Highest elevation on Sunset Ltd?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the highest elevation reached on the Sunset Ltd?
As report on another rail forum several years ago:

On the Union Pacific web site you can find a map showing high and low point elevations on their various lines. (This is also useful for the high points on the California Zephyr route.) It is at

www.uprr.com/aboutup/maps/attachments/elevations.pdf

On it you will see that the high point is elevation 5,078 feet at Paisano TX, milepost 619.26. (Zero is at Houston TX.) This point is between San Antonio and El Paso.

Your question has been answered with Alpine, TX. Unfortunately when you reach these high points you don't have the sense that you've been climbing. But what I found fascinating on my SL trip in 2010 was climbing up out of the Rio Grande valley west of El Paso. You get the real sense of climbing for a good ten miles while looking down at the Rio Grande River and the BNSF (ex-SF) tracks at river's edge on the opposite bank. It's neat to watch the SL just keep climbing, and climbing, and climbing for almost a half hour before hanging a left into New Mexico.

On the Union Pacific web site you can find a map showing high and low point elevations on their various lines. (This is also useful for the high points on the California Zephyr route.) It is at

On it you will see that the high point is elevation 5,078 feet at Paisano TX, milepost 619.26. (Zero is at Houston TX.) This point is between San Antonio and El Paso.
A Small World Indeed! My Grandfather was the Section Formean on the SP between Alpine and Paisano Pass when I was Born in 1944 and My Mom and I lived there @ the Section House in Paisano for almost 2 Years until my Dad Returned from WWII! At the time All SP Passenger Trains Except the Sunset Ltd. did Flag Stops @ Paisano!

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to: http://www.up.com/cs/groups/public/documents/up_pdf_nativedocs/pdf_highest_elevations.pdf

I notice that this link is different from that given by chakk, but this one comes up from a search. It seems that both links work. Also worth noting, the Sunset goes through the lowest point on the UP system which is also the lowest point on any railroad line in the US. -, yes that is minus 205 feet, as in 205 feet below sea level, at Forrum CA, milepost 612.00, zero at San Francisco. This is along the Salton Sea.

As an aside, if high elevations bother you, the Sunset Limit has the lowest high elevation of any cross country line. It also spends less of its time at high elevations than the other cross country trains. I would say that the CZ would spend the most time at high elevations. If you are driving, the lowest elevation crossing is I-20. Assuming that the elevation is the same, and it should be real close if not the same, as the parallel UP (ex T&P) line high elevation of 4,612 feet at Crusher TX.

Also, an interesting note is that the SL has the lowest crossing of the Continental Divide of the 4 midwest-west Amtrak routes. If fact you don't even realize it, as the nearest mountains are over 20-30 miles away! (This is in New Mexico BTW.)

Also, an interesting note is that the SL has the lowest crossing of the Continental Divide of the 4 midwest-west Amtrak routes. If fact you don't even realize it, as the nearest mountains are over 20-30 miles away! (This is in New Mexico BTW.)
On my last two SL trips, I had a waypoint with proximity alarm on my GPS for the Continental Divide...pretty much nothing there. Certainly no geological landmark!

I think I saw a small sign labelled "Continental Divide" at the specific location on my last journey aboard the SL

A Small World Indeed! My Grandfather was the Section Formean on the SP between Alpine and Paisano Pass when I was Born in 1944 and My Mom and I lived there @ the Section House in Paisano for almost 2 Years until my Dad Returned from WWII! At the time All SP Passenger Trains Except the Sunset Ltd. did Flag Stops @ Paisano!
Interesting info Jim. Even though I've been through the area a hundred times it's still hard for me to imagine multiple passenger trains hitting station after station on a rural line. Never seen anything like that in my lifetime. Paisano the town is apparently long gone but Marfa and Marathon are still around and featuring restored historic hotels. Alpine seems to be doing well. I enjoy stopping for dinner at the Holland Hotel whenever I'm passing through. Although I prefer the more modern Holiday Inn for actual sleeping. Does Alpine have a good breakfast place anywhere? That's the only thing that seems to be missing.

Interesting info Jim. Even though I've been through the area a hundred times it's still hard for me to imagine multiple passenger trains hitting station after station on a rural line. Never seen anything like that in my lifetime. Paisano the town is apparently long gone but Marfa and Marathon are still around and featuring restored historic hotels. Alpine seems to be doing well. I enjoy stopping for dinner at the Holland Hotel whenever I'm passing through. Although I prefer the more modern Holiday Inn for actual sleeping. Does Alpine have a good breakfast place anywhere? That's the only thing that seems to be missing.
Thanks Chris: I like to eat Breakfast @ Pennys Diner located @ The Oak Tree Inn on Highway 90 East on the Edge of Town.

(towards Marathon) It looks like a Street Car and is the only 24/7 Joint in Alpine! The Oak Tree Inn is where Railroad Crews stay !(Alpine is a crew Change Spot for Amtrak and UP) I've stayed in the Holland Hotel several times, its pretty Nice, its an Old Railroad Hotel but the Rooms are Remodeled and there is a Penthouse on Top that has a Good View of the town! Marfa has become a Trendy, Santa Fe Type Place with Artitists, Trendies and Hipsters hanging out in what used to be Basically a Cow and Railroad Town! Marathon has the Gage Hotel with a Good (Expensive) Dining Room and that's about it! My Favorite is Ft. Davis for the Observatory, Old Ft. Davis and the Small Town Atmosphere with really Good West Tex/N. Mexico Style Mexican Food! (I still stay in Alpine but there are Nice Hotels/Motels in Ft. Davis) Bahlmorea (Off I-10 North of Ft. Davis) has the Famous Springs with a great Natural Swimming Pool! (Similar to Barton Springs but Better! A Real Oasis in the Desert!) )

As for the Passenger Train Stops., the Old Highway 90 used to go past Toronto and Paisano Pass instead of the Current Route. There wasnt a Town per se @ Paisano but since it was a Major RR Junction and the Ranchers in the Area Caught Trains so it was a Flag Stop for all but the Sunset Ltd. which stopped in Marfa and Alpine! There was an Army Airfield between Alpine and Marfa (Marfa Army Air Field/Long Gone) where my Dad was stationed while doing Bomber Training for WWII! Marfa had an Army Base/POW Camp(Ft. DA Russell/now an Artist Colony forDonald Judds Followers) where my Uncle was Stationed, so the Trains would do Flag Stops @ Paisano for Soldiers to Board/De-Train!

I like to eat Breakfast @ Pennys Diner located @ The Oak Tree Inn on Highway 90 East on the Edge of Town. (towards Marathon) It looks like a Street Car and is the only 24/7 Joint in Alpine!
Ill have to check it out.

The Oak Tree Inn is where Railroad Crews stay !(Alpine is a crew Change Spot for Amtrak and UP)
Ive seen UP vehicles at the Hampton Inn (owned by the same company as the Holiday Inn Express). Maybe they were just passing through and not part of the standard rotation. Is the Oak Tree nice or is it just another dump? Have you ever stayed at The Maverick? Its always sold out when Im passing through but seems like a blast from the Route 66 past.

I've stayed in the Holland Hotel several times, its pretty Nice, its an Old Railroad Hotel but the Rooms are Remodeled and there is a Penthouse on Top that has a Good View of the town!
Ive had my share of experiences at the Holland Hotel. I found the Penthouse to be rather underwhelming for the name and the price. And Im not used to staff that simply disappear for the night. However, I did find the spooky Shining vibe of the place to be rather interesting and the dinner service is top rate for West Texas. Its just that when it comes time to sleep I like the cleaner and quieter Holiday Inn. I tried a couple of the off brand hotels and found them to be in really bad shape.

Marfa has become a Trendy, Santa Fe Type Place with Artitists, Trendies and Hipsters hanging out in what used to be Basically a Cow and Railroad Town!
I keep hearing that Marfa is all these things but whenever I pass through I see a tiny town that looks half asleep. I guess its time to make an effort to have a look around. They have a restored Paisano Hotel there so it might be fun to stay there and imagine the way it used to be.

Marathon has the Gage Hotel with a Good (Expensive) Dining Room and that's about it!
I remember when the Gage Hotel was just beginning the early stages of its eventual comeback, decades ago at this point, and how precarious the idea seemed in the first few years. It seems to have done pretty well though. They were asking $300+ per night last time I looked, which would be pretty reasonable for a true resort, but Im not sure the Gage Hotel qualifies in that regard. I suppose if youre just looking for an interesting place to stay while getting far away from whatever troubles you it may be worth it.

My Favorite is Ft. Davis for the Observatory, Old Ft. Davis and the Small Town Atmosphere with really Good West Tex/N. Mexico Style Mexican Food! (I still stay in Alpine but there are Nice Hotels/Motels in Ft. Davis)
Ive seen the Observatory and I agree its beautiful up there. Never stayed overnight though.

Bahlmorea (Off I-10 North of Ft. Davis) has the Famous Springs with a great Natural Swimming Pool! (Similar to Barton Springs but Better! A Real Oasis in the Desert!) )
Ive been to Pecos on business and that dump of a town left such a bad taste in my mouth that I never bothered to do any more exploring of the area, including Balmorhea. Ive never had anyone suggest I was missing out on anything, but you seem to be saying otherwise.

As for the Passenger Train Stops., the Old Highway 90 used to go past Toronto and Paisano Pass instead of the Current Route. There wasnt a Town per se @ Paisano but since it was a Major RR Junction and the Ranchers in the Area Caught Trains so it was a Flag Stop for all but the Sunset Ltd. which stopped in Marfa and Alpine! There was an Army Airfield between Alpine and Marfa (Marfa Army Air Field/Long Gone) where my Dad was stationed while doing Bomber Training for WWII! Marfa had an Army Base/POW Camp(Ft. DA Russell/now an Artist Colony forDonald Judds Followers) where my Uncle was Stationed, so the Trains would do Flag Stops @ Paisano for Soldiers to Board/De-Train!
Your post has helped remind me just how much history rests among those hills. Ill have to set aside some more time for exploring next time Im passing through.

Yeah, the Oak Tree Inn is basically a Dump, Id stay with the Holiday Inn Express or Ramada! I know there are a few Old Timer Tourist Cottage Motels in Alpine but Id think they arent too Clean or New/ havent heard of the Maverick? There sa prety nice Upscale Joint called the Riata (name of Rock Hudson and Liz Taylors Ranch in "Giant" which was Filmed in Marfa!)in Alpine !Sul Ross U. up on the hill has a really Good Museum of West Texas History, its Free and Open during School Terms! Theres even some stuff in the Archives on my Grandparents (The Felix Garretts) And "Give 'em Hell" Harry Truman spoke to a Crowd of 20,000+ in 1948 during his Famous Whistle Stop Campaign @ the Alpine Depot! (Which you Started the Name that Station Thread with and One I DID'T Get! :eek: ^_^ )

The Paisano Hotel is where most of the crew Stayed during the Filming of Giant (but not Rock or Liz/they had Houses but Jimmy Dean stayed there! Its Pricey but Upscale for West Texas and Marfa, even has an Indoor Pool/Grotto! There are Film and Art Festivals, Music, Art Galaries, Wine Bars etc. in Marfa but I find it Pretentious even though I played Little League Baseball there and spent Several Nice Childhood Summers! I Dont think its Worth spending lots of time in the Town, its not that Big! Of course there are the Marfa Lights on theHighway between Alpine and Marfa! (The state built a Nice Roadside Park/Viewing Area there!) Id stay away from Mexico too, Ojinaua is a Drug Cartel Town Now! (What a Shame, it used to be a great Place to Day Trip/Eat/Drink/Shop, even catch the Train to Chiuhaha City!

As to the Springs, the CCC Built the cabins (Spanish Style) around the Springs and Divers and Swimmers go there year around, its really a Nice Place to take a Picnic Lunch, see the Fish and Swim when its Warm! (In the Summer!) There is a Great Mexican Joint called The Black Bear in the Small Town of Balmohrea!

The Best place in Ft. Davis to stay is the Olympia Hotel and there are a Couple of mom and Pop Really Good Mexican Eating Places on the Highway by the Fort!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back