how are the shared showers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

penfrydd

Service Attendant
Taking Lake Shore Limited, Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, and Capitol Limited all in roomettes. How are the showers

They are fine!

The only issue is that sometimes on the LSL there is stuff stored in the shower room. Since it's only a one night ride, I generally avoid using the shower on the LSL.

All the community showers, except on the Lake Shore Limited (LSL) are on the lower level of the car. Because the LSL is a single level car, it is (of course) on the same level at the end of the car. The shower room has a lock on the door and separate dressing room and shower areas. Clean towels and soap are provided, but not things like shampoo. Unless you try to take a shower at a popular time (like maybe 9 AM), most times there is never a line. The longest line I've seen is 1 passenger waiting! (99% of the time, no one is waiting.)

The showers have been perfect the many times I have used them (on Superliners only). I generally make an effort to use them during long station stops and toward the beginning of the train's run rather than toward the end. Just me. This last trip I was in a transdorm and there were no less than 3 showers - two on the upper level and 1 below. They were very lightly used if it all.

Showers have been fine. The worst part is that in some of them, you have to keep pushing the button, and if you have a lot of hair to rinse (like me), that can get old. Sometimes I've found the bundle of towels outside on the luggage rack, and had to take one in with me. If you are on certain trains (EB comes to mind), there may be a cute little velour bag of toiletries including a shampoo, conditioner, and shower cap in your room when you arrive. Quality was good on these. There is almost always a fresh pile of wrapped personal soaps in the dressing-room, and sometimes soggy partly-used soaps in the shower, but a good SCA takes care of the trash so you get a clean and well-supplied shower!

I usually have my little bottle of all-purpose bodywash and shampoo with me "just in case."

Last edited by a moderator:
Use them early as some patrons are a little messy and the SCA doesn't always look after them. Also, I usually try and take a shower at some odd time to avoid any conflict.

I try never to share the shower when I am using it :giggle:

I bring my own shower gel and never wash hair on a train. Be sure to bring shower shoes (or stand on a washcloth). Only take your change of clothes and minimal toiletries into the shower room. I've never had to wait for the shower, apparently many people don't take advantage of that amenity.

I think it's the best part of being in a sleeper. I've taken them at station stops, traveling at 78 mph, ect. Most of the times there is a can of cleaner, which I use before and after. I always pack and mostly use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and stand on a washcloth. This past 8 day trip, I tried to stay in my normal routine and showered in the am before breakfast. Always peek for clean towels before you shower and ask if you don't see any! Always makes me giggle at longer rest stops to see the water running out... I know that shower is running! I agree that there is not much room to manuever so plan on very limited wiggle room. Also, water can come out so put your shoes up so they don't get wet!

I think the procedure for washing is like the Navy.

Enjoy!

I've had used the shower on the EB and always had hot water, fresh towels, and I love the smell of the shampoo they offer. I lay a towel on the floor when I get out, and I clean up after myself when I am done.

The shower on the Viewliner, I found that very small, and on our last trip in June on it, the water was cool, so it was a very short shower! I was bummed out they don't offer a bag of shampoo/soap like I've gotten inthe past on the EB.

Having had a bedroom twice westbound on the Zephyr, there is nothing finer than taking a shower early in the morning as you zip across the Nevada high desert, then toweling off with the shower/bathroom door open to the never-ending vista of empty space and mountains out the bedroom window.

I love the smell of the shampoo they offer.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. For me the most evocative smells of Amtrak are the smell of the shampoo and lotion they give out, and the smell of the disinfectant they use. I was sorry when they moved to the cardboard shampoo tubes. I'm balding, so I need less and less shampoo, and a whole tube is really overkill.

Does the shampoo smell like the soap? I always bring my own shampoo since I'm picky, so I've never smelled it.

Anyway, I LOVE that cherry almond smell the soap has and wish I could find it in a regular brand.

Soooo....

I went to use the shower really early one morning - about 4:30 AM IIRC - on the Zephyr...

...opened the door to the shower room - I mean who is going to be using the shower at that hour?...

and there was a couple in the shower! :blush: :blush: :blush:

Soooo....

I now knock before entering. And the other lesson learned - make sure you LOCK the door, as sometimes it seems locked when its not!

Of course then there was the time I knocked on a bathroom door to see if it was occupied. It was, and the woman who was in it gave me holy hell for knocking when she came out, saying the knocking 'disturbed' her! :eek:

But I shook it off, thinking to myself that she was 'disturbed' already! :giggle:

I think it's the best part of being in a sleeper. I've taken them at station stops, traveling at 78 mph, ect. Most of the times there is a can of cleaner, which I use before and after. I always pack and mostly use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and stand on a washcloth. This past 8 day trip, I tried to stay in my normal routine and showered in the am before breakfast. Always peek for clean towels before you shower and ask if you don't see any! Always makes me giggle at longer rest stops to see the water running out... I know that shower is running! I agree that there is not much room to manuever so plan on very limited wiggle room. Also, water can come out so put your shoes up so they don't get wet! I think the procedure for washing is like the Navy.

Enjoy!
Would that be water on, get wet, water off, bathe, water on, rinse, water off. At least on Amtrak you don't have to worry about taking an angle or the general alarm sounding while your in the shower.

I take a regular shower, but a short one. I like to be early to beat the crowd

and find the shower room in good order.

Only a few times I have had to wait on the shower room. Go early, heed the advice of others who have posted here- make sure you have the towel available. As mentioned, sometimes they are stacked in a package in the luggage storage area on the Superliners. I forgot to grab one from there once and then remembered there were no towels in the shower room, almost was in the shower before that thought came up :help: . Yes and remember to lock the door. :giggle:

Does the shampoo smell like the soap? I always bring my own shampoo since I'm picky, so I've never smelled it.
Anyway, I LOVE that cherry almond smell the soap has and wish I could find it in a regular brand.
No, not as good as the hand soap! But, the Sampoo smells good!

Soooo....

I went to use the shower really early one morning - about 4:30 AM IIRC - on the Zephyr...

...opened the door to the shower room - I mean who is going to be using the shower at that hour?...

and there was a couple in the shower! :blush: :blush: :blush:

Soooo....

I now knock before entering. And the other lesson learned - make sure you LOCK the door, as sometimes it seems locked when its not!

That was YOU! Why didn't you say something?

I am in the middle of a four train five day trip from Spokane to Washington DC and took a shower this morning on the CS. This shower had to be designed by a sadist. :angry: :p :lol: The water didn't warm at all so I put it at the hottest temp possible which was still only lukewarm. Naturally as soon as I began to shower did it warm up.....going immediately from lukewarm to scalding. Lesson learned.......outwait the water temp no matter how long it takes to warm BEFORE you shower. :lol:

I think the shampoo was herbal. I'm very picky too, as most shampoos have ingredients that make me stuff up (though not as bad as Hubby, he's even more sensitive!). Here's a link to the brand: http://www.gilchristsoames.com/collections/beekind.html.

And pay heed to the latch to make sure it indeed latches! Last year I was traveling with a friend and he set off to shower but returned to the Room a few minutes later with his kit, red as a Sugar Beet and then some. He explained he opened the Shower Door and standing there was a woman just as raw as could be. As fast as he got that door shut, he said she did smile.

A few hours later at Dinner we were seated with a very pleasant woman and enjoyed a nice conversation although Glenn seemed to be a bit on the quiet side. When we left he busted out laughing saying that was the woman from the Shower :eek: :D

And pay heed to the latch to make sure it indeed latches! Last year I was traveling with a friend and he set off to shower but returned to the Room a few minutes later with his kit, red as a Sugar Beet and then some. He explained he opened the Shower Door and standing there was a woman just as raw as could be. As fast as he got that door shut, he said she did smile.
A few hours later at Dinner we were seated with a very pleasant woman and enjoyed a nice conversation although Glenn seemed to be a bit on the quiet side. When we left he busted out laughing saying that was the woman from the Shower :eek: :D
Wonder if she recommended a Gibson and the Trout! :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back