Hold music

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelkfla

Engineer
On hold at AGR for 25 minutes, and hearing an assortment of pop/soft rock hits spanning the decades from the '60s to contemporary. Is this new? I like it a lot better than the typical endless repeating elevator music snippet.

I would like it even more if it wasn't interrupted every 30 seconds for a useless announcement.

I, for one, appreciate the hold music as it keeps my Bluetooth connected. I use a Bluetooth device that sends audio to both of my processors. If there is silence after a short bit the BT disconnects. Then when the person starts talking again I miss the first few words while the BT realizes there’s audio to transmit.

I, for one, appreciate the hold music as it keeps my Bluetooth connected. I use a Bluetooth device that sends audio to both of my processors. If there is silence after a short bit the BT disconnects. Then when the person starts talking again I miss the first few words while the BT realizes there’s audio to transmit.
For a different reason but to essentially serve the same purpose, that is to make it clear to the listener that the line was connected, classic telephone exchanges connected "white noise" at a low volume to every connected circuit. Of course these days such niceties are gone so you listen to some inane music instead. :rolleyes:

Ill think of you and know its all for a good cause the next time I’m drugged to sleep with the music. 😎

Music selection is actually a major consideration for large call centers, since licensing is an issue, and client preferences matter (if the center serves multiple clients, incoming number dialed will route as needed)

My favorite is the short pause between the music and the announcement, causing me to frantically unmute and put the call off speakerphone so I don't miss the agent.
After I've turned the patronizing announcements and cheesy AM radio quality music down enough to not bother me I can no longer tell when someone answers the phone.

Music selection is actually a major consideration for large call centers, since licensing is an issue, and client preferences matter (if the center serves multiple clients, incoming number dialed will route as needed)
What sort of person prefers Cisco Opus Number 1? If copyright rules were rational the 1960's Dr. Who intro track would be public domain by now. Now that would fire me up for some customer service!

On hold at AGR for 25 minutes, and hearing an assortment of pop/soft rock hits spanning the decades from the '60s to contemporary. Is this new? I like it a lot better than the typical endless repeating elevator music snippet.

I would like it even more if it wasn't interrupted every 30 seconds for a useless announcement.
The person I was on hold with last night said she had to break in at regular intervals or their call center software would just drop the call. I definitely appreciated that, and that she didn't just want to do a callback (apparently an option, but would be a different person so would have no context). I actually enjoyed the eclectic music over generic muzak, along with the calm professionalism of the CSR. Definitely be kind to them if you need to talk to them - probably the only people as stressed as the travelers are those that are having to deal with dozens of those stranded for hours every day.

Back