How far can I go for $460 ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just sent an email to Amtrak about the validity of the pass. It may be that all travel has to be completed by midnight on the 15th day, or simply that the last journey must start before that time.

As the tickets are called "segments" I guess they are all treated as stand alone single tickets, so a late train will not be Amtrak's responsibility.

No worries about budget airlines, I can pack a sandwich and save $200+. Fine also with hand luggage if needs be, I think you guys have a store or two open if I need to buy more gear!
default_biggrin.png

Ed.

Surprisingly, Chicago would be a good starting point just now, there are some very attractive deals on Norwegian direct from London.
Careful with Norwegian. They charge for dinner, checked bags, choosing your seat, and more. They have very good fares, but just know what you’re paying for.
Norwegian is at least better than WOW (the other low cost carrier that flies transatlantic), because Norwegian at least lets you take a carry on. I have actually heard nothing but good things about Norwegian.

Surprisingly, Chicago would be a good starting point just now, there are some very attractive deals on Norwegian direct from London.
Careful with Norwegian. They charge for dinner, checked bags, choosing your seat, and more. They have very good fares, but just know what you’re paying for.
Norwegian is at least better than WOW (the other low cost carrier that flies transatlantic), because Norwegian at least lets you take a carry on. I have actually heard nothing but good things about Norwegian.
Yeah. As I understand it’s s good airline, but you just have to pay for some things that you might get free with other carriers. Compare this to Spirit or Frontier, where you have to pay for EVERYTHING and it’s a miserable flight.

Surprisingly, Chicago would be a good starting point just now, there are some very attractive deals on Norwegian direct from London. I also like the HI hostel in Chicago as a budget place to stay between trains. The Washington hostel is nice too, but I do love Chicago!
Plus, you'd get to meet me for lunch before departing.

(Maybe I need a crowd funding effort to get me into sleepers and proper hotels, rather than hostels!)
default_biggrin.png
I think you're onto something there!

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you get to/from Chicago Union Station to the HI Chicago?

If by bus, which bus?
You can walk, but it's just shy of a mile. I'm not sure if that's an issue for you. If not, my preferred route would be east on Jackson, south on State, east on Congress.

For buses, you can hop on either the #7 or #126. They both pick up where Jackson St. meets the river. If you go up to the Food Court level, stay to the right and go up the stairs for the "Jackson Street" exit. That'll put you right by the river. Just cross the street to catch the bus.

Alternately, especially if it's rush hour, you can use the Canal Street exit (up the escalators by the fountain). Turn left out of the exit and use the crosswalk to cross Jackson.

Take the bus east to Michigan and then pull the cord shortly after you turn right, when the bus PA announces Michigan & Van Buren. You'll be in front of Roosevelt University. From there, it's a short walk to the hostel. Walk south on Michigan (toward the Congress Hotel) and then turn right on Congress. The hostel is right next to the L tracks. You can't miss it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you get to/from Chicago Union Station to the HI Chicago?

If by bus, which bus?
For buses, you can hop on either the #7 or #126. They both pick up where Jackson St. meets the river. If you go up to the Food Court level, stay to the right and go up the stairs for the "Jackson Street" exit. That'll put you right by the river. Just cross the street to catch the bus.
Had to look it up, but my memory was right. #151 is another bus you can catch (I think that's the one you told me to use back in 2013
default_wink.png
)

KmH, you can use google maps to look for public transportation between Union Station and HI Chicago.

Had to look it up, but my memory was right. #151 is another bus you can catch (I think that's the one you told me to use back in 2013
default_wink.png
)

KmH, you can use google maps to look for public transportation between Union Station and HI Chicago.
If I did, I amend that. There's more walking involved if you use 151.
default_tongue.png

Ya. I looked where the HI is relative to Union Station location on Google Maps, and I saw where the bus lines run.

Google maps shows all the bus numbers that use a street.

The trick is then was figuring out which bus numbers to use.

The purpose of the pass is to ride the trains, not so much to visit the wider attractions. As I get older, I am torn between the genuine need to economise, get the biggest bang for my dwindling bucks, as you guys say, and at the same time a wish for more comfort and convenience in travel as a retired person. (Maybe I need a crowd funding effort to get me into sleepers and proper hotels, rather than hostels!)
I have no desire to help fund a lazy trip in boring sleepers and hotel rooms but I probably would contribute to a fund for 15 days of near constant coach travel. It wouldn't be easy, and I'm sure there would be various frustrations and other disappointments, but it would be a lot more comfortable than traveling hobo style and I'd bet the experience would make for an interesting blog/book. I'm pretty sure your suggestion was originally made in jest but I'm being entirely serious with my response.

I used the 15 day rail pass last fall augmented by a few segments I paid for,small amounts to keep the 8 stopover limit and started at the beginning of a new day to keep it to 15 days. My itinerary was Lewistown Pa Pittsburgh Chicago,Malta,Mt Portland,San Luis Obispo,LA,Temple,TX Chicago,Martinsburg WV,DC Fort Lauderdale. That took 15 days. I got a sleeper from PDX to SLO. I paid to get back to Lewistown. Think I got the bang for the buck

Ya. I looked where the HI is relative to Union Station location on Google Maps, and I saw where the bus lines run.

Google maps shows all the bus numbers that use a street.

The trick is then was figuring out which bus numbers to use.
On my iPhone, Google Maps tells me exactly which bus to take, depending on what departure or arrival time I give it.

Back