History of Pullman porters

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to say on my most recent trip, four of the five SCA's we had were excellent and we could easily tell they loved their job. Each of the four had been working for Amtrak over 10 years, the longest was 17 years. The fifth was a really nice guy, very reserved, very quiet, did his job, but seamed afraid to interact with the passengers or make any PA announcements. I made sure Amtrak knew how good the SCAs were.

A truly excellent overview of the life and times of the African-American Pullman porter is contained in the book, "Rising From The Rails" by Larry Tye. Well researched and intelligently organized, it accurately describes the genesis of both the Pullman Company and the contradictions of its all-black porters' lives.

I found it on Amazon a few years ago. This thread reminded me I want, no make that need, to read it again.

The rise of the railroad porter is a great success story. At a time when jobs were scarce for our black citizens George Pullman came along and employed them on the trains. They started at low wages and then worked their way up until a Union was established and wages became fairer. Many railroad porters became prominent citizens in their communities.Today the tradition carries on in part on Amtrak and most of the SCA's that we have met over the years (with few exceptions) have been excellent. On our 2017 trip Bill on the Capitol Ltd and Machlan on the CZ were top notch guys.

Back