Hospital train heading west

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
A special has been spotted today in Charlottesville, VA headed west over the route of the CARDINAL (most likely going to Beech Grove). It was carrying damaged AMTRAK equipment, a sort of who's who of eastern train wrecks of the past several months. Most of the cars are from the AUTO TRAIN wreck of April 18th. But one of the P-42's (#50) is from the sideswiping incident in Baltimore in mid-June (northbound PALMETTO and MARC). The consist, as spotted and reported elsewhere on the internet:

516 P-32 locomotive pulling train

32116 Superliner sleeper

32501 Superliner Deluxe sleeper

34120 Superliner coach

32090 Superliner sleeper

34129 Superliner coach

33100 Superliner Auto Train Lounge

10 P-42 facing west

50 P-42 facing east (probably because front is bashed in)

Does anyone know how engine 10 was damaged? I was thinking the Kensington derailment, but neither engine derailed in that one.

Hopefully this is a good sign, given that David Gunn ordered repairs to resume on equipment at Beech Grove. Hospital trains in the past several years have actually been funeral trains, since nothing has yet been done with them at Beech Grove.

50 also derailed on #97 in apr?may? when it hit a log truck south of florence sc. the engineer, a longtime friend, retired disability after derailment.

97 derailed on 5/23/02 I believe. I don't know if 50 or 74 was in the lead that day, as they were carrying two engines. I'll check my tape when I get my new camcorder but I think that train may have originated in Sanford, as they have a P-32-8 that is working out of there, what number it is I haven't the slightest. Now #10 Engine I just had on 7/16/02 on P098, so whatever it is it must have happened since then. Also of note: on 98 today we had 25077 which was the 40 car on the 97 derailment. The stairs were bent up a little bit, and were hard to open. Also the car still leaks water. She thinks around Rocky Mount that car will be out of water. Especially since the 40-41 were full out of Orlando, where we picked up 155, 144 of which were in coach. OUCH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back