Hotels convenient to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gulped hard and booked our train trip for this summer for us and our 10 year old granddaughter--Keystone to NYC, Lake Shore Limited to Chicago, Southwest Chief to LA, and Surfliner to San Diego. (With a flight back to Seattle in time for the All Star Game--though she is more excited about the Home Run Derby than the actual All Star Game.) LD legs in a bedroom and a roomette....

My second observation: Holy, moly, have hotels gotten expensive! The same hotels that we had booked pre-pandemic for 100-150 dollars were all over 300 dollars a night! I booked anyway because the layovers are part of the overall 'special adventure,' and I wanted to be sure we got convenient rooms in acceptable places, leading me to book places we'd stayed in before. But, given the increase in hotel prices, I might think twice about our common practice of booking a night in Chicago or LA just to be sure we wouldn't miss the ongoing leg of a trip.

Sounds wonderful! Glad you have it all arranged!

The nice thing about hotels (unless you book the prepay option and can’t change it) is that you can regularly check the rates and cancel and rebook at a lower price almost to the time of the trip. I often do that, and it’s interesting to see how the rate varies.

Sounds wonderful! Glad you have it all arranged!

The nice thing about hotels (unless you book the prepay option and can’t change it) is that you can regularly check the rates and cancel and rebook at a lower price almost to the time of the trip. I often do that, and it’s interesting to see how the rate varies.
I usually book at Wyndham’s La Quinta. Always reliable and the price range is from $75 to $125. When I did the USA Rail Pass last year I always booked hotels within a mile of the station and never payed more than $100. Of course the high end hotels will always be pricey but I use a hotel to sleep. I always check reviews to make sure I am not getting a dump.

I usually book at Wyndham’s La Quinta. Always reliable and the price range is from $75 to $125. When I did the USA Rail Pass last year I always booked hotels within a mile of the station and never payed more than $100. Of course the high end hotels will always be pricey but I use a hotel to sleep. I always check reviews to make sure I am not getting a dump.
Be grateful that you traveled last year! That La Quinta is currently booking at $290 a night for the late June nights we needed--over $300 with taxes. Seems like $300 is the new $100, at least for summer-rates at hotels...:confused:

My guess is that the hotel chains are banking on a big summer travel season to make up for the ones that they lost to COVID, so they've jacked up prices particularly at the low end of their chains. I also noticed that most of the low end chain hotels have discontinued daily housekeeping to fatten their bottom line as well. Me, I don't care that much, since I can make my own bed and hang my towels to dry...I do it everyday at home!

And to be better on-topic, I think Amtrak's raised rates for sleeping car tickets is an example of the same phenomenon. Frankly, I would not have spent the money on a LD train trip this year except that the window of opportunity to travel with our granddaughter before the 'sullen teen years' set in is rapidly closing. ;)

Last edited:
Be grateful that you traveled last year! That La Quinta is currently booking at $290 a night for the late June nights we needed--over $300 with taxes. Seems like $300 is the new $100, at least for summer-rates at hotels...:confused:
Are you guys talking about the La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Chicago Downtown?

I'm paying $229 weekend, $249 weekdays + "taxes & fees" in May. It was the cheapest hotel I found (not hostel or B&B) within walking distance of Union Station. Even Club Quarters was higher for a standard room.

Are you guys talking about the La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Chicago Downtown?

I'm paying $229 weekend, $249 weekdays + "taxes & fees" in May. It was the cheapest hotel I found (not hostel or B&B) within walking distance of Union Station. Even Club Quarters was higher for a standard room.
Yup, the same one. Probably once school gets out, the real summer travel season of very high rates begins!

Yup, the same one. Probably once school gets out, the real summer travel season of very high rates begins!
I was just generally talking about LaQuintas,not specific to Chicago which is closer to $200.Did get a free night at 15 000 points a year ago

🤯WOW, looks like I may have to cross Chicago off my List of "Go To" Cities!🤑🤑🤑

The hubby and I were pleasantly surprised to get a very inexpensive room (approx. $70 for 1 night) at the La Quinta in Pleasant Prairies/Kenosha, WI the night before Thanksgiving. (And I've been a Wyndham Rewards member for several years, so we earned those points for our stay, plus some AGR points for using our new FNBO credit card to pay for it.) I don't anticipate finding hotel rooms at anywhere near those prices at either the Emeryville or Chicago endpoints of our planned California Zephyr roundtrip next year. (Speaking of which, I want to book that trip next week, so the cost of our fares will bump our spending on the FNBO credit card up enough to earn the 12K bonus AGR points (on the no-annual-fee version of that credit card).) We're thinking October would be a good time to travel, and far enough out so we can be flexible on dates (to get the best deal on the fares) without running into work conflicts.

🤯WOW, looks like I may have to cross Chicago off my List of "Go To" Cities!🤑🤑🤑
Though I have not been there in several years, my favorite hotel not only in Chicago but in the entire free world has always been The Palmer House Hilton. I shudder to think what the price range for rooms may be these days. Started staying there in the early 1990's on a recommendation from a Florida supervisor who was originally from Chicago; also the relative proximity to Chicago Union Station. Amtrak sleeper Bedroom fares + the price of a room at the Palmer House should combine to make a real shocker!

Chicago hotel prices still have a lot of variation but there are decent rates to be had, depending on holidays, events, etc. The week between Christmas and NY was particularly affordable this year, compared to the last couple of years. The best deals seem to be the king bed rooms at various chains - doubles and upgraded rooms with view etc. start to go up considerably. A single person just looking for a room for the night will find the best deals on certain times/days. And this might be true in other cities, I have not researched.
EDIT: in regards to thread title, Chicago has many hotels that are convenient to get to from Union station, especially if you include CTA as an option to reach them as opposed to walking.

My guess is that the hotel chains are banking on a big summer travel season to make up for the ones that they lost to COVID, so they've jacked up prices particularly at the low end of their chains. I also noticed that most of the low end chain hotels have discontinued daily housekeeping to fatten their bottom line as well. Me, I don't care that much, since I can make my own bed and hang my towels to dry...I do it everyday at home!

And to be better on-topic, I think Amtrak's raised rates for sleeping car tickets is an example of the same phenomenon. Frankly, I would not have spent the money on a LD train trip this year except that the window of opportunity to travel with our granddaughter before the 'sullen teen years' set in is rapidly closing. ;)
You should be thankful you don’t need a hotel in Seattle.

Though I have not been there in several years, my favorite hotel not only in Chicago but in the entire free world has always been The Palmer House Hilton. I shudder to think what the price range for rooms may be these days. Started staying there in the early 1990's on a recommendation from a Florida supervisor who was originally from Chicago; also the relative proximity to Chicago Union Station. Amtrak sleeper Bedroom fares + the price of a room at the Palmer House should combine to make a real shocker!
Well, I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is that the rate for our June dates is only about sixty dollars a night more than the much lower end La Quinta. The bad news is that this still puts the rate at $360!

Seems that my guess, that it is rates at the bottom of the range chain hotels that are most inflated, might be right. Frankly, staying at the Palmer House for the extra cost of $60 bucks a night might well be worth it!

Last edited:
Consumer hotel rates are reaching absurd levels these days, especially as the service we enjoyed in the past is basically nonexistent at this point. Unless you stay a week or more they're probably not changing the sheets or replacing the soap or bringing new towels anymore. In theory you can still ask for these things but good luck getting through on the phone or waiting for someone at front desk. Half the time they just tell you to use some half-baked mobile app anyway. None of this is the end of the world but if hotels are becoming a passive do-it-yourself experience why are we still being charged full service luxury hotel prices? Low tier brands have started charging high tier rates and high tier brands are busy abandoning benefits and introducing new fees for every minor kindness and convenience.

Last edited:
These hotel rates remind me of the late 1960s - early 1970s during the height of the Vietnam war. Relative to a persons gross income very similar. Got so bad for airline crews that might not layover at a certain airport less than once a month that many airlines had bunk rooms at major airports to alllow overnights. Would not be surprized same for RR T & E crews that were much larger than now.

I did much better than those rates in Chicago, NYC & DC last spring and Google maps is still showing me < $200 with taxes in all three walking distance to the train. But It takes some juggling and a willingness to book and rebook, multiple times if necessary. Walk in off the street rack rates are out of control.

Railroads used to have RR YMCA’s located at major division points and an easy walk from the station or on duty point. There was a large one in Brunswick, MD that made headlines when it burned in the 80’s. The railroad had to hustle to find alternate lodging.

There is one still in business as the Drury Inn adjacent to the St. Louis union station that is a nice alternative to Hilton’s Union Station hotel.

Why?? I need one in late March for 5 nights.
Hotels in Seattle tend to be quite expensive. The last time I was there, I stayed at the Embassy Suites next to King Street Station. I used Hilton points, enjoyed my stay and was extremely happy that my hotel was so close to the station.

Back