Hotels convenient to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station
is right outside Moynihan Train Hall. I am not sure exactly which door gives access, nor how to cross the street, but it is very close. I glanced at rates, and it was $171 for March 1 but $413 for January 25. I got a standard room, but on an upper floor with a view; there is a building very close on the other side of the hotel, so those rooms have no view at all. The room itself was tiny but functional, and there was a decent breakfast.

Here's the view from my room, over the roof of what was then the Farley Building; and a view from the hotel lobby (the blue and white billboard is on Madison Square Garden):

View attachment 31128

View attachment 31129
Reading that was a shock to my system. Fairfield Inn out here in Ohio was the lowest price Marriot offering, and I remember paying around $60 a night!

I just thought I'd break in and mention our two hotel highlights from our 2016 circle trip...both in Canada:

For Vancouver, BC, we stayed at the Rosedale on Robson Suite Hotel downtown. It was a short cab ride from Pacific Central station, and it was wonderful. Every 'room' is a suite with a fully equipped (plates, pots) kitchenette. We slept in a suite with two bedrooms, each with a queen bed, so that I and my parents could have some privacy (important on the 7th night of a two-week trip!). I advise you to book directly with the hotel, not through one of the booking sites; since we did book direct a very good continental breakfast was provided free (if you go through a 3rd party, they charge). I'd definitely stay here again.

https://www.rosedaleonrobson.com/
At the far end of our trip we took the bus & ferry over to Victoria, BC on Vancouver Island and stayed three wonderful nights at the Fairholme Manor in Victoria. This is a family-run bed & breakfast in an old manor house near by (walking distance) Government House. We stayed in the Rose Garden suite, with two bedrooms, a full kitchen, and a gourmet hot breakfast available downstairs every morning. The service was fantastic.

https://fairholmemanor.com/
Neither of these places was cheap (In My Experience, little in Canada is!), but both were wonderful home away from homes.

I just thought I'd break in and mention our two hotel highlights from our 2016 circle trip...both in Canada:

For Vancouver, BC, we stayed at the Rosedale on Robson Suite Hotel downtown. It was a short cab ride from Pacific Central station, and it was wonderful. Every 'room' is a suite with a fully equipped (plates, pots) kitchenette. We slept in a suite with two bedrooms, each with a queen bed, so that I and my parents could have some privacy (important on the 7th night of a two-week trip!). I advise you to book directly with the hotel, not through one of the booking sites; since we did book direct a very good continental breakfast was provided free (if you go through a 3rd party, they charge). I'd definitely stay here again.

At the far end of our trip we took the bus & ferry over to Victoria, BC on Vancouver Island and stayed three wonderful nights at the Fairholme Manor in Victoria. This is a family-run bed & breakfast in an old manor house near by (walking distance) Government House. We stayed in the Rose Garden suite, with two bedrooms, a full kitchen, and a gourmet hot breakfast available downstairs every morning. The service was fantastic.

Neither of these places was cheap (In My Experience, little in Canada is!), but both were wonderful home away from homes.
Both places are Excellent, but as you say not Cheap, but worth the Price, since not much in Canada is Inexpensive ( except Health Care !), but with the 25% difference between the Loonie and the US Dollar, a Bargain!

When in Vancouver in 2016, before and after Alaska cruises, I stayed at the Hampton Inn on Robson. It was not too far from the train station (I walked to the hotel but cabbed back because it was before sunrise) and it was walking distance to the cruise port and many restaurants. I do not recall the rate, but I may have used points. I am not a big fan of Hampton Inns, but I was satisfied with that one. Quite a few cruise passengers were at the hotel (however, very few, if any, walked from the train station and to the cruise port)

I was thinking of staying there over the years, but in the end I chose different accommodations during several trips in the last 6 months. The reviews aren't great, and when I actually saw it from the outside it just seemed like an odd looking place. And it feels kind of odd dealing with a hotel that doesn't do direct bookings - only through third party. But the location near Union Station is probably most important to many who stay there.

4199588.jpg

I'm not sure if Anaheim fits into this discussion since there's no long distance service there. But the Ayres Hotel is pretty much next to the station.

There's also a waterfront hotel within walking distance of the Oakland-Jack London Square station. Actually called the Waterfront Hotel.

https://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/california/oakland/waterfront-hotel
Also, the Jack London Inn, right on the Embarcadero, cheaper than Hyatt, two blocks to the Oakland Station.

Also, the Jack London Inn, right on the Embarcadero, cheaper than Hyatt, two blocks to the Oakland Station.
There used to be two 'Jack London" hotels in Oakland but try not to get confused.

One was the Jack London Inn at 444 Embarcadero W and I believe it still operates under that name. Check out the reviews. It has an awful reputation.

The other was the "Inn at Jack London Square" which confused many people because it sounded like the Jack London Inn. It is around the corner at 233 Broadway. From my experience, it is a fine place. Fortunately, they have changed their name to the "Z Hotel" I have not stayed there under the new name but hopefully someone can tell us if is still good. I believe some Amtrak crews used to stay there. The Buttercup restaurant, also a good place, is located in the front yard.

I made the mistake of almost booking at the Jack London Inn once. Some glad that I didn't especially after I saw the place.

The Buttercup restaurant, also a good place, is located in the front yard.

I know that spot well. In the 70s it was a Sambo's Restaurant. This photo is from the 60s (i.e. before I was born), but it was there that long). I think it became a Denny's before the current occupant.

83008125_10222202185987114_5569505640021229568_n.jpg

If it doesn't need to be within walking distance, the Oakland Marriott is probably the best hotel in the area. There's supposed to be a free bus service along Broadway, but I'm not sure if it's back in service. I have no need to stay there since I'm local, but I've been there a few times, including a comic book convention, since the Oakland Convention Center is attached to it. The old Golden State Warriors practice facility is there too, and they still have it for community use even though they not practice in San Francisco.

There used to be two 'Jack London" hotels in Oakland but try not to get confused.

One was the Jack London Inn at 444 Embarcadero W and I believe it still operates under that name. Check out the reviews. It has an awful reputation.

The other was the "Inn at Jack London Square" which confused many people because it sounded like the Jack London Inn. It is around the corner at 233 Broadway. From my experience, it is a fine place. Fortunately, they have changed their name to the "Z Hotel" I have not stayed there under the new name but hopefully someone can tell us if is still good. I believe some Amtrak crews used to stay there. The Buttercup restaurant, also a good place, is located in the front yard.

I made the mistake of almost booking at the Jack London Inn once. Some glad that I didn't especially after I saw the place.
I've stayed there twice, and was not distressed. I felt that it was acceptable, if not marvelous. But since I no longer wish to stay over in the bay area, and can do my transfers in Sacramento, it is moot. But I do miss ButtercuP.

Really enjoyed the Dubliner, Really good food and prices were fine. Will be seeing them again this September. There is a nice view of the Capitol from right outside their front door.
And if you don't like the Dubliner, there another Irish pub right next door. Amtrak put me up in the Phoenix Park when I missed a connection off the consolidated Silver.

I've stayed there twice, and was not distressed. I felt that it was acceptable, if not marvelous. But since I no longer wish to stay over in the bay area, and can do my transfers in Sacramento, it is moot. But I do miss ButtercuP.

You can definitely see how it changed. They eliminated the zig-zag roof on the restaurant but you can still see where they have remnants of it. And the cladding on the hotel is gone.

1f4b267e_z.jpg

There used to be another ButtercuP location in Oakland that could be seen from I-880. That one just closed last September.

menu-Buttercup-Oakland-3.jpg

BUTTERCUP DINER (COTTON STREET) Diner fans, some sad news — the Cotton Street location of Buttercup Diner has closed after 25 years. A kind letter posted to the location’s many regulars explains that the property owners plan to redevelop, and therefore terminated the lease. The diner’s last day was Sept. 25. Please note that the diner’s other locations remain open and welcoming. This location of the Buttercup Diner was at 1000 Cotton St. in Oakland.​

Z Hotels is a chain that operates in the UK, primarily in London. Interesting that they are now moving to the US.

Not sure when, but the hotel in Oakland has been purchased and is slated to become "affordable" housing for specific income levels that they hope will allow housing for teachers, first responders, and nurses. Not necessarily the poorest, but those who might have problems with $4000/month rent. So that will eventually take this one off the market for travelers. But it's still there and doesn't sound like it's undergone the transformation yet.

Riaz Capital intends to rent the micro studios to workforce professionals who earn between $50,000 and $120,000 a year. The company believes housing for workers with annual wages in this price range is in short supply.​
Teachers, police officers, firefighters, nurses, other first responders and other Bay Area professional workers typically fall into the income range of $50,000 to $120,000.​
At present, Z Hotel has 102 rooms. The hotel will undergo a renovation that’s expected to last about one year.​

If it doesn't need to be within walking distance, the Oakland Marriott is probably the best hotel in the area. There's supposed to be a free bus service along Broadway, but I'm not sure if it's back in service. I have no need to stay there since I'm local, but I've been there a few times, including a comic book convention, since the Oakland Convention Center is attached to it. The old Golden State Warriors practice facility is there too, and they still have it for community use even though they not practice in San Francisco.

No shuttle currently. But here's the map of the route when it did run.

https://www.oaklandca.gov/topics/free-broadway-shuttle
shuttleschematic.jpg.jpg

Not sure when, but the hotel in Oakland has been purchased and is slated to become "affordable" housing for specific income levels that they hope will allow housing for teachers, first responders, and nurses. Not necessarily the poorest, but those who might have problems with $4000/month rent. So that will eventually take this one off the market for travelers. But it's still there and doesn't sound like it's undergone the transformation yet.
Thanks very much for the update. I am sorry to hear that the Z Hotel will be closing but it sounds like it is a good plan for the community. I guess we will have to check out the Oakland Marriott on our next visit there.

Ha anyone stayed at the Club Quarters in Chicago in the past year? If so, how is it? Obviously, the price has gone up, but would appreciate some report on recent experiences. Last time I was there was 3 years ago and I was very satisfied. Looks like I'll be in the Windy City this coming July.

Ha anyone stayed at the Club Quarters in Chicago in the past year? If so, how is it? Obviously, the price has gone up, but would appreciate some report on recent experiences. Last time I was there was 3 years ago and I was very satisfied. Looks like I'll be in the Windy City this coming July.
Since you've been there you know that the Rooms are Small, and as you said, the Price has gone up like everything else!( I've stayed there a couple of times and also ones in other Cities)

But it's good place to stay if you want something in between 4 and 5 Star Places and Motel 6 type Joints, which are not Inexpensive anymore, especially when Large Events are occuring.

Thanks very much for the update. I am sorry to hear that the Z Hotel will be closing but it sounds like it is a good plan for the community. I guess we will have to check out the Oakland Marriott on our next visit there.

I think it's the nicest hotel in Oakland. Some may say it's the Claremont, but that's away from OKJ. Still - I've heard of some hear mentioning that they've booked sketchy motels in East Oakland that required a 5 mile Uber ride from OKJ, so what do I know?

https://www.marriott.com/search/hotelQuickView.mi?propertyId=OAKDT&brandCode=MC&marshaCode=OAKDT
It's a trapezoidal slab on the right, with the former Golden State Warriors practice facility (the one with the round roof) on the left over the parking lot and the Oakland Convention Center. Oakland Chinatown is to the right (south of Broadway).

oakdt-exterior-0085-hor-clsc.jpg

I stayed there last spring and quite liked it, but I am not picky.

Stayed there last fall. Rooms are small (I'm 6' 6") and kinda dated, but clean, and the beds are comfy. Easy walking distance to Onion Station, decent, but pricy restaurants nearby. Drugstore a block away to buy things you've forgotten, like nail clippers. They also sell wine!

Mind that there's a couple of ClubQuarters in Chicago: one on Adams St. a few blocks east of Union Station as described, and another on Wacker Dr. just west of Michigan Ave.

The latter isn't really far from Union Station, a pleasant walk along Wacker Drive -- or part of the way by the Riverwalk if you choose -- in decent weather. Outside of the winter, there's also water taxi service from the foot of the Michigan Ave. bridge to near the foot of the Adams St. bridge if you don't mind the stairs down to & up from the boat landings.

I finally got around to making a hotel reservation for the hubby & me for our overnight in Emeryville between the westbound and eastbound California Zephyr in early October. Went with Hyatt House, which per discussion earlier in this thread is the closest hotel to the Amtrak station there. Did a LOT of comparison shopping between various hotel price comparison sites, and finally booked through one we have access to via our AMAC membership. Still not cheap ($288/night + tax), but a good $25 less expensive than through any other website.

I finally got around to making a hotel reservation for the hubby & me for our overnight in Emeryville between the westbound and eastbound California Zephyr in early October. Went with Hyatt House, which per discussion earlier in this thread is the closest hotel to the Amtrak station there. Did a LOT of comparison shopping between various hotel price comparison sites, and finally booked through one we have access to via our AMAC membership. Still not cheap ($288/night + tax), but a good $25 less expensive than through any other website.
That is Pricey! There must be some Big Event going on in the Bay Area that week( possibly Fleet Week?) for Prices on the East Side of the Bay to be so High???!!!

That is Pricey! There must be some Big Event going on in the Bay Area that week( possibly Fleet Week?) for Prices on the East Side of the Bay to be so High???!!!
You might be right. Before I specified a date, the hotel price search tool was claiming "as low as $249/night" (which would only have been double the price we normally spend in someplace like Indianapolis for a hotel room).

Just got back from a couple of days at the Hilton Garden/Homewood combo south loop Chicago. While not closest to Union Station, it’s worth considering. Modern glass building with floor to ceiling windows, a block from Roosevelt El/subway as well as Mich Ave, close-by restaurants and a Trader Joe’s, and one of the best low season Hilton rates I could find - $86/nite last Sun/Mon nights.

The kicker is the view - from my corner room (2901, Garden Inn) I had a clear view to the Amtrak yards all the way down to the St. Charles Air Line lift bridge, as well as the Metra Rock Island line in the foreground. I could look toward the lake and see Metra Electric/South Shore action. And finally, my view up Wabash gave me a great view of the east side and southeast interlocking of the loop (el) as well as the loop (skyscrapers). Always something rail-related every time you looked out the7D6A6FC8-93E5-4788-88B2-B3EFC539A826.jpeg windows.

Attachments

• 8FBFCADB-74C5-462A-A1BC-7B202D59D906.jpeg
    8FBFCADB-74C5-462A-A1BC-7B202D59D906.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back