How Many Points?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahZ

Quality Control
I can't brain today.

I want to go from Chicago to New Orleans, overnight in New Orleans, and then ride the Crescent from New Orleans to D.C, with a same-day connection to the CL to head back to Chicago.

Crossing the zone boundary twice and having an overnight connection (on my own dime, and it does not exceed 23:59) is tripping me up.

Please help me algebra this out.

Edited to add: I would be riding in a roomette the entire time. Told you I can't brain today.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a tough routing to get. The published route thing really trips you up.

CHI-NOL: 1 zone roomette, 15,000 points.

Paid ticket NOL-SDL to get you the trip through WAS home.

SDL-NOL: 2 zone roomette? It breaks the circle trip rule, but it's the only published route. That puts it in the *** zone. Probably 20,000 points.

You may have to extend the paid leg to ATL to satisfy the circle trip rule, but that's dumb.

NOL to WAS isn't a published route? Or do you mean NOL to CHI via WAS?

I might have to rethink this. I have five days to play with, and I want to spend as much time on the train as possible.

It showed up on Amtrak's site. That's how I came up with the idea.

Or am I misinterpreting something?

amtrak.png

I just called and talked to a rep. She said I can do the Crescent to WAS and then the CL to Chicago, but it will charge the two-zone reward twice (once for entering and once for exiting) due to the circle rule. Makes sense.

I'm 27 points shy. ;) I'll have to transfer some points from Brent's account to make this happen.

It didn't work for me when I tried NOL to KAL as a one-way trip, but it popped up when I used the round-trip option.

If they want to charge you for 2 Zones twice to reach CHI via WAS from SDL, consider this alternate: a Paid Coach ticket NOL-SDL/(you can probably use your roomette NOL-SDL since no one would be in it/ have breakfast once you're in SDL) then start your One Zone Award ( separate Rez from Kazoo-NOL which will also be 14,250 pts if you have the Chase AGR MC/5% rebate).from SDL-WAS on #20/ #30 WAS-TOL(Zone Border)/and the Ambus TOL-Detroit!! You could then head home from Detroit! Worth saving 14,250,Pts for a cheap Coach ticket and a short AMbus ride?????

Or ride Coach NOL- ATL ( low bucket hopefully) and start a different Two Zone Award (19,000 points)ATL-Was-CHI-kZoo!!!

You'll save 20,000 points by starting the second leg in Atlanta instead of NOL.

I'd recommend doing so. Just pay cash for that part of the trip...it'll almost certainly be cheaper than 20,000 points.
That's a good idea. I forgot that trip is entirely during the day. I can handle 12 hours in coach during the day. Thanks!

I'm also considering a round-trip from Chicago to Reno and back.

Basically, I have five days to play with, and I'm trying to go on a fun Amtrak vacation without spending more than $100. That's why doing it all with points and/or spending one night in an inexpensive hotel is optimal. :) (FWIW, the coach trip from NOL to ATL is $80, so that fits my criteria. Yay!)

If I do CHI-NOL-WAS-CHI, that will add two new states to my map (LA and MS).

If I do CHI-RNO-CHI, that adds three new states (NE, UT, and NV).

I guess it comes down to which route has the best scenery and best experience. The NOL/WAS trip gives me an overnight in NOL and a day in WAS. I've never been to NOL, and I've only driven through WAS.

The RNO trip gives me a day to play around in Reno and/or rent a car to check out some of the old mining towns, maybe even see Lake Tahoe.

I was all set to go to Boston and dork around in New England, but 448 is hosed. <_<

I'm doing WAS-NOL-CHI-CIN in December. I'm paying from WAS-NOL, then using a one-zone redemption to go from NOL-CIN. I would have preferred to pay from WAS-ATL, starting my redemption at ATL, but the only published route from ATL-CIN involves going north and connecting to the Cardinal at CVS.

That agent you talked to and said it's 40K is WRONG! It is only 1 two zone award! If necessary, ask for a supervisor!
I thought it counted as a circle trip, though.

"Circle trips are not permitted using a single redemption. A circle trip is a travel itinerary comprised of a series of segments that exit, and later re-enter, the same zone."

If I leave the Central zone, enter Eastern, and then re-enter Central, isn't that a circle?

Normally yes, but the only published route from SDL, BHM or ATL involves going to CVS or WAS to connect. Thus it does not count as a circle trip, and would be a 2 zone award.
Oh, that makes sense. I'll try that when I call tomorrow. Thanks!

I'm late to this thread and only skimmed through it, but I don't understand why they told you TWO 2-zone awards from NOL (or from north of NOL depending on what's published) to CHI. I'm starting in Anniston, Alabama, and going to WAS on the Crescent to catch the Cap to CHI, and that was one 2-zone award. (Central-eastern-central again but only ONE 2-zone award). I discussed this in another thread here not long ago. Coming back from CHI on the Card to CVS and then Crescent back to Anniston, AL and that was another 2-zone award (central-eastern-central again). I even asked the agent, "So it's OK to start in Anniston?" and was told yes. (I could have started in ATL, and was prepared to consider paying for Anniston to ATL but didn't have to.)

My brain is not its best this morning, either, so I may have misread something. But two 2-zones for one direction is NOT what I was told. Good luck with your trip! (Now to reread the thread and probably find my post makes no sense. LOL)

Edit: The thing that did not make sense when I was planning my trip is that Anniston to CHI via NOL is not allowed. That's not what I was trying to do so it didn't matter this time, but I still think that makes no sense. That would have been a 1-zone award but they don't allow it.

OK, I just reread the thread, and Traveler is correct. It's not a circle trip because it's the only routing they offer. As in my above post, I booked ATN (Anniston AL)-WAS-CHI as one 2-zone award just recently. Definitely ask for a supervisor.

I love New Orleans! Although of course it's full of "tourists" (like me!), the French Quarter is authentically historic with some beautiful architecture and ironwork. I much prefer Royal St. over Bourbon, but Bourbon must be seen at least once, too. Never had any bad food there, and it's available as fancy and pricey or not as anyone might wish. I love the little Gumbo Shop for gumbo (I'm a seafood gumbo addict) but there are lots of good restaurants and oyster houses. Lots of attractions as well if you have the time. The FQ is very walkable and easy to navigate with a simple map, and safe, especially the 3/4 of it toward the river and toward Canal St. The St. Charles streetcar is a lovely ride through the Garden District, which looks very different from the FQ. I could go on and on!

I'm not overly adventurous but I would very comfortably spend time there solo and never be bored. I've also had good experiences on the Crescent.

I'm so excited about your trip! :) (Don't let them charge you two 2-zone awards, though!)

I called and scheduled it from Slidell to Kalamazoo, and they counted it as one two-zone award. Thanks for the tip, guys!

The reason I couldn't book from NOL to KAL via WAS the same way is because the CONO is available for that leg. From Slidell, as Traveler said, the Crescent and CL are the only way to get back to Chicago.

So, I just have to pay a whopping $13 for the 50-ish minute trip from NOL to Slidell, and then I can switch to my roomette. :)

When I board, I might ask if I can get into my roomette right away. Do you think that would be allowed? If not, how do I switch from Coach to roomette mid-trip? Do I just walk through the cars, or do I have to detrain and then board at the sleepers?

I'm pretty excited. I've never been in a Viewliner. This is going to be awesome.

That IS going to be awesome! From what I've read here, sometimes they will let you go ahead and have your sleeper. I guess you just ask them?

I've never been in a Superliner (yet) so I can't compare the Viewliners to it. I like the Viewliners but they're all I know. They do have two windows. There are camps on both sides re the toilet in the roommette. They have a nice flat cover at least. Just pretend it's not a toilet when you're not using it. haha

I'm sure you've already thought of this because you know about things CHI-related, but the Cardinal is also an option on the days it runs. I'm taking the Cap (Superliner!!) one way and the Card (scenery) the other.

You'll get to see some of the historic above-ground cemeteries on your way out of NOL, and the ride across Lake P is nice, too. You don't go over the wide part but it's still pretty big (well, not compared to the Lakes that you know!!), but shallow. There are some old, old shacks out at the end of old piers that are cool (ala movie "King Creole" with Elvis), but Katrina about finished some of them off. The last time I crossed, there were still some remnants left. We had been told they aren't allowed to rebuild or repair them.

There are also some mini "White Cliffs of Dover" crossing a river somewhere in AL. When you go through Anniston, AL, and Temple, GA, think of me. My daughter and her family live in the middle of nowhere but have a Temple address. Their kids play ball at a ballpark next to the tracks in Bremen, GA, but there are trees. You will see lots and lots of trees!!

Check out the H unit if you get a chance. That's "our" suite. *sigh*

Did I mention the trees?

I am SOOOO ready to ride a train again!!!!!

Oh, not to throw a wrench in at this point, but there used to be something about the overnight in NOL being the only one that didn't end an AGR award. I don't recall for which train or whatever, whether that's still true, or any details. Might be just as well to leave well enough alone now...

Bon voyage!!

Back