Hoosier State/Iowa Pacific Transition Thread

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing this back on topic, I "heard" elsewhere, but saw no proof, that IP has already had a bustitution for some reason. I'll post more if I learn anything about it.
It happened because Amtrak forgot to deadhead the equipment to position it for that run. I hope this was a genuine goofup and not something that was done intentionally, something that Amtrak has a sad history of indulging in when they lose out on something. Remember the silly performance that they put up after they lost the VRE contract?

Bringing this back on topic, I "heard" elsewhere, but saw no proof, that IP has already had a bustitution for some reason. I'll post more if I learn anything about it.
It happened because Amtrak forgot to deadhead the equipment to position it for that run. I hope this was a genuine goofup and not something that was done intentionally, something that Amtrak has a sad history of indulging in when they lose out on something. Remember the silly performance that they put up after they lost the VRE contract?
On the one hand, it was the first day and this whole thing came together at the last minute...it is entirely possible that someone goofed in briefing the crew about this. It happens, and they did sign an agreement with IP, after all.

That being said, I think there's a clear case for IP to take their service daily ASAP. Failing that, adding "extra legs" to avoid the deadheading might be necessary (though I think that would only go to 5x weekly).

Reading the discussion on trainorders one gets the impression that it was a remote Amtrak management decision to not do the deadhead that surprised everyone else, IP, CSX and even the Amtrak crew on location. So it would seem that a lack of situational awareness on part of Amtrak decision makers screwed up on a simple process. It happens.

Ed Ellis said OTOH, that they had a telephone call with all parties involved and everyone is now on the same page, and hopefully it won't happen again. Now the question is, who will have to eat the cost of all those buses caused by Amtrak goofup. :)

Reading the discussion on trainorders one gets the impression that it was a remote Amtrak management decision to not do the deadhead that surprised everyone else, IP, CSX and even the Amtrak crew on location. So it would seem that a lack of situational awareness on part of Amtrak decision makers screwed up on a simple process. It happens.

Ed Ellis said OTOH, that they had a telephone call with all parties involved and everyone is now on the same page, and hopefully it won't happen again. Now the question is, who will have to eat the cost of all those buses caused by Amtrak goofup. :)
Ideally it would be Amtrak; that said, I suspect there will be a cost split of some sort (Amtrak goofed on it but the net cost was likely limited)...this is probably going to end up actually being split between INDOT and Amtrak when it all comes out.

Also, I changed the name of the thread since the discussion has spilled far beyond the status of the train in April.

Now that Amtrak doesn't have the HS to use as a hospital train, The Cardinal has the duties.

From a Chicago railcam, this was this morning's train burdened down with a bunch of stuff going to Beech Grove.

Card 1.JPG

Card 2.JPG

Card 3.JPG

I have a couple of questions about operations.

On days that the Cardinal runs between Indianapolis and Chicago, are the IP cars tacked onto it or do the passengers just ride in the Amtrak cars?

On days that the Hoosier State runs, how are the Amtrak crews handled? I remember reading something a while back about how the crew which took the train to Chicago was also expected to take it back to Indianapolis but frequently ran out of time, thereby losing time waiting for a recrew enroute.

jb

The answer to the first question is that the IP consists is deadheaded attached to the Cardinal while the passengers ride in the Cardinal. INDOT's contract with IP is to use their consists for 4 trips each way per week using their OBS crew. So naturally when the consist is deadheaded on a Cardinal day there is no OBS crew on duty and hence no one gets to ride in those cars.

I don't know much bout how Amtrak T&E crew is allocated. There is apparently an issue of allocating additional T&E crew on the deadhead days, which is what caused that one bustitution.

Yikes. What a mess. By my reckoning, here's the schedule:

Sun: 851 runs IND to CHI and returns as 850

Mon: 51 deadheads the IP consist from IND to CHI

850 runs CHI to IND under its own power

Tue: 851 runs IND to CHI under its own power

50 deadheads the IP consist from CHI to IND

Wed: 851 runs IND to CHI and returns as 850

Thu: IP consist reposes in IND

Fri: 851 runs IND to CHI and then returns as 850

Sat: IP consist reposes in IND

jb

So what do they do on Monday when 51 is late? Seems like for the money that IP has to pay Amtrak to switch the train at IND and CHI they would do better to just pay a crew to run it (with passengers) to CHI - especially if 51 is late.

Same thing on Tuesday - run it with a crew and passengers as a separate train but 10 minutes in front of or behind 50.

The switching that is done at both IND and CHI has to be costing something.

jb

I suggest you write in your good suggestions to InDOT, or even pm eee on trainorders, or message Ed Ellis on Facebook, if you really wish someone to take it on and do something about it

Last edited by a moderator:
There is absolutely no logical reason for me to ever take this train, but after looking at the menu, I will have to find one. Plus, perhaps, send a snarky letter to Amtrak saying "How about giving us a menu like the Hoosier State has?"

I just tried to sign up for their newsletter, but it says I have to confirm in an email they sent me (but I didn't receive an email). Did this happen to anyone else? It is, of course, not critical that I receive their newsletter, but I thought it might suggest some trip that would be a good excuse to take that train and have a delicious breakfast while riding it! :p

I just tried to sign up for their newsletter, but it says I have to confirm in an email they sent me (but I didn't receive an email). Did this happen to anyone else? It is, of course, not critical that I receive their newsletter, but I thought it might suggest some trip that would be a good excuse to take that train and have a delicious breakfast while riding it! :p
I signed up for it and the confirming email came back to me immediately and clicking on the confirm button in the email took me back and said I was signed up.

Do you have another email you could try, check your spam folder?

Thanks, MrFSS--

I just tried it again and immediately got two emails, so the first one must have been delayed in the electronic air somewhere. I clicked the confirm button and am now signed up.

Of course, I can get eggs and hash browns in any south Jersey diner, but the view isn't anywhere near as good as the train view would be! :p

Thanks, MrFSS--

I just tried it again and immediately got two emails, so the first one must have been delayed in the electronic air somewhere. I clicked the confirm button and am now signed up.

Of course, I can get eggs and hash browns in any south Jersey diner, but the view isn't anywhere near as good as the train view would be! :p
Especially the view from a Dome Car,!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back