How Have You Used the Select + Companion Certificate?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explore

Train Attendant
Formerly Certificate H110, now H114. It requires payment of a full regular, senior, or disabled fare for one person, then the other person rides free - in coach. It is not good for advance-booked sleeper travel, only sleeper upgrades on board. Business or Acela First upgrades require payment of accommodation charges. It would appear that the new H114 cert does accumulate points on the paid ticket, as the T&C language prohibiting this has been removed. AGR confirms.

I'm curious how members of this forum have used the Companion Certificate - for NEC coach travel, Acela, day coach travel on other trains, overnight coach, transcontinental coach (ug), coach upgraded to sleeper on board, did you barter or sell the coupon for something you could use, or did it simply expire?

If you actually used the cert for Amtrak travel, what dollar value did you receive, taking into account that both parties might have qualified for AAA discounts, promo codes etc., if they didn't use the coupon? (For example, you would pay $54 full fare EMY-LAX for 2 with the coupon, and $97.20 for 2, AAA discount, without the coupon. Savings only $43.20 OW).

When I got a pair of these in late 2008, I used one on an NEC Coach trip from Baltimore to New York City.

Cost for the round trip for 2 people was $162, so when we split the total, we each got $81 in savings, treating it like it was a buy-one get one free for ourselves.

I have used it for ATL-NOL round trip. It is $58 each way so we saved $116. I bought it off ebay for about ten bucks. Then upgraded onboard each way to a roomette for $47. Total price was about $220 for two people round trip in First class with six meals.

Is it possible to use the companion certificate with a B3G1 Acela Promo ticket? I'm guessing no.

Back