How about a rolling stock reference tool?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andersone

Conductor
As a former librarian I have lived my life with the advice of my 8th grade science teacher Mr. Corwin who taught "It's not what you remember but where you remember to find it."

I am at a lost to tell the difference between an "Amfleet 1" and an "Amfleet 2" and all the variances in between the rolling stock,,,, I am intrigued by the discussions but lack enough knowledge to understand the nuances. I loved building the table of meals because I could find the data and organize it into something that could serve a purpose and perhaps creating a collection

Might the coalition of wizards that abound here consider contributing photos and descriptions of the various types and kinds of equipment so that those of us that have inquiring minds could see the difference between the flavors of Heritage cars?

If it is a stupid idea then my apologies. If such a tool already exists please point me to it.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

As a former librarian I have lived my life with the advice of my 8th grade science teacher Mr. Corwin who taught "It's not what you remember but where you remember to find it."

I am at a lost to tell the difference between an "Amfleet 1" and an "Amfleet 2" and all the variances in between the rolling stock,,,, I am intrigued by the discussions but lack enough knowledge to understand the nuances. I loved building the table of meals because I could find the data and organize it into something that could serve a purpose and perhaps creating a collection

Might the coalition of wizards that abound here consider contributing photos and descriptions of the various types and kinds of equipment so that those of us that have inquiring minds could see the difference between the flavors of Heritage cars?

If it is a stupid idea then my apologies. If such a tool already exists please point me to it.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
On the subject of Heritage Cars there is a definitive book "Amtrak by the numbers" written by the gentleman who maintains the Amtrak Roster section of the On-Track-On-Line web site. It costs $79. It is pretty much almost the final word on the subject.

Amfleet 1: Entry doors on both ends

Amfleet 2: Entry doors on one end only

---PCJ (And now you know :) )

I can never remember off the top of my head which is which, but one Amfleet types has bigger windows as well.

VERY simplified car spotting tips:

Amfleet Ii (round shape) has larger windows and, as noted above, only a single vestibule.

Amfleet I (round shape) has slightly smaller windows and a vestibule on each end of the car (not to be confused with depowered Metroliner cars, however)

Horizon cars are 'boxy' in shape, small Amfleet I size windows, two vestibules.

Superliners are bi-level; Superliner I cars have a truck design with a more 'complex' look than compared to Superliner II cars with more standard trucks (easiest way I can think of to explain how to tell them apart).

Viewliners have a distinctive angled shape and, for sleepers and diners, two rows of windows. Viewliner baggage cars retain the angled shape.

Heritage cars are more similar in shape to Horizons, but generally have fluted stainless steel (shiny) exteriors. Larger windows (in diners) than Horizon cars; There are no Horizon baggage cars, which makes identification easier (its either Heritage or a Viewliner).

Talgo trains are only found in the Pacific Northwest, North Carolina cars are all of Heritage design, and of course Acela are trainsets (locomotive on each end) in the Northeast Corridor.

Surfliner cars resemble Superliners, but have two lower entry doors on each side, as opposed to one on a Superliner.

Thanks, A Voice--

Very nice summary sheet. :)

Also, I think Amfleet I car numbers start with "8" and Amfleet II car numbers start with "2"? That's how I always have told them apart from the outside, but is that universally true? (Or have I just guessed right every time? :p )

For a comprehensive list of Amtrak car numbers see: http://on-track-on-line.com/amtk-roster-cars.shtml

Amfleet 1 Food service cars are in the 4xxxx series Club Dinette (48xxx), Full Dinette (41xxx). Coaches (82xxx)/BC (81xxx)are in the 8xxxx series.

Heritage Diners are in the 85xxx series

Amfleet II are all in the 2xxxx series specifically 25xxx (Coach) and 28xxx (Diner Light)

Incidentally, for those that have the "Amtrak by the Numbers" book, now there is an update page with updates and corrections for the information in the book at: http://on-track-on-line.com/amtkrinf-amtrakbythenumbers.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back