How late is the Chicago lounge open for LSL boarding?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be going through CHI in a week, changing from the EB to the LSL. Weather and train arrival time permitting, I want to store my bags in the lounge and go outside for a walk and visit with a friend, then possibly dinner (I need to eat somewhere, LOL). Last time I did this, the lounge closed at 8pm, and regardless of departure time, I had to reclaim my bags before they closed and locked up for the night. This put a slight crimp in my socializing...

But I just checked Amtrak's website, and it says the Chicago lounge is open till 9pm these days. Can someone who boarded the LSL from the lounge recently confirm this is true?
Thanks!

You don't say what time they boarded you, but I expect they aren't doing the 8pm boarding with wine-and-cheese on the train before departure any more.
I’m assuming 9:00 pm since the train left on time @ 9:30
Know my pack rat tendencies, I may have my card with the time on it. I’ll try to remember to find it when I get home.

Last edited:
The Chicago - Union Station Page on Amtrak.com says the Lounge Hours are from 6:00am to 9:00pm.

Don't know how long you'll be on the Lake Shore (or where you going), but one strategy could be planning your luggage in a way that you could check a suitcase or an additional bag in Chicago to your final destination when you arrive at Union Station on the Lake Shore, and not have worrying about the lounge closing time, you could still have those items on the two night long Empire Builder. My strategy would be packing a small bag with only what I really needed for the single overnight on the Lake Shore that was small enough to keep with me on your Chicago layover and giving yourself more time, maybe boarding through the coach gates as late as 9:20 (they close the gates 5 minutes before departure)

We (pre-COVID, still not back to traveling by train quite yet) used to check my suitcase for my short trip home CHI-SOB which was generally just a rollaboard carry on after connecting from a plane, so we could go and get dinner without it. On one Amtrak trip we checked our 3rd suitcase in Chicago connecting from the Southwest Chief to the Capitol Limited, even with Metropolitan Lounge baggage storage access so it so it was one less thing to carry into coach.

Granted this strategy I might use less if South Bend wasn't a tiny station with super friendly agents and getting a bag barely takes any extra time. Denver for example (I don't know if it's gotten better with the new Union Station) but is a destination in the past at the Old Union Station I would avoid checking bags too since I remember waiting upwards of an hour before.

That piece of paper must be agent (I guess from the 1990s pre the now discontinued rebranding as ClubAcela) it's missing Metropolitan Lounges in Boston, Portland and Los Angeles in the text.

Is there a boarding call within the Chicago lounge for the LSL, or are you responsible for getting yourself to the lower level waiting area for boarding?

Is there a boarding call within the Chicago lounge for the LSL, or are you responsible for getting yourself to the lower level waiting area for boarding?
They announce the trains and tell you which track to walk to. If you need RedCap assistance, they pick you up outside the door. (They'll direct you.)

Word to the wise, make you you check that you have somewhere that'll be open for dinner (I'm assuming dinner), I'm getting the feeling that a lot of places may be closed due to the vaccination proof mandate (especially downtown with a lot of people working from home with Omicron).

OK, wow, great answers here! Thanks, everyone.
  1. 8:30 sounds like a great target for planning purposes, since I see they put 8:45 on your lounge pass as a return time.
  2. I will definitely be asking the agent at the desk for a specific time I need to be back, before I leave my bag in the lounge storage room.
  3. Checking a bag to BOS after I get off the EB is not a bad idea, but won't really work for me. And BTW, there is no issue with the lounge closure time for the westbound trip on the LSL-->EB.
  4. Got my vax card in my wallet, and electronic copy on my iPad. I have looked at a couple of websites for restaurants (walking distance from Union Station) recommended by an AU friend, and at this time they are both open. I will check again before I travel. I am glad that vaccine cards are required at this time.
I really appreciate being able to ask specific questions on this forum, and receive answers from people who have recent experience. Thank you for sharing!

OK, wow, great answers here! Thanks, everyone.

Checking a bag to BOS after I get off the EB is not a bad idea, but won't really work for me. And BTW, there is no issue with the lounge closure time for the westbound trip on the LSL-->EB.
As you may know, checking a bag to Boston on the Lake Shore won't work for many passengers because the Boston section of the Lake Shore has no baggage car. Instead, as I understand it, if you check a bag to Boston on the Lake Shore, the bag goes through to New York in the baggage car of the New York section of the Lake Shore. The bag is then unloaded and is placed on the overnight DC to Boston train and arrives in Boston in the morning. So while you can check a bag to Boston, there will be about a twelve-hour delay.

I would not try to cut it too close in picking up your bags from the lounge in Chicago. Those people are frantic to slam that lounge closed once the Lake Shore passengers can be moved out of there. I wouldn't want to get in their way.

As you may know, checking a bag to Boston on the Lake Shore won't work for many passengers because the Boston section of the Lake Shore has no baggage car. Instead, as I understand it, if you check a bag to Boston on the Lake Shore, the bag goes through to New York in the baggage car of the New York section of the Lake Shore. The bag is then unloaded and is placed on the overnight DC to Boston train and arrives in Boston in the morning. So while you can check a bag to Boston, there will be about a twelve-hour delay.

I intend to carry my bag on the Boston section because my sister lives about 40 minutes from the station, and I don't want to return the next day.

I would not try to cut it too close in picking up your bags from the lounge in Chicago. Those people are frantic to slam that lounge closed once the Lake Shore passengers can be moved out of there. I wouldn't want to get in their way.

Ha, ha, that's a great way to put it! I actually did that back when they pushed people out to the train early, and closed the lounge at 8pm. I was back with a few minutes to spare (having asked in advance about the timing), but they really wanted to be rid of that bag so they could leave, LOL. Not pushing it that close again. I will be back before boarding time.

I did that same connection in November. They called the Lake Shore at about 8:50 (lounge return time on the card they give you at Chicago said 8:45, so they really were not kidding). They also announced around 8:30 or that anyone with bags in the storage room should pick them up. They pretty much swept the lounge, because the only people left in it were for the LSL. I got the distinct impression they would close as soon as we left.

They did the "kindergarten walk" from the lounge side/back exit (the corridor where the restrooms and showers are) and led everyone to the platform. That was prior to them calling the coach passengers, so it was just us. Anyone wanting a Red Cap was told to gather by the lobby desk, those that did not were to line up in the corridor. BTW, there was an Lincoln Service train unloading on the other track on that platform and it was kind of a scrum once on the platform.

GENERAL INFO ABOUT
THE LOUNGE CLOSING TIME
Even though this was a while ago - we line up outside the lounge at 8:45PM fir the LSL at some went to the departure track and others waited for the lounge clerk to bring us.

When the Redcap showed up some sat others just loaded luggage - the lounge clerk wrestled with the door and walked with us and the Redcap to the LSL departure area. It was a moment of peace - last leg of TE - then....

OMG.

I told an Amtrak employee I needed help (bra ha ha) my winter coat is in the lounge!!! “It’s locked” no no “it’s locked” the departure employee said try but you really have time (about 25 min). I left my bags with the employee:window and ran like heck.

Ticket windows open / no help - supervisor - no help - no phone numbers - purely by luck I ran into a security guy “I’m not sure I have the key” ME: it would be worth ten bucks

He tried.

the key worked!!!! Grabbed my coat.

Less ten bucks but ten minutes to spare.

BTW - this was November 2017 - I think the interim lounge. I had a killer killer brisket - late lunch - outside Union Station - I was back right away / only then to drink an unlimited amount of Coke - enough to float away, let alone board a train.

My children make fun of me because while I am not paranoid I do err on the side of caution and I always think of the worst case scenario. I am always telling my son to get to the airport well ahead of time. He flies often and doesn't listen. I tell my daughter to listen to the morning weather report on the radio before starting on her daily commute in the winter. She doesn't listen.

They have a point about being too cautious but on Amtrak and at airports, the worst case scenario does occur a good percentage of time and erring on the side of caution has saved me many times.

My children make fun of me because while I am not paranoid I do err on the side of caution and I always think of the worst case scenario. I am always telling my son to get to the airport well ahead of time. He flies often and doesn't listen. I tell my daughter to listen to the morning weather report on the radio before starting on her daily commute in the winter. She doesn't listen.

They have a point about being too cautious but on Amtrak and at airports, the worst case scenario does occur a good percentage of time and erring on the side of caution has saved me many times.
That's probably normal if they haven't had the experience themselves.

GENERAL INFO ABOUT
THE LOUNGE CLOSING TIME
Even though this was a while ago - we line up outside the lounge at 8:45PM fir the LSL at some went to the departure track and others waited for the lounge clerk to bring us.

When the Redcap showed up some sat others just loaded luggage - the lounge clerk wrestled with the door and walked with us and the Redcap to the LSL departure area. It was a moment of peace - last leg of TE - then....

OMG.

I told an Amtrak employee I needed help (bra ha ha) my winter coat is in the lounge!!! “It’s locked” no no “it’s locked” the departure employee said try but you really have time (about 25 min). I left my bags with the employee:window and ran like heck.

Ticket windows open / no help - supervisor - no help - no phone numbers - purely by luck I ran into a security guy “I’m not sure I have the key” ME: it would be worth ten bucks

He tried.

the key worked!!!! Grabbed my coat.

Less ten bucks but ten minutes to spare.

BTW - this was November 2017 - I think the interim lounge. I had a killer killer brisket - late lunch - outside Union Station - I was back right away / only then to drink an unlimited amount of Coke - enough to float away, let alone board a train.
When using the luggage storage in the Met Lounges/Club Acelas I usually pull my luggage out and keep it with me once I return to the lounge and know I won't be leaving until train time. I usually use it only when I am going to go out into whatever city. About the only exception is LA sometimes, where they often put the bags into an little used conference room which they usually keep locked, then open it a bit before boarding starts with an announcement, "Passengers for xxxx, please get your bags, we will be boarding soon."

It is just because I don't want to be rushed when it is time to board and I usually have some checking/rearranging to do, too. But it also avoids the issue you had at Chicago. In my case, when I rode the LSL in November, I returned from dinner about 7:30 pm and pulled my bags out then.

Back