How does the "Amtrak Store" ship items?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way to contact someone from the Amtrak "Store" with questions about an item or shipping. I looked, but couldn't seem to find a contact phone number or contact email address, but those things are easy to miss, or, for me they are easy to miss/overlook.

I wanted to buy several of the train posters but they all include an addition shipping/handling charge. My question I want to ask is if I purchase several at once will I be able to consolidate the purchase and save on the individual extra ship/handle charge. It's in the range of $5 0r $10 per poster.

Is there any way to contact someone from the Amtrak "Store" with questions about an item or shipping. I looked, but couldn't seem to find a contact phone number or contact email address, but those things are easy to miss, or, for me they are easy to miss/overlook.

I wanted to buy several of the train posters but they all include an addition shipping/handling charge. My question I want to ask is if I purchase several at once will I be able to consolidate the purchase and save on the individual extra ship/handle charge. It's in the range of $5 0r $10 per poster.
lol The big ol' link at the top of the page that says "Contact"! http://store.amtrak.com/StaticPage.aspx?spid=2292

And just messing around with the ordering system, it doesn't appear that there really is additional cost, from what I see. 10 posters is $100, and $10.35 for shipping. 20 clip on ties (eww) are $99.80, and $10.35 for shipping. (Prices before my discount. :giggle: )

But I'm just an LSA, so who knows. I've never ordered anything from the store yet, so I'm not sure of the finer details. I would give Staples a call and see what they say.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the past, I was able to choose between USPS (a few options) and UPS. The most recent order about a month ago the USPS options had disappeared and could only receive it UPS.

And then UPS will hand it off to USPS at some point during the through trip from the warehouse to you house. Not saying it always will, but I have had things start with UPS and end up in USPS hands before reaching my house.

And then UPS will hand it off to USPS at some point during the through trip from the warehouse to you house. Not saying it always will, but I have had things start with UPS and end up in USPS hands before reaching my house.
I've never had that handoff to USPS from UPS from stuff I've ordered from the Staples store. However, I've ordered things on Amazon and recently bought a pair of shoes from JC Penney that involved the handoff.

I order an Amtrak wall calendar for my office wall each year and I am frustrated that Staples ships them in a huge box surrounded by bubble wrap. Sometimes the calendar is rolled with a rubber band holding it. Sometimes not. Sometimes the calendar arrives in OK shape, sometimes not. One year it had been ripped in transit because it was so poorly packaged. Staples did send a replacement when I complained so credit where credit is due.

I just find it curious that a national firm such as Staples hasn't seemed to discover poster tubes for shipping yet.

I order an Amtrak wall calendar for my office wall each year and I am frustrated that Staples ships them in a huge box surrounded by bubble wrap. Sometimes the calendar is rolled with a rubber band holding it. Sometimes not. Sometimes the calendar arrives in OK shape, sometimes not. One year it had been ripped in transit because it was so poorly packaged. Staples did send a replacement when I complained so credit where credit is due.

I just find it curious that a national firm such as Staples hasn't seemed to discover poster tubes for shipping yet.

My calendars are shipped in the same fashion, however, they arrive fine. No rubber band involved. I figure the size of the box and the plentiful bubble wrap makes my cats happy, I suppose. LOL

I do get my posters in the shipping tubes.

The posters I've received have arrived in excellent condition. One, I had to reorder, because I made the mistake of taking it out of the tube before I was ready to frame it. My cats thought it was a toy and tore it to shreds. Lesson learned. I have purchased the EB, CS, CZ, SWC, SL and TE ones and have them all hanging on my living room wall. Once the orders were processed, the shipping was pretty timely.

I've never had that handoff to USPS from UPS from stuff I've ordered from the Staples store. However, I've ordered things on Amazon and recently bought a pair of shoes from JC Penney that involved the handoff.
The last-mile hand off to the USPS for final delivery is called SurePost by UPS, and SmartPost by FedEx. Many times, this is the lowest cost, or free, shipping method. From my experience, it also takes quite a bit longer.

I was interested in one of their Cardinal baseball caps for 4.99. I could not satisfy my curiosity about the s/h charge without registering and giving them my email address. Does anybody have an idea what the s/h would be for such a small item?

My stuff purchased from the online store -- two baseball caps, a necktie, and a tote bag-- came via UPS Ground with about $6 for shipping. The shipping box was at least 3 times as large as it need be. The goods came from Iowa. I syspect the shipping rate was mostly weight-based.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back