How do LD Trains Compare Cost-Wise to Driving?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One major issue is that there are few LD routes and so your desired destination might not be accessible by Amtrak without traveling to the closest possible station and then renting a car for the remaining distance. Or getting to your desired destination might require multiple trains necessitating layovers in cities other than your final destination. But if it's a straight shot on the train, I suspect it's only more cost-effective to take the train on trips over 1,000 miles. Still, driving is very stressful for me and the scenery is generally just ugly freeway, whereas I enjoy the time on the train and depending on the route, the scenery can be fantastic.

I have driven a few million miles and can still do road trips if needed.

A couple drawbacks to driving:
  • the driver does not get the full enjoyment of the scenery since the attention must remain on the road and/or traffic
  • when traveling alone you have to stop to get any rest - you can rest on the train while it is moving along even if you are traveling by yourself

A couple years ago (remember the Delta A/L CEO) I started due to rustled my feathers - my own Amtrak topic-message/chat for my local geographic area. As a result I received a private message that sold 3 east coast of round trips in two roommates. The trip qualified in part for 50%. I’d just done the same route myself for $19 down an back night trains - Hotel Amtrak!

The same traveler will be booking round trip E to W on the Calif Zephyr AGAIN FOR THREE IN TWO ROOMETTES - I SOLD HER ON THE IDEA TO BOARD AN AMTRAK THRUWAY BUS a few stops before Emeryville because she did not want to bother her hosts - that lived north of SF.

in no time I found the right bus that dropped them off at a sporting goods store that she knew was two blocks from her destination!!!

SO DON’T FORGET ABOUT AMTRAKs THRUWAY BUS service.

On the other hand, we frequently travel from Boston to Rockland Maine. There used to be two direct Concord Coach line runs a day, but now there is only one. Amtrak only runs as far as Brunswick, Maine, but claims there is a Thruway bus to Rockland. I looked up the schedule, and rather than taking people from Brunswick, you have to switch to the bus at Portland. And here is the exciting schedule:

Boston North Station 8:55a - Portland 11:25a
1 hour 50 minute wait in the Portland Transit Center
Portland 1:15p - Rockland 3:15p

To be fair, I just looked up the Concord Coach and it appears that Amtrak is putting you on the existing CC run that left Boston at 11:15a. Why anyone would take Amtrak to Portland when they could catch the same bus 2 hours 20 minutes later is beyond me. Would it kill Amtrak to run a van from Brunswick?

Hopefully with Congress’s approval they’ll be a thread on AU regarding the building of the extension to Rockland.

I thought more buses ran and I found conflicting info. I tried calling but line was busy over 1 hour. Both what you posted and this:

1626745967602.png

The cost of driving is about 57 cents per mile so a cost of a 1000 mile road trip would be $570 + lodging and food. On a typical trip that comes to about $700 one way and 1 1/2-2 days on the road. The Amtrak bedroom fare would be considerably higher.
57 cents (actually 56.5 billable right now) covers the TOTAL cost of operating the vehicle and when budgeting for a trip, most travelers doi not factor in the maintenance, insurance and vehicle depreciation that figure covers. But it is a good comprehensive figure, especially if you can write off the trip.

Back