Historic East Penn Railroad Stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bms

OBS Chief
Completed in 1859, the East Penn Railroad covered 35.8 miles with 18 stops from Allentown to Reading. For most of its history this line was part of the Reading Railroad, providing a crucial link between the road's mainline, the Lehigh Valley, and New York City. The line still sees heavy freight service but last carried passenger trains in 1963. Today I visited a few of the historic stations in rural Berks County, Pennsylvania.

mertz2.jpgReading Railroad Mertztown depot, built in 1895. My first thought was that this building is not long for this world, but a gentleman driving by informed me that the local historical society recently bought the building with plans to restore it and move it to a nearby park.

mertzd.jpgReading Railroad Topton depot, built in 1884 and renovated by the Market Cafe owners. Unfortunately the coffee shop had just closed for the day, but there are a couple of interior pics available at their website.

fleet.jpgReading Railroad Fleetwood depot, built in 1924. These trucks were parked in the same spots a couple of years ago on the Google Street View - I guess to get a good shot of the building, one would have to visit during the business day and hope the trucks are on the road.

fleetold1.jpgNot totally sure but based on the information I found online, I think this is the original East Penn Railroad Fleetwood station built in 1859. If I'm right, this is one of the oldest stations still standing in the State and should be restored. It definitely looked to be in much better shape than the "modern" 1924 station a few blocks away.

Last edited:
Back