How full does a LD train have to be to be profitable?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also don't think you can tie profit to an exact number of passengers, because of the bucket rate structure. With not everyone paying the same fare, railroad income is different for each passenger. Then of course you have the passengers that are taking a short trip on a long train, so they may help fund a part of the overall journey.

The Silvers, Auto train, and Palmetto certainly share many facilities as well they also do Richmond north with the regional trains.

Can someone please explain this?

I don't think the Silvers/Palmetto share any stations with the Auto Train (the Auto Train uses only two stations, and those aren't share with any other train). As to cars, I don't think they do either (Silvers/Pametto use single level equipment, the Auto Train uses two level equipment plus the auto transport cars).

Can someone please explain this?

I don't think the Silvers/Palmetto share any stations with the Auto Train (the Auto Train uses only two stations, and those aren't share with any other train). As to cars, I don't think they do either (Silvers/Pametto use single level equipment, the Auto Train uses two level equipment plus the auto transport cars).
The Palmetto and Silver Service share many stations.

Auto Train has everything to itself.

I think, anyway

Came across this interesting account [Article was updated Feb 2020] regarding profitability and Amtrak. Although considered a service by the national government for the people, it is still expected to make money. A situation made more complex by dependence of freight lines for most trackage used, the pandemic, and at this time a wavering economy.

It is subsidized by the Federal and State governments... to serve the citizenry.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/072115/how-amtrak-works-makes-money.asp

Back