Hotels convenient to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is Pricey! There must be some Big Event going on in the Bay Area that week( possibly Fleet Week?) for Prices on the East Side of the Bay to be so High???!!!
That seems pretty normal to me when I have priced hotels in Emeryville in the past. That is why, after arriving in Emeryville on the Zephyr a few years ago, I took a California corridor train to Oakland and stayed at the Inn at Jack London Square (now the Z Hotel) within walking distance of the Oakland station (and the ferry to San Francisco). Prices at that hotel were far more reasonable. Now that I understand the Z Hotel has been sold and will no longer be available to the public, I am not sure what I will do on my next trip. Maybe I am getting priced out of visiting the San Francisco area and will have to visit Colfax instead.

There's also a Hyatt right next to the station in St. Paul. I checked for rates on a random date, and a standard high-floor room was $129. I got a suite, and it was a fantastic room, but I checked several dates and didn't see suites available at all (although they are shown under "room types," up to 1,052 sq. ft.). It's an old customs building, and the ceilings are nine feet high. When I was there, it was well below zero out, and I thought the heating did an admirable job at keeping such a large volume warm.

IMG_6615.jpeg

IMG_6618.jpeg

That seems pretty normal to me when I have priced hotels in Emeryville in the past. That is why, after arriving in Emeryville on the Zephyr a few years ago, I took a California corridor train to Oakland and stayed at the Inn at Jack London Square (now the Z Hotel) within walking distance of the Oakland station (and the ferry to San Francisco). Prices at that hotel were far more reasonable. Now that I understand the Z Hotel has been sold and will no longer be available to the public, I am not sure what I will do on my next trip. Maybe I am getting priced out of visiting the San Francisco area and will have to visit Colfax instead.
You might consider staying in Davis or Sacramento and Commuting, if Prices are too Hight around the Bay Area.

I prefer Davis myself, but have stayed in Sacramento when desirable/ affordable Hotels weren't available closer to the Bay.

And now that the Marin/Sonoma Train is running, with connections to the Larkspur Ferry, you could even stay in Santa Rosa or Petaluma.

St. Louis: do I eat the cost and stay at the (Hilton) St. Louis Union Station Hotel, or are there any other recommendations? The Drury is $200/night not including all of the taxes.

I might have some higher-end recommendations for OKC and (potentially) DAL once I stay at them.

St. Louis: do I eat the cost and stay at the (Hilton) St. Louis Union Station Hotel, or are there any other recommendations? The Drury is $200/night not including all of the taxes.

I might have some higher-end recommendations for OKC and (potentially) DAL once I stay at them.
St. Louis If you have a car you can can stay at the Airport, drive your car to the Amtrak Overnight Lot across the street from the Station. Another Airport option is to catch the Metrolink from the Airport to the Amtrak Station, If you have a car, the Hampton and Peartree Airport Hotels will let park on their lot.

The
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station
is right outside Moynihan Train Hall. I am not sure exactly which door gives access, nor how to cross the street, but it is very close. I glanced at rates, and it was $171 for March 1 but $413 for January 25. I got a standard room, but on an upper floor with a view; there is a building very close on the other side of the hotel, so those rooms have no view at all. The room itself was tiny but functional, and there was a decent breakfast.

Here's the view from my room, over the roof of what was then the Farley Building; and a view from the hotel lobby (the blue and white billboard is on Madison Square Garden):

View attachment 31128

View attachment 31129
For those who are more budget conscious and don’t mind staying outside Manhattan and doing a fairly short commute, the Doubletree by Hilton at Newark Penn can also be a viable option. Generally I’ve seen it significantly cheaper than hotels near NYP, usually around $150 per night, and it’s about a 20 minute ride via NJT or PATH into Manhattan

For those who are more budget conscious and don’t mind staying outside Manhattan and doing a fairly short commute, the Doubletree by Hilton at Newark Penn can also be a viable option. Generally I’ve seen it significantly cheaper than hotels near NYP, usually around $150 per night, and it’s about a 20 minute ride via NJT or PATH into Manhattan
I was thinking of booking here, but when I researched it I found a higher number of negative reviews than I was comfortable with. Concerns included room cleanliness, slow drains, smoking odors, and reservations not being honored. It rated 3 out of 5 on booking sites; I try to stay at places rated at least 4 out of 5. Maybe I'm being picky, but at this stage of my life I'm willing to pay an extra $75 a night to be comfortable.

I'm trying the Element in Harrison, which is a short PATH ride and a 2-block walk from Newark Penn. Just making an overnight connection at NYP, so I'll leave my main bag there and have just a backpack to deal with on NJT & PATH..

Last edited:
I was thinking of booking here, but when I researched it I found a higher number of negative reviews than I was comfortable with. Concerns included room cleanliness, slow drains, smoking odors, and reservations not being honored. It rated 3 out of 5 on booking sites; I try to stay at places rated at least 4 out of 5. Maybe I'm being picky, but at this stage of my life I'm willing to pay an extra $75 a night to be comfortable.
It used to be much better when it was Hilton branded. It went a bit downhill when it became a Doubletree!
I'm trying the Element in Harrison, which is a short PATH ride and a 2-block walk from Newark Penn. Just making an overnight connection at NYP, so I'll leave my main bag there and have just a backpack to deal with on NJT & PATH..
Alternatively you could save money by avoiding the NJT fare altogether and taking PATH from Herald Square to Harrison with a cross platform train change at Journal Square! The PATH Heral Square/33rd St terminal is just one avenu block east of Penn Station

Alternatively you could save money by avoiding the NJT fare altogether and taking PATH from Herald Square to Harrison with a cross platform train change at Journal Square! The PATH Heral Square/33rd St terminal is just one avenu block east of Penn Station
I know, but Google says it's about 15 minutes faster on NJT. And I've got an application for a senior discount card on PATH, and NJT doesn't require one, so it won't be expensive. Maybe I'll do one way going and the other coming back.

Anyway, the more different trains, the better, right? :) That's partly why I'm taking the long way around from Chicago, plus I plan to explore GC-Madison in the morning.

St. Louis: do I eat the cost and stay at the (Hilton) St. Louis Union Station Hotel, or are there any other recommendations?
If you're staying in St. Louis overnight and catching the train the next day, I would definitely recommend the Hilton at Union Station if you can manage it. It's a nice hotel and about a five-minute walk to the Amtrak station.

Union Station has restaurants, bars, the St. Louis Aquarium, the St. Louis Wheel, and other things to do, right at the hotel -- if you're looking for something to do.

If you're just looking for an inexpensive place to sleep and get to Amtrak the next day, anyplace downtown should suffice. You can take the Metro (St. Louis subway) from downtown to Union Station easily.

*St. Louis native, quite familiar with the area

I know, but Google says it's about 15 minutes faster on NJT. And I've got an application for a senior discount card on PATH, and NJT doesn't require one, so it won't be expensive. Maybe I'll do one way going and the other coming back.

Anyway, the more different trains, the better, right? :) That's partly why I'm taking the long way around from Chicago, plus I plan to explore GC-Madison in the morning.
Speaking of PATH's senior card, they made me get my application notarized before accepting it. The Port Authority makes it unbelievably difficult and cumbersome for what should be a simple transaction. Utterly ridiculous. I'm reminded that not too long ago when one bought a round trip pass from the machine it timed out after 2 hours. And the pass itself wasn't even discounted so it was the same price as 2 single untimed tickets. This was true for over 20 years and caught many by surprise when their return trip ticket timed out and was rejected at the turnstile.

Last edited:
How about a hotel near the Flagstaff Station. We are catching the Southwest Chief out of Flagstaff at 4:20 am this summer and need a hotel close by. Any suggestions?

How about a hotel near the Flagstaff Station. We are catching the Southwest Chief out of Flagstaff at 4:20 am this summer and need a hotel close by. Any suggestions?
I would suggest that you consider the Highland Country Inn at 223 S. Milton Road (not to be confused with the High Country Motor Lodge at 1000 West Route 66). We have stayed at the Highland Country Inn several times and have been very pleased with this small family-run motel which is clean and reasonably priced. I think the Highland Country Inn and the Weatherford Hotel are the closest hotels to the station and I would say they are within easy walking distance to the station. There are more upscale chain hotels a bit further away.

Unless things have changed, the desk at the Highland Country Inn is not staffed all night but the family lives on the premises so you ring the bell and someone comes out and checks you in. If you are catching #4 in the morning, there is a slot at the office where you leave your key.

The only caveat is that there is one room directly above the office which does not have normal windows but instead has small windows high up on the wall. I didn't particularly care for that room although it was spacious and clean. Maybe at one time it was a large storage room.

We were there last September and stayed at the Hotel Monte Vista. It was 160.10 for the night, The rooms were a bit dated but there is quite a bit of history with who has stayed there. They had a decent lounge and a very nice restaurant. As I remember it was maybe 3 blocks to the station. The streets were very well lit and we felt totally safe during the walk.

If you want a chain hotel, the Residence Inn by Marriott is nearby and used to offer a shuttle to the station in inclement weather. Of course that was in the "before times" when hotels still cared. It's about a 3-block walk.

If you want a chain hotel, the Residence Inn by Marriott is nearby and used to offer a shuttle to the station in inclement weather. Of course that was in the "before times" when hotels still cared. It's about a 3-block walk.
We stayed at the Residence Inn in September 2021 and found it very nice and quite close to the station. They had a good breakfast also.

This summer my wife and I are traveling on the Empire Builder to St. Cloud, Minnesota. The eastbound train is due there about 6:30 in the morning. We plan to stay in a motel overnight before meeting our friends the next day, who many miles outside town. Can anyone suggest a motel near the St. Cloud Amtrak station? Also, since the train arrives so early in the day, will it even be possible to check-in that early? We will not be renting a car, as our friends plan to pick us up. Any help will be appreciated.

Can anyone suggest a motel near the St. Cloud Amtrak station? Also, since the train arrives so early in the day, will it even be possible to check-in that early? We will not be renting a car, as our friends plan to pick us up. Any help will be appreciated.
There are a couple of chain hotels - a Wyndham and a Marriott - within walking distance. If you have status with either company you should be able to exploit that for early check-in or negotiate a small supplement for the privilege. It's a common practice at airports when on a red-eye or other early-arriving flights. There certainly won't be the same demand in St. Cloud but you will not likely be the first to ask either. Contact the hotels directly (not their 800 number) and explain your situation. Give it a shot; you have nothing to lose.

Update on hotels near Los Angeles Union Station. Checked in this evening to the Metro Plaza Hotel which is about a block and a half from Union Station.
I walked to the hotel during the daylight hours, but I would not do it at night.
The hotel is currently under renovation. One of the windows in the front entrance is boarded up. The old terra-cotta tile on the steps is falling off so use caution.
Check him was efficient and across from the desk is a large bank of security camera monitors which and there was a man sitting there actually watching them. Not sure if he's there all the time, but they are right across from the desk which is manned 24 hours a day.
In the hallways the carpets are stained and there are water marks on the ceiling tiles.
The room is basic. It does have a small round table and two chairs, a large screen TV, and a mini fridge that is actually cold. The bathroom is clean and there is a hairdryer. The king size bed is medium firm and very comfortable.
The neighborhood is quiet and the windows actually open which was comfortable on a 51° night.
I agree with the Philippe a half block away as a decent place to eat or have a beer.
I'd stay here again for the convenience to the station, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who can't tolerate it looking rundown.

In Seattle I stayed at the Best Western Pioneer Square. It's housed in an historic brick building right across from the ferry terminal.
It's decorated and rather smells like your grandmother's living room which is not entirely unpleasant; not musty, just not clinically modern.
Bedroom had original woodwork and was decorated with chintz but the bathroom was thoroughly updated.
I walked from the station to the hotel during the daylight hours but I would only suggest it if you're in pretty good shape. There are a couple of shelters and missions in the neighborhood and I wouldn't suggest walking there after dark.
I would stay Again and I would recommend it as an affordable alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
This summer my wife and I are traveling on the Empire Builder to St. Cloud, Minnesota. The eastbound train is due there about 6:30 in the morning. We plan to stay in a motel overnight before meeting our friends the next day, who many miles outside town. Can anyone suggest a motel near the St. Cloud Amtrak station? Also, since the train arrives so early in the day, will it even be possible to check-in that early? We will not be renting a car, as our friends plan to pick us up. Any help will be appreciated.

That area is not necessarily the best part of town, though at 6:30 AM or later in the morning you should be fine. The Country Inn and Suites is closest, though I've never stayed and it is not the most walkable. The Kelly Inn is quite nice (I stayed there a few years ago for a conference) but is about a mile walk. I don't know if nay of them will have availability that early in the morning, but the Kelly Inn is in a much more walkable area of St. Cloud, including being near the local bus station if you want to take the bus to other parts of the city.

Update on hotels near Los Angeles Union Station. Checked in this evening to the Metro Plaza Hotel which is about a block and a half from Union Station.
I walked to the hotel during the daylight hours, but I would not do it at night.
The hotel is currently under renovation. One of the windows in the front entrance is boarded up. The old terra-cotta tile on the steps is falling off so use caution.
Check him was efficient and across from the desk is a large bank of security camera monitors which and there was a man sitting there actually watching them. Not sure if he's there all the time, but they are right across from the desk which is manned 24 hours a day.
In the hallways the carpets are stained and there are water marks on the ceiling tiles.
The room is basic. It does have a small round table and two chairs, a large screen TV, and a mini fridge that is actually cold. The bathroom is clean and there is a hairdryer. The king size bed is medium firm and very comfortable.
The neighborhood is quiet and the windows actually open which was comfortable on a 51° night.
I agree with the Philippe a half block away as a decent place to eat or have a beer.
I'd stay here again for the convenience to the station, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who can't tolerate it looking rundown.
I agree. I stayed there for a night last September. I arrived by taxi from the Catalina Express in Long Beach the evening before my northbound Coast Starlight. The hotel is a little dated, but I wasn't expecting the Ritz; I just needed a convenient place to crash.

The room was not fancy, but it was clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly. There's a Subway, taqueria, and convenience store on the block.

I'd stay here again for the convenience to Union Station. It's just a minute's walk down the street, so no stress in the morning.

Last edited:
That area is not necessarily the best part of town, though at 6:30 AM or later in the morning you should be fine. The Country Inn and Suites is closest, though I've never stayed and it is not the most walkable. The Kelly Inn is quite nice (I stayed there a few years ago for a conference) but is about a mile walk. I don't know if nay of them will have availability that early in the morning, but the Kelly Inn is in a much more walkable area of St. Cloud, including being near the local bus station if you want to take the bus to other parts of the city.
I would suggest that @Yumacool ask if he and his wife can store their luggage behind the front desk when they make their hotel reservations. Check-in during the early morning hours will probably be impossible, as Housekeeping will need to clean the rooms from the previous guests. It might be possible to request an early check-in time, but I wouldn't count on being able to do more than store luggage behind the front desk until at least noon, as the check-out deadline at many hotels isn't until 11AM.

You might consider staying in Davis or Sacramento and Commuting, if Prices are too Hight around the Bay Area.

I prefer Davis myself, but have stayed in Sacramento when desirable/ affordable Hotels weren't available closer to the Bay.

And now that the Marin/Sonoma Train is running, with connections to the Larkspur Ferry, you could even stay in Santa Rosa or Petaluma.
I always stay at the University Inn in Davis. Short walk to the station. Decent rates and a very nice hotel

If you're headed to New York, there's a Marriott Fairfield Inn and Suites on 33rd St. around the corner form the Moynihan Train Hall, and another one 3 blocks away on 36th St. off 8th Ave. There's also the New Yorker in between on 8th Ave, at 34th St. There's also a slew of other chain hotels in the immediate area. Prices seems to be $250 -$350 a night. I picked the Fairfield on 36th for my trip in a couple of weeks because they quoted a price about $100 cheaper than for the Fairfield on 33rd. St. It was about $300 with a Senior discount and a Bonvoy discount. I need to stay at some more Bonvoy properties if I expect to get enough points to get any free hotel stays. If you can find a nice hotel in Manhattan (or New York City, for that matter) in a convenient and safe location for under $200 a night (after taxes), please let us know.

Last edited:
Stayed at The New Yorker on the night of April 17th (Monday Night) for $149 and its a nice hotel that’s literally one short block away from the station. I was on the 30th floor and the room was well appointed, clean and most importantly for me COLD! If I go to NYC for a proper vacation again I will most likely get a room there again.

"Queen With a View" room

Attachments

• 20230417_195459.jpg
    20230417_195459.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230417_194140.jpg
    20230417_194140.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Back