hints for a new train traveler

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tracy

I will be traveling on the southwest chief for an 11 hour ride. What would be the best accomodations. I'm not traveling over night, just during the day. Is a roomette comfortable for day travel or is coach more comfy.

AmtrakFan said:
A roomette is better I think you can get privacy, Free Meals and A better trip in general.
I am 6' tall and my husband is 6'3". Do you think we will both fit OK in there?

Also, what is the difference between a upper level coach seat and a lower level coach.

How are the deluxe bedrooms opposed to the roomette?

I apprciate you feedback, I'm a little of nervous beceuse I don't know anything about train travel, and I'm a scardy traveler. :)

Guest said:
AmtrakFan said:
A roomette is better I think you can get privacy, Free Meals and A better trip in general.

Also, what is the difference between a upper level coach seat and a lower level coach.

Tracy,

I don't think that you'll have to many problems regardless of where you choose to sit. The coach seats are reasonably comfy, even for tall people. Far more so than airline seat would be.

There are no differences between lower level seats and upper level seats, except for the fact that you are either on the upper or lower level of the car. The lower level is where you'll board the car, so if walking and climbing stairs is an issue, then you might wish to consider lower level seating.

However, know that in order to visit the dining car or the cafe car, one must climb to the upper level to do so.

As for a sleeper, you might find it a bit cramped in a roomette, since you're both tall. But I rather doubt that you'd have a problem. You'll just have to angle your legs to opposite corners since the seats face one another.

In the bedroom, you'll have no such problems as you get a long couch and a folding chair to sit on. You'll also have a private bathroom, as apposed to a public bathroom. But expect a much steeper cost for the Bedroom.

Either type of sleeper as someone else already menitoned, includes free meals in the dining car, which does help to offset part of the cost. And you of course can have privacy if you want it, something you can't get in coach.

If you click here you'll be taken to Amtrak's page describing the sleeping accomodations. Under the Superliner section, click the links for the different types of rooms offered. There you can view the dimensions of the rooms, and see a 360 degree image of the rooms.

Hope this all helps, and don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions. :)

Now I'm between 6'1" and 6'6" depending on which convienence store I'm leavin (6'2" according to the DMV), my Mom's 5'11", we never had an issue in the sleepers (both Superliner and Viewliner), hope that helps.

The view from lower level can sometimes be blocked by trees, shrubbery, dirt mounds etc; where the upper level often is above all this. You might want to consider this in your decision,

MLH

There is no through-train foot traffic in the lower level, and the toilets are "right there" instead of downstairs.

Guest said:
AmtrakFan said:

I apprciate you feedback, I'm a little of nervous beceuse I don't know anything about train travel, and I'm a scardy traveler. :)
Yes you will be fine in there I am 5'9 and my Dad is 6'2 and we fit fine in there.

One thing you could do is to go to Amtrak's website, and read the demensions of the various accomodations. Then take some masking tape and measure out the demensions of the footprint on the floor. Regarding the "roomette," keep in mind that when the bunks are down, there will be almost NO floorspace left over. The lower of the two bunks is the larger one. Many passengers have been surprised to discover the size of some of the accomodations. They are ok for two people, but it may be more cozy than what you might be accustomed to. The roomette has worked fine for me, and I'm 6' 2", then again, I was traveling alone.

Another issue you have to take into account is your expectations of travel. I've been aboard several trains where one group of people was having a pretty good time, and others who were describiing it as the trip from Hell. In one instance, the former group used the time aboard the train as time that was spent with friends, while the latter group was expecting an experience out of "North by Northwest."

See the web tips at On Track On Line's website.

Thanks for the input everyone, it is helping me alot!

If I decide to take a snooze in the roomette can I pull a bed down or do I have to wait for a certain time?

You can pull the upper down or just push the seats together at any time. The attendant will be glad to help you.

Guest said:
Thanks for the input everyone, it is helping me alot! If I decide to take a snooze in the roomette can I pull a bed down or do I have to wait for a certain time?
Should just one of you want to snooze, the other can always head to the lounge car. I don't think you'd have any headspace left with the upper berth down.

IIRC, all Superliner-equipped trains have Sightseer lounges. I can't think of one that doesn't.

Sam Damon said:
I don't think you'd have any headspace left with the upper berth down.
Aloha

I travel alone, I always leave the upper bunk down for storage. I am large, 6 foot, 300 lb. I prefer the Roomette.

Sam Damon said:
Guest said:
Thanks for the input everyone, it is helping me alot! If I decide to take a snooze in the roomette can I pull a bed down or do I have to wait for a certain time?
Should just one of you want to snooze, the other can always head to the lounge car. I don't think you'd have any headspace left with the upper berth down.

IIRC, all Superliner-equipped trains have Sightseer lounges. I can't think of one that doesn't.
Not true, theres still room to be able to sit while the Upper Bunk is down, granted you can't completely stand up, but its not like you can't sit up down there.

The seat can be set in straight up, recliner, or flat position. Setting the chair is quite tricky. Ask your sleeper attendant about it.

As for coach class, it is comfortable, similiar to first class seat in airplane. It may be noisy, but people on trains love to talk because they're in a relaxed mood.

Well, I'm Getting excited!!! It sounds like a good time and it appears people who ride trains are very nice.

I found a great website that lets me look around the inside of a train. It's called "passenger rail virtual tour".

Any menu suggestions?

Food? :lol:

I don't think I've ever had a bad meal with Amtrak, all of their stuff is pretty darn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back