How bad will it be?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob_C

Lead Service Attendant
Okay, so this has been worrying me:

We're on the Silver Star in Coach in what will probably be a sold out train before Christmas from WAS to RGH or the next stop, depending on what we decide to do.

How much luggage space is there on this train compared to say a Superliner?

If we're going to RGH, I could *check* a bag, but the in-laws would prefer we stay on to the next stop, Carey, NC that has no baggage service.

Must Carry on:

Laptop bag.

Other Bags:

Medium/large bag with wheels.

Backpack with overnight items from sleeping car segments.

What's realistic here and not going to be a major headache and how full will the overhead luggage racks be? Are there any other luggage racks on these trains?

Thanks!

I've been on some really packed trains and I've never seen a problem with baggage space. At very worst, bags can be stacked pretty high on the compartment above your seat. The luggage racks at the ends of the cars do fill up, but I've never seen an issue with luggage space above seats.

Must Carry on:
Laptop bag.

Other Bags:

Medium/large bag with wheels.

Backpack with overnight items from sleeping car segments.
Is your "medium/large bag" the size that would fit in an airplane overhead bin? If so, it will easily fit in the overhead rack on an Amfleet II. Boarding at WAS, you will find space in the overhead rack. The train will likely fill to capacity at WAS but it will be half empty until WAS, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding space when you board. This is the typical pattern for the Crescent on the day before Thanksgiving, and I imagine it holds true for the Silvers the day before Christmas.

Even if your "medium/large bag" is larger than an airplane overhead bin size, you may actually still be able to fit it on an Amfleet II overhead rack -- the racks are larger than airplane bins. And I think there is space for one or two large bags at the end of each coach; someone else can confirm that, I'm sure.

The big bag measures:

1'3"/2'/9"

Thanks for the responses so far! Leaving WAS a couple days before Xmas but those trains are already in high bucket so will probably sell out the same I'm guessing.

Cheers

Rob,

It sounds like you're connecting in WAS, so first off make sure you keep your ticket stubs from the sleeper trip so that you can use the Club Acela Lounge. This should get ou down to the train ahead of the rest of the coach passengers to make it easier to find space for the luggage.

However, you may also wish to consider getting a redcap to help you. This would get you down to the train even earlier, especially since I'm not 100% sure if they'll let you board from the lounge since you're not in a sleeper.

The last time I was in a situation where luggage storage was an issue, I actually shipped clothing to my destination and then shipped most stuff back home. All I had was a small duffle bag for on board. It required a little more planning than I normally do, but worked out very nicely.

Thanks for the tips. It sounds like we will probably be okay with the luggage and coming off a sleeper from 30 will help, though I would worry if we are told at the last minute we have to get into the back of a coach line. Anybody done this exact same thing?

Thanks for the tips. It sounds like we will probably be okay with the luggage and coming off a sleeper from 30 will help, though I would worry if we are told at the last minute we have to get into the back of a coach line. Anybody done this exact same thing?
And that was my worry too, that they might send you to the coach line. They do that with Regionals, but then there is no sleeper class on the Regionals. So I believe that they would send you out with the sleeping car pax to the train.

However, retaining a redcap ensures that you won't be told to go board with the coach pax.

Can you pick up a redcap in the Club Acela? I dunno, I would just feel bad getting a redcap for a 30 year old in good shape with two or three bags... I would hate to deprive someone who really needs the service, you know?

Can you pick up a redcap in the Club Acela? I dunno, I would just feel bad getting a redcap for a 30 year old in good shape with two or three bags... I would hate to deprive someone who really needs the service, you know?
There are plenty of Red Caps at Union Station - most people do not ask to use them! All you have to do is ask at the desk at the Club Acela and they will call one for you.

I am not (too) old at 49 and if I'm connecting to the Crescent or CL, I usually have just 2 bags (including my netbook). I still ask for a Red Cap! (And you may not be the only one being taken by that Red Cap. If they use the Cart, I've seen 3-5 others being taken to the train at the same time!)

Once I requested a Red Cap to bring me out to my Regional. I got out there before they even switched engines - so I had to wait to board!

Another advantage of using a Red Cap is that they will load your bags on the car, and store them for you! ;) So you don't really have to worry about "finding room"! :cool:

Forget about your age, size, physical shape.... Take $5.00 out, get a Red Cap, and LEAVE YOUR WORRIES BEHIND.

done.

done.

done.

There are plenty of Red Caps at Union Station - most people do not ask to use them! All you have to do is ask at the desk at the Club Acela and they will call one for you.

I am not (too) old at 49 and if I'm connecting to the Crescent or CL, I usually have just 2 bags (including my netbook). I still ask for a Red Cap! (And you may not be the only one being taken by that Red Cap. If they use the Cart, I've seen 3-5 others being taken to the train at the same time!)

Once I requested a Red Cap to bring me out to my Regional. I got out there before they even switched engines - so I had to wait to board!

Another advantage of using a Red Cap is that they will load your bags on the car, and store them for you! ;) So you don't really have to worry about "finding room"! :cool:
I use Redcaps all the time at WAS Union Station on my short CL trip to Harpers Ferry. I use a lower level coach seat and want to assure early boarding to secure a good seat. My luggage at the most is a small suitcase and a carryon. Never a problem in securing a Red Cap. Actually there are a few who know me and will grab my bags on sight. Surely use this service to address your concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back