How can Amtrak improve accessibility?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One problem often seen in designing for "accessibility" is that one persons benefit can be the opposite for someone else. One size does not fit all. Toilets set low to facilitate chair transfer can be a nightmare for someone post broken hip. The extra space to the side that allows someone to put a chair alongside can preclude someone from reaching grab bars to stand up.

One problem often seen in designing for "accessibility" is that one persons benefit can be the opposite for someone else. One size does not fit all. Toilets set low to facilitate chair transfer can be a nightmare for someone post broken hip. The extra space to the side that allows someone to put a chair alongside can preclude someone from reaching grab bars to stand up.
+1
As someone who is not disable per say. My height does cause problems. Local grocery store relocated my type of cereal to the lowest self. Nothing like have to lie on the floor to reach the boxes in back. When use a toilet I seek out the higher seats, easier on the knees to get up. One size does not fit all. However you do need to have standardization. You can not design to meet everyone needs, the railcars are not that big.

The "H" room on the Viewliner 2, has been redesigned several times per Amtrak and is "A nightmare".

It's too bad we don't have a good set of standards to design around. At Denver this year riding the transit system I so saw a couple of super sized power chairs, they would never fit on a Amtrak train. I was impressed with both the operators. One was out with coffee in "hand". The other look independent but probably should of had a aid with her. I really love see that these two were doing the same thing that I was. That how it should be.

Motion to require the track gauge to be change to seven feet between the rail. Anyone to second?

Last edited by a moderator:
I helped a friend with mobility limitations a few times by accompanying him on a short cruise. The ship had some rooms setup with some features that made the room easier to use (no lip to enter shower, rails and fold down bench, slightly wider doors) but not wheelchair toilet and sink. The group of rooms were located near an elevator bank. It worked out pretty well. I realize the space on a railcar is not comparable to a ship, but I like the fact that they tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back