How long does it take to turn the Chief/Eagle/Zephyr/Limited, etc

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think that where the turnaround occurs would also be a factor. For example, in Chicago the train would be run through the wash rack, if possible; I'm not sure that Seattle/Portland or Emeryville (f'r example) even have a wash rack. Also, crews in Chicago see many trains a day; other terminal stations not so much.

Don't forget that in bad weather such as Miami summers or Chicago winters, people and equipment don't work as well as at other times of the year. Throw in one or more employees in a 5-6 person cleaning crew out sick or even a vacuum cleaner that doesn't have the suction power it should, things will take longer than 'normal', aka, 'ideal' conditions.

Don't forget that in bad weather such as Miami summers or Chicago winters, people and equipment don't work as well as at other times of the year. Throw in one or more employees in a 5-6 person cleaning crew out sick or even a vacuum cleaner that doesn't have the suction power it should, things will take longer than 'normal', aka, 'ideal' conditions.
Either that or the cleaning crew will take 'shortcuts'.

A lot depends on the terminal.

In New York, NY the trains run around a loop in the process to get into the yard. So that saves roughly twenty-thirty minutes of time.

Now in Chicago, IL the trains will back out of the terminal onto the former Burlington to wye the train. Then they will pull forward past CP Lumber onto the former PRR bridge over the Chicago River. Then they will back into the yard onto the train’s appropriate yard track.

Then it depends how long the train is for the rest of the time.

Then it’s all in how many people you have to service a train and how fast they can work. But remember a city like Chicago has eight long distance trains, and several short distance trains.

So crews are spread across multiple trains at one time

About 5 years ago No. 5 arrived over 14 hours late at Emeryville at 6:45 a.m.

We were leaving on No. 6 that day and it departed Emeryville at 2:01 p.m. close to five hours late.

About 5 years ago No. 5 arrived over 14 hours late at Emeryville at 6:45 a.m.

We were leaving on No. 6 that day and it departed Emeryville at 2:01 p.m. close to five hours late.

If OBS crews of the CZ are based in Chicago, then they require a minimum number of hours off a late-arriving Number 5 in Emeryville, before they can go out again on the next Number 6. Else, Amtrak would need to provide all necessary OBS off the Extra Board, or fly in substitute crews from other cities.

If OBS crews of the CZ are based in Chicago, then they require a minimum number of hours off a late-arriving Number 5 in Emeryville, before they can go out again on the next Number 6. Else, Amtrak would need to provide all necessary OBS off the Extra Board, or fly in substitute crews from other cities.
This would be nice but is untrue. OBS crews are expected to return to work as soon as train is ready to go when the layover is shortened.

nope mandated reststill applies.

Mandated rest applies to employees covered by federal hours of service laws. Amtrak OBS employees are not covered under hours of service regulations so they can and DO turn as necessary to cover the service. If the train is late, they turn right with it...if they're lucky. There have been situations where they don't even make it to their turnaround point and meet their return trip.

In pre-Amtrak days, the North Coast Limited had 5:40 to turn in Seattle. On one occasion I saw it depart eastbound an hour late due to a westbound delay. SO, they could do the turn in the scheduled time, but had little recovery time. Some of that hour could be made up en route (in Sep 27 we were half an hour late on Train 26 at Jamestown and arrived in Minneapolis on time-I rode in the lead dome from Fargo to Minneapolis and witnessed CTC at its finest).

SP&S had 8:00 to turn the combined North Coast Limited -- Empire Builder in Portland and rarely had a late start for Train 2. I do remember seeing heavyweight diner "Willamette" pinch-hitting for lightweight diner "Columbia" due to insufficient time for servicing and restocking when Train 1 came in late. The heavyweight was decked out properly, with flowers in the glass vases.

The UP had its long layover for the Domeliner City of Portland in the Rose City. Its short layover was in Chicago. I do remember UP trains coming into Portland late due to storms or accidents, but never saw a late departure eastbound.

The UP had its long layover for the Domeliner City of Portland in the Rose City. Its short layover was in Chicago. I do remember UP trains coming into Portland late due to storms or accidents, but never saw a late departure eastbound.

I can believe that, but remember that back in those days UP had no presence east of Omaha. Everything from there to Chicago was handled by the Milwaukee Road (or, pre-1955, the Chicago & North Western). It only makes sense that as UP was the driving force behind the train they would want to handle turnaround in their own shops/facilities.

Just remember if Amtrak had more service ( ie trains) then if a train was seriously late spare equipment would be more available and what needed to be turned all personnel could concentrate on just those cars.

I can believe that, but remember that back in those days UP had no presence east of Omaha. Everything from there to Chicago was handled by the Milwaukee Road (or, pre-1955, the Chicago & North Western). It only makes sense that as UP was the driving force behind the train they would want to handle turnaround in their own shops/facilities.
UP and Milwaukee Road pooled power was serviced at Albina Yard; the passenger and MBE cars were serviced at the Pullman portion of the Guilds Lake yard. They were shunted between Portland Union Station and the Lake yard by the terminal railway. It wasn't the most efficient set-up. In Denver the UP's intermodal yard (viewed from the RTD A-Line to DIA) is still referred to as the Pullman Yard by some, due to a similar set-up.

Back