hotel/motel near Richmond , VA Staple Mill Road Mill station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gaspeamtrak

Lead Service Attendant
I am thinking of doing a trip in Oct. from Buffalo (Depew) to Richmond , Va and back.

Just doing this to ride the trains! :D

I'm looking for cheap($50 to @75? hotel/motel near this station as I will be laying over about 6 to 8 hours?

Is there anything within walking distance?

Its just me so I don't need a palace, just a good bed and shower! There is no wife this trip! :)

Thanks, not sure I may have asked this a few months ago!

There are inexpensive hotels on West Broad St about a mile and a half from the station. That's as close as it gets. Someone with better local knowledge would have to comment on the advisability of this walk in the dark.

There are inexpensive hotels on West Broad St about a mile and a half from the station. That's as close as it gets. Someone with better local knowledge would have to comment on the advisability of this walk in the dark.
The nearest motel would be a little over a 2 mile walk. The area is safe so no worries if you want to walk. Look for motels in the 6600-8800 block of West Broad St. They would all be within 5 miles of the station on Staples Mill. There is a Super 8 and Econo Lodge on W Broad that are both fine. Lots of chain restaurants nearby within walking distance.

The nearest motel would be a little over a 2 mile walk. The area is safe so no worries if you want to walk. Look for motels in the 6600-8800 block of West Broad St. They would all be within 5 miles of the station on Staples Mill. There is a Super 8 and Econo Lodge on W Broad that are both fine. Lots of chain restaurants nearby within walking distance.
Thanks "Big Iron" for the info!I have chosen the Econo Lodge

I was just wondering if you have any idea about cabs and what the fares are?I'm looking at taking "Veteran Cabs of Richmond, VA?

Are they at the station?

Thanks! :D

I was just wondering if you have any idea about cabs and what the fares are?I'm looking at taking "Veteran Cabs of Richmond, VA?

Are they at the station?

I'm booked on train #280 out of Buffalo,Depew in October and am wondering what the consist of this train is ?

engine, coaches, snack/business class is the last car?

Are they at the station?

There are usually 6-7 cabs, from a variety of companies, that are lined up whenever a train arrives. Veterans has been around for as long as I can remember in my 53 years here on earth. You probably wont get to choose as they are lined up and leave in order. I do recall that there was a tiff when Amtrak got rid of the "independent" cab drivers that were causing alot of complaints so the cabs at the station will be from reputable firms. I dont know the exact fare but it is less than ten bucks, probably closer to five. My wife works on Broad St. very close to the Econo Lodge and takes cabs to work from the station when she travels on business. The cabbies don't like it much as it is not a big fare for them but.......that is their problem. You should ask the Econo Lodge folks if they have a shuttle that could take you back to the Station, likely not but worth the ask.

Are they at the station?

There are usually 6-7 cabs, from a variety of companies, that are lined up whenever a train arrives. Veterans has been around for as long as I can remember in my 53 years here on earth. You probably wont get to choose as they are lined up and leave in order. I do recall that there was a tiff when Amtrak got rid of the "independent" cab drivers that were causing alot of complaints so the cabs at the station will be from reputable firms. I dont know the exact fare but it is less than ten bucks, probably closer to five. My wife works on Broad St. very close to the Econo Lodge and takes cabs to work from the station when she travels on business. The cabbies don't like it much as it is not a big fare for them but.......that is their problem. You should ask the Econo Lodge folks if they have a shuttle that could take you back to the Station, likely not but worth the ask.
I was wondering if anybody knows if there is a local transit/bus service from the station over towards the econlodge?

Thanks...

Are they at the station?

I was wondering if anybody knows if there is a local transit/bus service from the station over towards the econlodge?

Thanks...
I just checked the GRTC (Greater Richmond Transit Co) website and the short answer is no. The long answer is Route 18 (Henrico Govt Center) MAY be an option but it looks like you would need to walk about half the distance. You would need to walk from RVR to the Dumbarton park and ride lot, which has been mentioned here as a not so convenient overflow parking lot for RVR. Then you would only ride a short distance to the Broad St. and Glenside Drive then have to walk to the Econo Lodge....and the service does not run on the weekends.

http://www.ridegrtc.com/planning-your-trip/find-a-route/

I've attached the link. If it doesn't work just google GRTC.

Are they at the station?

Thanks...
I just checked the GRTC (Greater Richmond Transit Co) website and the short answer is no. The long answer is Route 18 (Henrico Govt Center) MAY be an option but it looks like you would need to walk about half the distance. You would need to walk from RVR to the Dumbarton park and ride lot, which has been mentioned here as a not so convenient overflow parking lot for RVR. Then you would only ride a short distance to the Broad St. and Glenside Drive then have to walk to the Econo Lodge....and the service does not run on the weekends.

http://www.ridegrtc.com/planning-your-trip/find-a-route/

I've attached the link. If it doesn't work just google GRTC.
Thanks! I will look into it... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back