How Long to See All of the NE?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VentureForth

Engineer
So... If I bound my journey to DC/Cleveland and all points NE, in how few routes and days could I travel through each station, and how many overnights in town would it require?

I know there are wanna be ticket agents that could work this out!

I'm thinking DC - st. Albans, find a ride to Plattsburg or Montreal, back to NYP, up to Portland, back to BON/BOS, over to Buffalo, up to Toronto, back to Cleveland, then to Philadelpha via Harrisburg (I've been on the Capitol so I don't need to redo that leg).

Is there a better way?

Last edited by a moderator:
So... If I bound my journey to DC/Cleveland and all points NE, in how few routes and days could I travel through each station, and how many overnights in town would it require?

I know there are wanna be ticket agents that could work this out!

I'm thinking DC - st. Albans, find a ride to Plattsburg or Montreal, back to NYP, up to Portland, back to BON/BOS, over to Buffalo, up to Toronto, back to Cleveland, then to Philadelpha via Harrisburg (I've been on the Capitol so I don't need to redo that leg).

Is there a better way?
Dunno, that's for the timetable jocks.

But to cover the Northeast Regional Region north of Washington DC, you still need to cover New York (or Albany or Saratoga Springs) - Rutland

Rutland is going to be the toughest part of the trip if you truly want to cover all the trackage in the NE. In fact its the only part of track I haven't covered in the NE.

IMO being from Philly, it's the kinda City that you could spend a good 5 days in and keep busy! Great night life in Fairmount and South Street if your into that stuff. The Duck Tours just returned a couple months ago after the tragedy last summer. Which is a little ironic. I was returning from RTE on 171 and arrived two hours late to find out on KYW 1060 which is a popular news radio channel that it had occurred. The cruise on the Delaware is much shorter now it's about I think half to three quarters the time less. There's plenty to do. In the city just ask the front desk what to do at the Hotel. :) Bus tour of the city, the Zoo (don't stray to far bad neighborhoods aren't to far! and Zoo interlocking is right around the corner!), Eastern State Prison, Independence Hall, Great Food ALL AROUND!!! Try to check out the Cheesesteak War! 9th and Passayunk. Pat's Steaks on one Corner and Geno's on the other. I'm a fan of Pat's! Whiz wit out!

That's just a list of stuff to do in the great city of Philly! :D

IMO being from Philly, it's the kinda City that you could spend a good 5 days in and keep busy! Great night life in Fairmount and South Street if your into that stuff. The Duck Tours just returned a couple months ago after the tragedy last summer. Which is a little ironic. I was returning from RTE on 171 and arrived two hours late to find out on KYW 1060 which is a popular news radio channel that it had occurred. The cruise on the Delaware is much shorter now it's about I think half to three quarters the time less. There's plenty to do. In the city just ask the front desk what to do at the Hotel. :) Bus tour of the city, the Zoo (don't stray to far bad neighborhoods aren't to far! and Zoo interlocking is right around the corner!), Eastern State Prison, Independence Hall, Great Food ALL AROUND!!! Try to check out the Cheesesteak War! 9th and Passayunk. Pat's Steaks on one Corner and Geno's on the other. I'm a fan of Pat's! Whiz wit out!

Thanks for that.

I did Philly some years back but want to come back to spend more time, although not everything I saw was pretty so I'd like some guidance. Where exactly are the bad neighbourhoods are what are the dos and don't. I'm basically interested in riding as much of the streecar system as possible, and that includes getting off and photographing at scenic or interesting locations. But I obviously don't want to take risks in bad neighbourhoods where I shouldn't be seen with a camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for that.

I did Philly some years back but want to come back to spend more time, although not everything I saw was pretty so I'd like some guidance. Where exactly are the bad neighbourhoods are what are the dos and don't. I'm basically interested in riding as much of the streecar system as possible, and that includes getting off and photographing at scenic or interesting locations. But I obviously don't want to take risks in bad neighbourhoods where I shouldn't be seen with a camera.

The Routes 10,11,13,15,34,36,101, and 102 run with street cars. The 101 and 102 with Pans. The 15 the restored PCC's the rest are the K cars. You can pretty much tell what a bad area is in Philly. Southwest Phily where the K cars end up at night is very rough. But gets better as the ride goes on. The 15 has some rough parts but nothing compared to what the K cars go through. Also the Broad Street Line and Market Frankford Line have become a little rougher. Stay away from them at the later hours at all costs. I think the one place to 100% stay away from right now is Southwest Philly. If you want anyother advice send me a PM. I'll gladly give it to you! :)

Why would anyone want to see all of the northeast?
huh.gif
The most important part is KIN!
laugh.gif

You're also forgetting that Washington-Lynchburg and Washington-Newport News is considered part of the NEC as well. Need to work those in if you want to be complete.

Rafi
I thought of that too, but then noticed that for his purpose, the OP had defined Northeast as North of Washington DC.

My recommendation:

WAS-PGH-PHL-NYP-CLE-BFX-TWO-on VIA to MTR-ALB-RUD-somehow get to SAB-SPG-BOS-BON-POR-BON-BOS-NHV-SPG-NHV-WAS.

Without consulting timetables, I'm quite sure this will require a few overnights. Is that necessarily so bad?

You're also forgetting that Washington-Lynchburg and Washington-Newport News is considered part of the NEC as well. Need to work those in if you want to be complete.

Rafi
I thought of that too, but then noticed that for his purpose, the OP had defined Northeast as North of Washington DC.
It is a valid point. I didnt originally consider NPN & Lynchburg as part of the NEC. I have been on the Crescent between Salisbury and DC, so I would only need the portion to Newport News.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back