How many staff/riders on train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pal2Pluto

Train Attendant
Hey, me again. So I'm becoming addicted to this board thanks to you! I was wondering how many attendants and how many passengers there normally are on the train. We are doing cross country in July. Harrisburg>>Chicago>>Denver>>Sacramento>>Portland (via EB)>>Chicago>>Harrisburg. And is it difficult to get seating in the observation lounge? For us, we hope to spend the day there on the long-distance sections to see the countryside and perhaps chat with other passengers/staff. Thanks again for your advice/input! :)

Please be observant when in the observation lounge of other passengers who may be looking for a seat. AKA, do not spend the whole day there as you may be taking away another's opportunity to sit in the lounge. I believe the unofficial time to spend is up to 2 hours in one "seating". And DO NOT leave items on your seat(s) to keep others from sitting there.

You won't have a Sightseer Lounge on the Cap Ltd between Pittsburgh and Chicago, but most of the trip is in the dark so it doesn't really matter, although this Train should have one so you're not a prisoner in your Room or Coach Seat.

As for Staff aboard your Trains,between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh, you'll only have a Conductor(s) and a Cafe attendant, on the Cap there will be a Sleeping Car attendant( SCA) in your Sleeper ( or a Coach Attendant if in Coach), a LSA to serve you Food and drink in the Diner/ Cafe ( called a Cross Country Cafe/ Combo Diner and Cafe-Lounge).

On the California Zepher ,Coast Starlight and Empire Builder ( between Portland and Spokand there is a Sightseer Lounge and you be served a Boxed Dinner/ the Diner is on the Seattle Section which joins the Portland Section in Spokane @ O Dark Thirty)you'll have a Real Diner, a Sightseer Lounge with the Cafe downstairs and either a SCA or Coach Atrendant .

All these Trains have Conductors and Engineers that change every few hours, the On Board Staff on the Long Distance Trains stay onboard for the whole route).

Please be observant when in the observation lounge of other passengers who may be looking for a seat. AKA, do not spend the whole day there as you may be taking away another's opportunity to sit in the lounge. I believe the unofficial time to spend is up to 2 hours in one "seating". And DO NOT leave items on your seat(s) to keep others from sitting there.

I'd certainly say that it's good to be observant of people around and learn how to read the room when one is being disruptive or using the lounge too long.

I came across a guy who apparently had a lot of common interests with another passenger. They chatted it up in the lounge, but then later in my coach car. With the lights dimmed. For 45 minutes while others were trying to sleep. Strangely enough nobody said anything to them, but I'm sure there were at least a dozen passengers who just wanted them to take the conversation elsewhere.

Last edited:
You won't have a Sightseer Lounge on the Cap Ltd between Pittsburgh and Chicago, but most of the trip is in the dark so it doesn't really matter, although this Train should have one so you're not a prisoner in your Room or Coach Seat.

Even without the SSL, you're not totally a prisoner in your seat or room, as coach passengers can sit in the lounge part of the Cross Country Cafe, and Sleeper passengers should be able to use the diner part as a "diner-lounge."

Even without the SSL, you're not totally a prisoner in your seat or room, as coach passengers can sit in the lounge part of the Cross Country Cafe, and Sleeper passengers should be able to use the diner part as a "diner-lounge."
Based on what I've seen and read, it depends on the Route and the Crew, ie typical Amtrak now days!

Back