historical info needed: Amtrak collision @ Sellers, SC - ca. 1977

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The engineer on Amtrak 90, the Palmetto, was Joseph Brown {Brownie) Thames, as stated. Also in the cab were Trainmaster W. C. (Carl) Wheeler, from Rocky Mount, NC, and Parnell Vann, a shop superintendent, also from Rocky Mount. I cannot recall the name of the fireman, who survived the crash. The Messrs. Wheeler and Vann had riddent the "Circus Train" from Rocky Mount to Florence the night before and were on their way back home.

At the time of the accident, I was a Special Agent in the Property Protection Department (railroad police) at Rocky Mount. This accident was covered by personnel from our office at Florence as it was in their jurisdiction.

Fred Holdsworth -

Hello everyone , I just came across this story about the Amtrak Dec 6th 1977 crash ....I was a crew member on this train , and I can tell you that the engineer was laying on the horn for miles ...a steady hard blast until we hit the logging truck ...that was stuck on the tracks ...I heard there were 3-4 people in that tractor cab .... There were 3 or more on the head end of the train . The fireman was not one of them, he was at the back of the engine when I found him. I was the first up on the engine after the accident. I was working in the first class passenger car which was the second car behind the engine . I was banging with a heavy axe to see if anyone was alive on the engine . and yelling for help , and the fireman responded . I was always under the impression that the accident was in Dillon, S.C. but I quess Sellers, S.C. is close enough ? The fireman had given up his seat for an Amtrak official of some sort......possibly a trainmaster from Florence S. C. I believe ...not sure. To make this clear I was an On Board Attendant at the time , and ended up becoming an engineer on the New York Division for Conrail , Amtrak , and New Jersey Transit .........I remember after the accident was cleared up, we were asked to stay in Florence for a few days so that we could all give our statements for the investigation. Later we received notices to appear in court on the crews behalf ....this was an accident I will never forget. This was my regular run....... out of New York to Savannah, Ga. and return. I have plenty more details . I have not been in touch with any of the crew members for years so this is a little strange to find these comments . R. G. New York Div former railroad engineer.......and wish I was still doing it....I loved that job every single day. My heart goes out to the families that lost someone on that day. .....I remember that engineer the most because I had just given him a coffee, and a danish from the clubcar........
Roy, we would love to talk with you. I can't believe by complete accident that I found this thread. My father-in-law, T. Carl Wheeler, was the "Amtrak official", that died that day. My husband Thaddeus Carl Wheeler, Jr. and his brother Spencer M. Wheeler, Carl's sons, and I would truly love to hear the entire story. How do I get to you our email address and your email address?

Unfortunately, Mr. Gomez was not a forum member when he posted his item. As he was a "guest", I assume the forum will not have any contact details available for him...
He mentions going on to work at some other railroad operations, it may be possible to contact him through them?
Good Luck!

Roy, we would love to talk with you. I can't believe by complete accident that I found this thread. My father-in-law, T. Carl Wheeler, was the "Amtrak official", that died that day. My husband Thaddeus Carl Wheeler, Jr. and his brother Spencer M. Wheeler, Carl's sons, and I would truly love to hear the entire story. How do I get to you our email address and your email address?

@PereMarquette810 might be able to help you. He is really good at data mining and finding just about anything you could ever ask for.

Back