Hotels In Emeryville?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi: My grandson and I are doing a turn-around on the California Zephyr in June. We have a reservation at the Hyatt House hotel in Emeryville for the night in between trips. Is anyone familiar with this hotel? The desk clerk told me it is easily walkable and safe.

I stayed at the Hyatt House for an evening before catching the northbound Coast Starlight. We walked from the hotel to the station at about 9:30 PM, and the only people we encountered were homeless right at the station.

edit to add: There is a famous Chinese fresh seafood restaurant nearby, with views of the Bay, Golden Gate, and San Francisco.

http://hkeo.us/

I have used that pedestrian bridge in the past to access the Hyatt House hotel and will (hopefully) be using it again in June.

Access to/from the Emeryville station to the hotel was easy enough for me to do a panic chase back to the hotel from the station (where I was waiting for the Eastbound Zephyr) when a few years ago I thought I had left my passport in my (vacated) hotel room.

A search of my room failed to find it - it was in my suitcase all along.

I've stayed in that Hyatt several times and enjoyed it immensely. Each time I asked for a room overlooking the station and got it. If you are a photographer, take a long lens to capture the train action from up high.

I'm wondering if it would be best to take a taxi to that Hyatt across the tracks. Anyway, I've had only one occasion to stay in Emeryville for the purpose of switching from the Coast Starlight to the California Zephyr about 10 years ago. So my experience might have been just a statistical fluke f I was alone at the time and decided to walk across the tracks to the hotel using that pedestrian bridge. As I was getting on the elevator three rather intimidating-looking adolescents got on the elevator with me and started making some rather provocative comments. Frankly I was a little concerned for my safety and I certainly was glad my wife and daughter were not with me at the time. Fortunately nothing happened but at the time I certainly thought that walk to the hotel from the pedestrian bridge was one of the longest walks I'd ever taken.

I decided then I'd take a taxi if there was a next time. By the way, I remember the hotel was comfortable and I remember being very impressed with their hot breakfast.

We stayed at that hotel in early 2011 en route from Santa Ana to Glenwood Springs -- long enough ago that it might have been owned by a different chain. As I recall, the northbound Starlight was running late and let us off there at nearly midnight. We had intended to hoof it, and there were no taxis around by the time we made it into the station (we had been in a sleeper room and it was a long hike back to the station entrance). The Amtrak agent took pity on us and volunteered to drive us and all of our luggage over there in his own vehicle, which certainly was above and beyond. I remember it being quite a nice hotel, but we barely had time to sleep and bathe before heading out in the morning to board the Zephyr. We never got to try the breakfast.

An agent at Glenwood Springs in the '90s told me that she sometimes drove passengers on a late train to their hotel in her own car, and asked me not to write about it because Amtrak would come down on her head. So I didn't, until now. She's long retired. There ARE people at Amtrak who go above and beyond in customer service.

An agent at Glenwood Springs in the '90s told me that she sometimes drove passengers on a late train to their hotel in her own car, and asked me not to write about it because Amtrak would come down on her head. So I didn't, until now. She's long retired. There ARE people at Amtrak who go above and beyond in customer service.

Oh, I hope I didn't just get that guy into trouble by telling that story here. I would rather see good deeds go unpunished.

I stayed at the Hyatt Place last year to catch the Zephyr. There are actually two Hyatts about a block apart. The Hyatt House is the closer one. It was a very nice mid-range hotel. The morning walk to the overpass and train station was about 10 minutes with a rolling suitcase. I understand that the homeless who used to live under the highway overpass were cleared out. I had no issues on my walk at all. I did end up carrying my luggage up and down the steps at the overpass however. There were what appeared to be large puddles of urine in front of the elevator doors.

Stayed there a couple of times...no problems. Across the tracks from the station. Because of my wife's condition we took a taxi but, its certainly walkable. Our room had a view of the station.
Photo of the Hyatt from the station.

WOW !!!!!!!! What an EXCELLENT set of pictures and movies. I'm not an expert, but this is the best I have ever seen and they made me want to get on a train immediately. When people complain about Amtrak or its' services, they should go through all of your pictures and movies because what you have here is what riding trains is really all about.

Hi! I'm Nate and I actually live in Emeryville within walking distance to the EMY station. I can attest that this area is rather pleasant and reasonably safe for walking to/from the hotel. There is a mall, a marina, and some good restaurants also within walking distance. That said, despite how tidy Emeryville is in appearance (compared to other Bay Area cities) do exercise good judgement and caution as a pedestrian as like any other city, there are some sketchy aspects.

WOW !!!!!!!! What an EXCELLENT set of pictures and movies. I'm not an expert, but this is the best I have ever seen and they made me want to get on a train immediately. When people complain about Amtrak or its' services, they should go through all of your pictures and movies because what you have here is what riding trains is really all about.
Thanks Gary! Most of those taken with a Samsung Galaxy S7 smartphone. More recently the S9 and now, the S22+.

Last edited:
Back