Hotels near Flagstaff Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NETrainfan

Lead Service Attendant
Hi- We are in the process of planning a cross-country train trip from Boston to Flagstaff (and then going to Sedona,AZ by car.) Any suggestions for a hotel quite close to the Flagstaff Station? Thanks for any info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi- We are in the process of planning a cross-country train trip from Boston to Flagstaff (and then going to Sedona,AZ by car.) Any suggestions for a hotel quite close to the Flagstaff Station? Thanks for any info.
The hotel Monte Vista is about two block north of the station. On our train trip to Flagstaff (and Sedona) we stayed there. It is a bit quirky but we enjoyed it. It has a big neon sign that you can't miss!

The Embassy Suites is not too far away, a short taxi ride or drive if you rent a car! (Plus you get AGR points!)
biggrin.gif

I have stayed at the Drury a number of times and while you might want to take a taxi if you have a fair amount of luggage, it is walkable, which I have done for both the morning and evening arrivals and departures at FLG, ( They have let me leave my car in their garage, too, for a two week period at no charge. ) The hotel is quite nice and opened just a couple of years ago, actually on the Northern Arizona University campus. Just walk to the west end of the station platform, which is Beaver St., walk south about two blocks to the next major street, Butler, cross it and walk west about two blocks.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look into all of them. The train arrives in Flagstaff at 8:51 p.m. -so we'll take a taxi to the hotel even though we don't take too much luggage (one carry-on & one small rolling suitcase.) Travel lite, but take a taxi in the dark!

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look into all of them. The train arrives in Flagstaff at 8:51 p.m. -so we'll take a taxi to the hotel even though we don't take too much luggage (one carry-on & one small rolling suitcase.) Travel lite, but take a taxi in the dark!
As is often the case the train runs late. We got into Flagstaff at about 11:00 PM and were concerned about walking to the Monte Vista in the dark. Turned out not to be a problem as the streets are very well lit and there were a lot of people walking. No taxi was necessary even the next day when we picked up our rental car. It was only two blocks away from the hotel. Flagstaff is very easy to navigate!

If you go to mapquest.com/maps you can type in "train station, flagstaff, az" and get a map of downtown Flagstaff. There are "buttons" near the top of the page, one of them is a symbol of a bed. If you click on the bed (hotels) the map will fill with a number of nearby hotels.

The Hotel Weatherford and Monte Vista are two classic historical hotels within two blocks or so of the train station. I would choose one of those, for the ambience and ease of walking from the station.

The Hotel Weatherford and Monte Vista are two classic historical hotels within two blocks or so of the train station. I would choose one of those, for the ambience and ease of walking from the station.

I can tell you about my experience with the Monte Vista, The room was unbearably hot in the winter (February) and the only way to control the temperature was to open the window. Doing this just increased the noise from the lounge house band. The washroom was a converted closet, it made a Superliner roomette look like a suite. I had to stand sideways in the shower or I hit the washbasin with my hips. The coffee shop was dirty and I observed a roach. Their is NO WAY I would ever stay there again or recommend it to anyone. Yes it is old and historic so are the Mesa Verde cliff dwellings which just might be a more comfortable place to spend a night.

Just a few words of wisdom from the oldtimer 2

wacko.gif
help.gif
mda.gif

I stayed at Best Western Pony Soldier Inn. It's also across the street from the BNSF transcon.

3030 E Route 66, Flagstaff, AZ, 86004 United States 866-539-0036

Sorry I'm a bit late with this question. Last summer when my family and I traveled to Arizona, we stayed at the Radisson which is a good mile or so from the station, but they do provide a free shuttle. You may need to wait about 20-30 minutes for it to arrive, but it is a nice place.

Dan

Having stayed at a motel close to the station a few years back, I have to admit the transcon freights coming off the mountains or working up a head of steam going up the mountains with horns blaring every 15 minutes or so can make a nights sleep (or not) very interesting. At least by morning there is nothing about the doppler effect that you don't know about. ;)

Another late reply.....

I stayed at the Monte Vista in OCT 2006 and thought it was Ok. I'll agree with a previous post that the bathrooms are on the small side, but I thought the place was reasonably clean. I didn't spend much time at the hotel....pretty much only crashing for the night. Each of the rooms are named after famous persons. I don't remember the name of my room, but I remember it was across the hall from the Barbara Stanwyck room. I would recommend the Monte Vista with understanding that folks realize this is not a modern hotel and that they will likely hear freight trains periodically during the day and night.

We stayed in the Super 8 that is near NAU conference center. Staff were attentive and responsive but the room was not up to what I have come to expect from a Super 8. We used the handicap access room which was a disappointment because there was a bathtub, instead of a roll-in shower, and it was not useable. Cleanliness of the room was also an issue.

I'm taking the westbound SWC to Flagstaff in about 2-1/2 weeks. We have reservations at The Highland Country Inn.

Has anyone stayed there? Is it really within walking distance to the train station or is advisable to

take a taxi at night? Thanks.

I'm taking the westbound SWC to Flagstaff in about 2-1/2 weeks. We have reservations at The Highland Country Inn.

Has anyone stayed there? Is it really within walking distance to the train station or is advisable to

take a taxi at night? Thanks.
Yes, it is walkable. I have not stayed in that motel. It is less than half a mile. Rather than walking under the rather dark RR underpass on Rt. 66, I would recommend going to the grade crossing at the west end of the station, Beaver St. and walk south a couple of blocks on Beaver to the first traffic light. Turn right and stay on the north side of this street, which is Butler Ave. Walk west about two blocks and you will see the Drury Hotel on the left. Walk straight ahead to the traffic light at Milton and cross the street and the Highland is directly across the street.

Speaking of the Drury……I very much recommend the Drury Inn in Flagstaff, as have others here on this forum. They give you three decent meals, treat you like a real human being, and the rooms are very nice and clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back