Hotels at Amtrak connection points nationwide

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In spite of those indications, Arrow shows early morning Cascades service to and from VAC resuming on 1 August:
VAC - PDX.png
Only cross-border train remaining to show up on Arrow is the Maple Leaf.

Last edited:
Catty-corner from Penn Station is the Stewart Hotel. (For decades it was The Governor Clinton and my father always stayed at it, not the Statler which is now the Pennsylvania Hotel.) ww.stewarthotelnyc.com 371 7th Ave, New York, NY 10001 212-563-1800
And in St. Paul the Hyatt Place is adjacent & in St Louis the OYO Hotel St. Louis Downtown.
1606855444041.pngAnd the elegant Union Station Hotel is very close.
1606854956651.png

And in St. Paul the Hyatt Place is adjacent

I stayed there one night, before catching the Empire Builder the next morning. The room was a corner suite, but what was most impressive about the room size were the high ceilings and large windows. The building was originally customs offices. It was well below zero outside when I was there, and I was pleased that the room was comfortably warm.

IMG_6615.jpeg

IMG_6618.jpeg

Thanks to everyone who gave me tips about Los Angeles hotels near L.A. Union Station.

In Chicago I have stayed twice at the Club Quarters Hotel at 111 West Adams at Clark Street, about one block farther from Union Station than the JW Marriott; very reasonable rates. There's a very good breakfast-lunch-dinner restaurant attached. (I stayed at the W Hotel several years ago but it was a bit too trendy and modern for my tastes, That location at 172 W. Adams used to be the Midland Hotel which was more traditional.)

If there was ever a train station where an attached hotel would be nice it would be Chicago. The others, including the downtown Holiday Inn about three blocks south are just a bit too far to walk, at least for me. (And I don't know Chicago well enough to comment area safety if one would want to walk to these various hotels.)

Actually, whenever I can find them I like the older and unique, one-of-a-kind hotels with warm old-world charm. And a great attached restaurant doesn't hurt either. I'm sure there would more than one in Chicago that might fit that description but I don't know which ones they are.

If there was ever a train station where an attached hotel would be nice it would be Chicago. The others, including the downtown Holiday Inn about three blocks south are just a bit too far to walk, at least for me. (And I don't know Chicago well enough to comment area safety if one would want to walk to these various hotels.)

I agree. I have walked to/from my Chicago hotel when it was nice weather but most of the time it's either too cold or I'm too tired to want to deal with rolling my suitcase through the city and just grab a cab. Most hotels are just a little too far.

In Glenwood Springs, Colorado, the Hotel Denver is across the street from the station.
In Worcester, Mass, Homewood Suites is across a traffic circle from the station.

Not Amtrak but in Atlantic City, N.J., Sheraton is across the street from the station. Amtrak still sells tickets to Atlantic City with guaranteed connections to/from the Atlantic City Line at Amtrak 30th Street Station in Philadelphia.

One of the two closest hotels to Portland's Union Station is the Canopy by Hilton, a walk of only a little over 600 yards. They'll store your luggage after checkout so you can wander around before catching the train. Nice place, reasonably priced with a great breakfast selection.

The Residence Inn by Marriott is about 30 yards closer but never stayed there.

Question: Is there a relatively simple way to get from this Hyatt to downtown San Francisco?
This may have already been answered, but: Explore all the possibilities using Google Maps. Click on the directions arrow, enter the two locations and select any of the travel mode icons at the top. The transit icon will give you routes, times and fares. You can even drag around the endpoint of your trip to various places.

One of the two closest hotels to Portland's Union Station is the Canopy by Hilton, a walk of only a little over 600 yards. They'll store your luggage after checkout so you can wander around before catching the train. Nice place, reasonably priced with a great breakfast selection.

The Residence Inn by Marriott is about 30 yards closer but never stayed there.
If one goes out the back door nearest the station from the Residence Inn, it is even a shorter walk. That's what we did.

In Pittsburgh, the Westin is a block away, the Drury two blocks. The Westin has an Airport shuttle stop out front regularly which gives more rental car flexibility.

Boston South Station, I didn’t find the few convenient and walkable late at night, so I grabbed a cab if late, usually arrived LSL which could be after 10P, to get a car at the airport. I was in town several days for MA, NH, ME.

BWI - I took the free airport shuttle to the airport to catch a free hotel shuttle,or get a rental.

Newark - the Hilton is now the Doubletree, great place to stay to avoid the high rates in the city.

Portland ME - there is a clarion close, but I found many of the hotels around the nearby Maine mall will pick you up and drop off. Also the airport is very close for rental cars.

Syracuse, NY - though an Embassy Suites is several blocks away, it is pricy, so I would catch a ride to one of the hotels around the airport about 10 min away.

Harrisburg is a 5 block walk to either the Hilton or Crown Plaza. Since I usually needed a car, I got a taxi to the airport then to a less expensive place.

Little Rock is a challenge because of the arrival and departure times. No hotels are close so I always pre arrange for a taxi pick up just in case there are not enough or no cabs waiting.

Richmond Staples - nothing close, but the Hampton Inn is a very short cab ride away.

Birmingham - I used a Hampton Inn about 8 blocks from the station.

The airports have hoards of hotels around most of their perimeter - even that Mall of America in Minnesota has two - but have hotels
conveniently located next to a train depot - when was the last time you took a steam locomotive - something in bygone years !
Granted you don't want your hotel in the depot right adjacent to freight tracks and a hotel has to generate a degree of business to stay
in financial operation. Then again not much sense to have a hotel for a 6 hour or less connection layover and taking an hour to go each
way to that hotel location - but it does beat a ugly horizontal position about park board bench seating. New comers probably have not
experienced this - but those that have been around a few loops in the tracks know what I am referring to perhaps have suffered the
ignominy of a misconnected train late snafu - even applies to airline connections missed. Depending on the class of service the hotel
accommodations are on your own dime or the protection offered by the transportation.

One thing to note where there are a lot of hotels the rack rates are less expensive (competition) - airports a plus - train depots not at all.
Suburban urban hotels free shuttles - downtown hotels - a cab ride fare (not many if any reimburse for this).

Planning on any form of travel consider the options alternatives the drothers of that seemingly unlikely event to occur on your watch !
Know before you go - to seize the moment and rescue from a bad situation. Probably not so much of a big deal traveling the NEC but
with the western trains scheduled for 3 out of 7 days now - this makes a B-I-G difference !

My nicest stay was in the Crawford Hotel *inside* Denver Union Station. Now that's convenient.

The redevelopment of Chicago Union Station, finally approved and ongoing, will add two in-station hotels. I don't actually know when those are supposed to be done, though.

My nicest stay was in the Crawford Hotel *inside* Denver Union Station. Now that's convenient.
Brings to mind when I used to work there, in the '80's...
When working a very late No. 6, It would not be worth the long drive home and back for me, especially in a raging blizzard, so I just stayed at "the baggage room Hilton", and slept on a pile of bike boxes placed on a baggage truck...I was a lot younger then....:)

That's one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at, period. Though, unfortunately, the night I stayed there before embarking on the CZ, I came down with food poisoning from an unwise dining choice the night before, so I sipped water only and watched my husband eat what looked like a great meal there. Making matters worse, I slept through the first couple hours of the CZ after that. I'm a lot more careful about eating raw oysters these day. (Love them, but will only indulge when I know I don't have anything critical to do the next day or so...)

The airports have hoards of hotels around most of their perimeter - even that Mall of America in Minnesota has two - but have hotels
conveniently located next to a train depot - when was the last time you took a steam locomotive - something in bygone years !
Granted you don't want your hotel in the depot right adjacent to freight tracks and a hotel has to generate a degree of business to stay
in financial operation. Then again not much sense to have a hotel for a 6 hour or less connection layover and taking an hour to go each
way to that hotel location - but it does beat a ugly horizontal position about park board bench seating. New comers probably have not
experienced this - but those that have been around a few loops in the tracks know what I am referring to perhaps have suffered the
ignominy of a misconnected train late snafu - even applies to airline connections missed. Depending on the class of service the hotel
accommodations are on your own dime or the protection offered by the transportation.

One thing to note where there are a lot of hotels the rack rates are less expensive (competition) - airports a plus - train depots not at all.
Suburban urban hotels free shuttles - downtown hotels - a cab ride fare (not many if any reimburse for this).

Planning on any form of travel consider the options alternatives the drothers of that seemingly unlikely event to occur on your watch !
Know before you go - to seize the moment and rescue from a bad situation. Probably not so much of a big deal traveling the NEC but
with the western trains scheduled for 3 out of 7 days now - this makes a B-I-G difference !

I agree that there are more choices for airport hotels, and they are cheaper. But as one who travels on business all the time – at the end of the day, are you staying where you want to stay? I can spend $100 and stay at an airport hotel and be stuck inside my room. At the very least, I am totally dependent on taxi cabs and Uber. If all I’m doing is getting to the hotel late, sleeping for eight hours, and taking off the next day - fine. But if I’m going to have a chance to explore a little bit, the last place I want to be is an airport hotel.

If I stay downtown, heck I might even have to pay double. But if the schedule allows, I’ll have an opportunity to see something worthwhile and create a lasting memory. I’m not gonna make that choice every time. But I can’t think of a single trip I’ve ever had where a big part of my positive travel experience was staying at an airport hotel. I can list countless great travel memories staying at a downtown hotel.

Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) recently opened a hotel within the airport.
Great when there is availability - weather may throw this out of kilter
with the airlines (Delta mostly) using it for a cancellation reroute alternative.
Light Rail available for downtown (both cities) transportation - rail & bus
service to the Mall of America and other points and of course taxis.
Light Rail & Bus to St. Paul Union station (rail) connection via Mpls.

I was a 42-45 weeks per year road warrior. I located what worked best for my appointments. Usually not downtown or at the airport. Also, my company focused on the Hilton chain of hotels, like the Hampton brand. Sometimes I used hotels near the train station or airport if I had an early departure in the morning. Most of my travel nights were 5 or 6 different hotels in a week. Opportunity for free time was many times none existent.

Back