Highest Altitude for the Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Ober

I want to go from Los Angeles to New Orleans but have a problem with altitude. What is the highest the Sunset Limited goes in its trip from L.A. the N.O.?

Well, it seems my original thoughts were wrong... it seemed very flat to me, but I bow to the more informed following posts!

Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
As was said Paisano pass outside Alpine is the highest but its,a gentle climb into the Davis Mountains in West Texas and from there it's a High Plateau to El Paso, then across the Desert to LA!

Shouldn't have a problem at all!

Not sure if my response got listed. Hope this will. Thanks for all your answers. I want to stay under 5280 and Paisano Pass at 5074 is great.

Now for my next question, although I think I already know the answer. How high does the CRESCENT go from New Orleans to New York? I believe it is well under 5280.

Again thanks for your last answers and any future responses.

Not sure if my response got listed. Hope this will. Thanks for all your answers. I want to stay under 5280 and Paisano Pass at 5074 is great.

Now for my next question, although I think I already know the answer. How high does the CRESCENT go from New Orleans to New York? I believe it is well under 5280.

Again thanks for your last answers and any future responses.
Atlanta at ~1000 feet may be as high as it goes or is near as high.

I am just here curious as to what is so special about 5280' that the OP does not want to breach? For the rest of humanity who use the metric system, that is 1609 meters, so I don't see anything significant there too.

Atlanta at ~1000 feet may be as high as it goes or is near as high.
It may not go much high but the Crescent route between Atlanta and Birmingham *feels* very hilly, with the tracks taking dozens of curves and running alongside river valleys.

The SL on the other hand, I had no clue it climbs up to 5000' because it is so gentle and open lands make it feel less "hilly"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back