Hotels convenient to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suffice to say that this thread should be divided into three
Hotels convenient to Amtrak.
Affordable Hotels convenient to Amtrak.
Luxury Hotels convenient to Amtrak.
Although the Hyatt in general might be considered to be more at the luxury end of things, the rates we got at the TF Green hotel were in line with other affordable hotels.

Some other notes about this hotel. It has a walkway that connects it directly to the station and parking garage. Get a room on the south side for a great view of the NEC tracks.

There have been a few trip reports about the San Juan Islands and Mount Vernon area lately, and I would like to recommend a hotel in that area. While there a several chain and independent motels close to the station, we like to stay at the Channel Lodge in La Conner, about twenty minutes from Mount Vernon.

La Conner is a charming, historic town on the Swinomish Channel. There are several restaurants and bars, and an antique store that actually has good deals.

The Channel Lodge features many rooms with fireplaces and balconies overlooking the channel. We like to stay in the king-bed rooms on the top floor, as they are very spacious, have great views, and offer better sound-proofing (the building is wooden construction, so there are footsteps from upstairs rooms).

Here's a view from our room:IMG_5260.jpeg

There have been a few trip reports about the San Juan Islands and Mount Vernon area lately, and I would like to recommend a hotel in that area. While there a several chain and independent motels close to the station, we like to stay at the Channel Lodge in La Conner, about twenty minutes from Mount Vernon.

La Conner is a charming, historic town on the Swinomish Channel. There are several restaurants and bars, and an antique store that actually has good deals.

The Channel Lodge features many rooms with fireplaces and balconies overlooking the channel. We like to stay in the king-bed rooms on the top floor, as they are very spacious, have great views, and offer better sound-proofing (the building is wooden construction, so there are footsteps from upstairs rooms).

Here's a view from our room:View attachment 34955
Thanks for the information, Maglev.

A number of years ago I took a Cascade train to Mount Vernon and rented a car, for sightseeing trips as well as a to visit a friend in BC. I can remember a very good meal at the Farmhouse Restaurant in Mount Vernon. Afterward, a drive over to Anacortes and my next stop was La Conner. I really enjoyed La Conner with all the various arts and crafts shops. I hope that La Conner doesn't become too touristy, as it would spoil the entire ambience.

The Channel Lodge does sound like a great place to stay. It has received high ratings from Trip Advisor.

https://is.gd/oefMl1
Richard

Suffice to say that this thread should be divided into three
Hotels convenient to Amtrak.
Affordable Hotels convenient to Amtrak.
Luxury Hotels convenient to Amtrak.
I think that would just make things confusing. And the line between luxury and affordable is highly subjective.

I think that would just make things confusing. And the line between luxury and affordable is highly subjective.
It's done already. I think it's called luxury, business, budget. Each big chain has about ten brands. Choice Hotels range from budget to business. Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt range from business to luxury. If there's a bathtub it's either luxury or randomly super budget?? I still go by the one-to-five star system, but some sites don't use that correctly. I think it means amenities, not quality of execution or location.

My recommended hotel close to Amtrak is the French Quarter Inn, right on the tracks along the Ohio River in Maysville, KY, with its Amtrak station. You'll have to stay a few nights if traveling by train though, since it's on the Cardinal. It was business, not luxury. My boss back then was good at finding places like that when I occasionally went to industrial plants in rural areas. Probably three stars, done well, great location. The town had a decent newspaper, and much evidence of investment (Mitch McConnell's work?), unlike the Ohio side. An hour upriver and up a hill the gov't, or its contractors, had placed one of its uranium facilities in Appalachian Ohio, with a red and white checkerboard sign, like Purina, I guess because it was "feed." That was not my plant, and by then it had become public news, for health and safety issues.

With roadside budget chain motels sometimes commanding $300 a night
A different thread attempted to make comparisons between the cost of booking a bedroom on a long-distance train and the cost of making that same trip in a private auto. What with the current cost of gas, lodging, and meals, the auto trip, IMHO, could end up costing about the same as the bedroom or maybe even more.

Back