Hotel in NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gaspeamtrak

Lead Service Attendant
I'm thinking about taking my wife down to NYC for 2 nights at Easter and they are quoting me $309.00 total for Friday and Saturday night which seems pretty good as it's for 2 nights and includes all taxes!!!

It's right across from Penn station and I will not have to worry about cabs when we are going to catch our train home which is a plus. My wife is pretty easy going but she will not stay in a dump either! :rolleyes:

Does anybody have comments or has stayed there lately and can tell me about this hotel?

Thanks in advance for any help!!! :p

I'm thinking about taking my wife down to NYC for 2 nights at Easter and they are quoting me $309.00 total for Friday and Saturday night which seems pretty good as it's for 2 nights and includes all taxes!!!It's right across from Penn station and I will not have to worry about cabs when we are going to catch our train home which is a plus. My wife is pretty easy going but she will not stay in a dump either! :rolleyes:

Does anybody have comments or has stayed there lately and can tell me about this hotel?

Thanks in advance for any help!!! :p
I assume it's the Hotel Pennsylvania which has some pretty mixed reviews. But the price is extraordinary for downtown NYC so go for it!

Incidentally, we are booked into the Hotel Penn in March and our rooms are much, much more expensive. But as we are on the Cardinal at 06:45 it's raeally the only option.

Read reviews of the hotel on www.tripadvisor.com. If what you see is OK, then go for it. Personally, I wouldn't deal with it. Check out the prices for Hilton at Penn station in Newark, which I have seen for 149 a night too. You can catch PATH to and from New York, or NJT.

Also, Check the courtyard at Pavonia Newport. That is a marriott property that is right next to the pavonia PATH station. That is a 15 to 30 minute ride from 34th street/herald square which is 1 block from Penn Station.

I stayed last year at the Doubletree Metropolitan Hotel, which was about $160 for a night, IIRC. Just a few stops on the E from Penn Station. Nice, clean and a decent price for the area.

As a family of four planning to visit New York this summer, any and all hotel recommendations would be very much appreciated. For us, price, beds (we prefer one king with a sleeper sofa for the kids), and near a train station (subway, PATH, LIRR, NJT, etc.) are our highest priorities.

Right now, we are scheduled for the Hampton Inn in Newark. We are getting the exact bed arrangement mentioned above for about $179 a night. The only bad thing is this hotel is not near a train station. We will have to rely on the hotel shuttle to get back and forth to Newark Penn. I have read really good reviews on the hotel and shuttle service, but would prefer to not have to rely on it if possible.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gaspeamtrak,

Frankly the biggest complaint that I've heard about the Hotel Penn is the fact that the rooms are small. That's not exactly uncommon in this city, especially for an older hotel, which the Hotel Penn is. But it's location to NYP can't be beat.

I'm going to NYC next month and staying at a Hilton Garden Inn in Secaucus,NJ, which is a 15 minute transit bus ride from Times Square. I think it's $152/night with good reviews.
Betty,

First, HGI's are the Hilton Family's most consistant brand of hotel. If you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all. But IMHO they always very good, clean, and decent. I've stayed in this particular one myself and overall I was quite pleased with it. The only thing that I'd caution you against would be taking advantage of their room service. Unless things have changed in the almost 3 years since I stayed there, they used a local Mexican resturant to provide their lunch & dinner room service, and I thought the quality was quite poor. Breakfast is cooked on the hotel premises, so no problem there.

It is very close to NYC, although I'm not sure just where one catches the bus to reach the city, but the hotel should be able to tell you.

I will also tell you that Kevin Korell (aka Superliner Diner and author of the hotels near rail transit pages) also uses this hotel on occasions for his job and I've never heard him complain about things either.

As a family of four planning to visit New York this summer, any and all hotel recommendations would be very much appreciated. For us, price, beds (we prefer one king with a sleeper sofa for the kids), and near a train station (subway, PATH, LIRR, NJT, etc.) are our highest priorities.
Right now, we are scheduled for the Hampton Inn in Newark. We are getting the exact bed arrangement mentioned above for about $179 a night. The only bad thing is this hotel is not near a train station. We will have to rely on the hotel shuttle to get back and forth to Newark Penn. I have read really good reviews on the hotel and shuttle service, but would prefer to not have to rely on it if possible.

Thanks!
Printman,

The possibilities are too numerous to mention frankly. What I would suggest is to start with the following three lists from Kevin's hotel lists and see what's available for the dates that you want and with the configuration of beds that you need. Once you've found places of interest that meet your needs, then we can talk about which ones might be best.

Connecticut

Newark, NJ

New York City

Thanks, Alan. I've never stayed at an AGI. I think we'll be eating mostly in NYC and not at the hotel, except for breakfast. We'll see how it goes.

Edit: That should be HGI, not AGI.

Last edited by a moderator:
A family of 4 can stay at the Big Apple Hostel in NYC Times Square for $140 per night. The rooms are 4 person bunk beds so you wouldn't be sharing a room with any strangers. Its itty bitty but right in the thick of NYC. They also have a kitchen with a deli next door where you can purchase food and not eat out every single meal every day. You are a few blocks away from the MTA. A hostel is not extremely spiffy, but it worked for us last year. www.bigapplehostel.com.

Al

Printman, it looks like the prices have gone up some since we stayed last summer. You can find my review at www.tripadvisor.com on page 6 of the reviews of the Big Apple Hostel. They do have private rooms as well but those are for groups of two.

Printman,
The possibilities are too numerous to mention frankly. What I would suggest is to start with the following three lists from Kevin's hotel lists and see what's available for the dates that you want and with the configuration of beds that you need. Once you've found places of interest that meet your needs, then we can talk about which ones might be best.

Connecticut

Newark, NJ

New York City
Yeah, I have been through his lists. I was just hoping for hotels that other people have stayed in that they would recommend.

My sister stayed there recently. She said she would have enjoyed a park bench better. Apparently, there are hot and cold rooms. I wouldn't want to spend a week-end in agony.

Walt, your link does not seem to work.
Yea, if you noticed, I edited my post (actually a few times).

Not too sure why this forum insists on modifying the link. :huh:

Here it is again:

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotel...ium=email_top20
Well I'm not sure what happened to the original link Walt, although I will tell you that it was vastly different than the one you just provided. But in any event, I couldn't tell what was wrong, so I replaced it with a link to the Embassy Suites home page to at least help out a bit, since I couldn't find what page on the Embassy Suites site you were really trying to link to.

By the way, the offer at the link above is no longer good anyhow and I think that even when it was good, it stopped before Easter weekend.

Well I'm not sure what happened to the original link Walt, although I will tell you that it was vastly different than the one you just provided. But in any event, I couldn't tell what was wrong, so I replaced it with a link to the Embassy Suites home page to at least help out a bit, since I couldn't find what page on the Embassy Suites site you were really trying to link to.
By the way, the offer at the link above is no longer good anyhow and I think that even when it was good, it stopped before Easter weekend.
The original post, I edited and re-edited several times.

The first time, even though the link I included started with http:// the forum here added another http:// in front of it, creating http://http://. I tried to fix that, but then something else changed. I gave up. :blink:

The link in my second post, was a different link I hoped might work better here.

Anyway, I think you are onto the root problem. The first link doesn't work because the offer has sold out (Glad I got my reservations in last week!).d

Thanks.

I stayed at the Hilton at Newark Penn for a weekend and it was a great place, with options for NJT or PATH trains into New York. Rate was about $96 a night - good place for a weekend stopover.

No doubt the Hotel Pennsylvania has seen better days. But it is ok by me, and it seems to get plenty of business even if it is kind of tired, dated, etc. Can't beat the location!!

It is a good place to be if the power goes out-----all of the power, that is-----as in the Great Northeast Power Blackout of 8/13/04. I speak from personal experience.

Yup, I had just been toured around earlier in the day by our fearless moderator AlanB.

I was in Times Square when the power went out so I walked back down to the hotel. (I had checked in the night before, luggage already there,etc)

Two things: I was able to go to my room, since the thing you slide your card through was on a different system and it was workng. And thanks to the hotel being so out of date one could still open the windows. My night in the stufff dark room was miserable but it beat usng concrete for a pillow as folks at snazzier newer places had to do like the Marriott in Time Square. I was able to climb the 15 floors because outside the stairwell at each floor there was a window so one could read the floor names that way.

The power came back on about 24 hours later. Alan and I re-conneted by phone and he kept me abreast of Amtrak's eventual return to full service, step by step, about three phone calls I think. I was able to return to Atlanta on the date my ticket already read. So very fortunate.

That hotel has quite a bit of history, the day of the big bands, etc. Lindy's Restaurant is next to it, that is a name from the days of radio and early TV and such. Known for its hamburgers and for its cheesecake.

Now------nobody likes to be told what they already know. And all of us are railfans-----but we are of different ages, we have had vastly different experiences, we live in different places and are interested in different sides of the railroad hobby. So----some may not know the signficance of the name "Pennsyvlania"

for a hotel located in New York. This was so named because it is named for the grand old Pennsylvania Railroad.

There was a time before Conrail, before Amtrak, etc when the Pennsyvlania Railroad (operating its Broadway Limited and many,many other trains) and the New York Central Railroad, out of Grand Central (operatng its 20th Century Limited and many,many other trains)were the big time ringleaders of rail service all over the region between say, Chicago and St. Louis and Detroit and points between say, New York and DC, all over. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis, all over. On many routes they were in fierce competition with each other. When they merged into Penn Central it was said to be a most unhappy event.

There were other railroads, of course, several, but these were the big boys, thus the significance of the name Pennsyvania. From the old railroad of that name. Guess it owned and/or operated the hotel at one time, not sure about that.

The first time, even though the link I included started with http:// the forum here added another http:// in front of it, creating http://http://. I tried to fix that, but then something else changed. I gave up. :blink:
Yes Walt, when you click on the icon to insert a link, by default it supplies an HTTP:// to help one out. Normally when I'm doing links, I'm just cutting and pasting them, so I automatically delete the HTTP that pops up in the window, since I've already got that in what I cut and pasted.

http://www.riversidetowerhotel.com/more.html

This hotel is on Riverside Dr and 80th St. Its in a great neighborhood, and Its 3 blocks from the subway(Its across the street from the park where Tom Hanks kissed Meg Ryan in "You've got Mail". The rooms are small and haven't been refurbished in ages, but very clean. They cost about $114 per night. Here is the link.

Mark

Also, Check the courtyard at Pavonia Newport. That is a marriott property that is right next to the pavonia PATH station. That is a 15 to 30 minute ride from 34th street/herald square which is 1 block from Penn Station.
I have stayed there a few times. Its in a good location.

I stayed at the Newark Airport/Elizabeth Courtyard Marriott for $80 per night a few years ago. It's a bit of a hassle getting to NY--hotel shuttle to EWR, EWR AirTrain to NJT, NJT to NWK (or directly to NYP), and PATH to NYC. Takes about an hour, and the savings get pretty much wiped out if you have more than one person doing the shuffle.

Still, if you're on a budget, it works. Of course, if you're on a really tight budget, you'd probably pick a hostel, but for midrangers who want a decent place but want to save some money at the expense of some convenience, it's not a bad choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back