How Covid safe are Amtrak sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read that for some reason smokers are less likely to contract the virus, even though they might do poorly if they get sick.
This is one of those junk science claims that came out early in the pandemic. Smokers are not less likely to catch it, and if they DO catch it, their compromised lungs can be a detriment.

Will be riding In a sleeper this Friday we’ll see how it goes. 91 NYP-KIS. I took a 12 hour coach trip last month in a business car NYP - ALT with a fair amount of people in it so that kind of took care of any timid ness I may have had about riding. Im sure I’ll be more comfortable in a roomette.

Does Amtrak plan to do any kind of screening or temperature checks?

I read that for some reason smokers are less likely to contract the virus, even though they might do poorly if they get sick.

Is it time to bring back outdoor smoking lounge cars?
That's why I only eat foods with long lists of Preservatives, to Preserve my Health. 🤣 😷

Hmm. Do CPAPs filter the room air before injecting it into one's airway? If so, what kind of filter?

I don't know if different makes or models have different filters. I am most familiar with a Respironics device that has two filters. One is a paper filter on a once-a-month replacement schedule and the other is a washable filter (I assume foam) on a once-a-week wash schedule and twice-a-year replacement schedule. I doubt if the combination would be significantly effective against pollen or virus hazards, but I easily be underestimating the effectiveness of the pair.

Hmm. Do CPAPs filter the room air before injecting it into one's airway? If so, what kind of filter?
Yes they do, as long as you remember to change the filter. :) Mine had 2 filters, a foam insert for the raw air, and then a smaller finer filter inside. I think that filter might be a HEPA filter. But you still need a mask, because it doesn't filter the air you exhale out.

I don't know if different makes or models have different filters. I am most familiar with a Respironics device that has two filters. One is a paper filter on a once-a-month replacement schedule and the other is a washable filter (I assume foam) on a once-a-week wash schedule and twice-a-year replacement schedule. I doubt if the combination would be significantly effective against pollen or virus hazards, but I easily be underestimating the effectiveness of the pair.
This is the same set up my unit has. The paper filter is especially good with dust.

Back