How many stations have same code as the airport? (like LAX)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newark Airport? EWR
EWR and BWI are the stations for the airport, and neither BWI nor EWR are a city in and of themselves. EWR actually spans two cities, Newark and Elizabeth, though the EWR station I believe is wholly in Newark, though haven't checked recently.

Newark NJ has three stations located within its borders:

Newark Penn Station - NWK

Newark Broad Street Station - BNW

Newark Liberty International Airport - EWR

The first two of those codes pre-date Amtrak.
Well the question was stations that shares airport code with the airport.

Groan -- sorry - :unsure:

Actually don't know if the now LSE was LAX long ago, or was the CBQ station over on their then main line in La Crosse. Been trying to research it - but no good info from 50 years back. :blink:

Non train related: I've always wondered why the New England Patriots are considered a Boston team? They play in Foxboro, which is actually closer to Providence. Also, most of the teams fly into and stay in Providence.
For the same reason the Dolphins are a Miami team even though they play in Miami Gardens. The Dolphins and most away teams fly to/from FLL vice MIA. Boston and Miami are the biggest and most recognizable cities in their respective metropolitan areas hence the reason the teams are considered theirs. Same thing with the Bills, Cowboys, Jets, Giants, Redskins and starting in 2015 the 49ers.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also the category of stations that share a code with an unrelated major airport, like Pittsfield, MA (PIT; which is the airport code for Pittsburgh) or Framingham, MA (FRA; also used by the airport in Frankfurt).

Non train related: I've always wondered why the New England Patriots are considered a Boston team? They play in Foxboro, which is actually closer to Providence. Also, most of the teams fly into and stay in Providence.
For the same reason the Dolphins are a Miami team even though they play in Miami Gardens. The Dolphins and most away teams fly to/from FLL vice MIA. Boston and Miami are the biggest and most recognizable cities in their respective metropolitan areas hence the reason the teams are considered theirs. Same thing with the Bills, Cowboys, Jets, Giants, Redskins and starting in 2015 the 49ers.
When I visited South Florida, I figured out that the actual city of Miami is small, but there's tons of areas that use a "Miami, FL" address, including unincorporated areas and even some cities.

When I visited South Florida, I figured out that the actual city of Miami is small, but there's tons of areas that use a "Miami, FL" address, including unincorporated areas and even some cities.
Miami itself is geographically small but it has a population of over 410,000 within the city borders, making it one of the 50 largest cities in the country. You are absolutely right about unincorporated Dade county using Miami as their city address because Miami is by far the most recognizable city in Dade county. If you asked someone who had never been to Florida where Miami was they could probably tell you. If you asked that same person where Hialeah, El Portal, Kendall, Homestead, or Perrine were they would probably say they had no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting from a thread that started - Aug 22, 2013 !
All those common station codes - - -

My question which came first the chicken or the egg -OR- the Railroad code or the Airline code ? Who copied who ? LOL !

Still yet in checking your baggage luggage whatever beware of where the Amtrak Airline agent is checking it to !!!
With the airlines getting a mischecked bag back is probably a day at the most for Amtrak maybe next week ?

Amtrak stations codes are incidentally similar to Airline airport and/or city codes. They do not have any formal relationship. The three character airline codes are managed by IATA, and the Amtrak codes, well, are managed by Amtrak. Additionally there is a four character international code for airports and other locations administered by ICAO which is affiliated with the United Nations. You can get most of the ICAO codes from US location IATA codes by prepending a K on them e.g. EWR becomes KEWR etc.

Anyway, I won't repeat the entire screed on the subject that I wrote once upon a time many moons ago on another thread, and instead just point all to it:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/speaking-the-lingo.35196/page-4#post-373479

Last edited:
Mpstly Amtrak codes are same as Airport codes. Exceptions are cities that have 2 or more airports or airports that use the airport name instead of the city code.
Examples are CHI (ORD), Louisville (SDF), Nashville (BNA), New Orleans (MSY) but that uses NOL Amtrak.
The one wild card is San Antionio (SAS) the airport code is SAT. Would you guess that Amtrak SAT is Santa Maria California? SAT is not even a train stop just a thruway bus.
If Amtrak expands its route system significantly then Amtrak codes will really become confusing. Amtrak has what over 500 train station and many thruway codes already. Some time I will drag out an old timetable and count them.
EDIT. The one location with the most codes is probably San Francisco with 8 including the airport SFO.

A few I can think of off the top of my head:

MKE (that one's interesting...the downtown station matches the airport, but the airport station does not...the airport station is MKA.)

Even better (or worse) with Milwaukee is that in addition to the airport rail station the airport terminal itself is served by Amtrak Thruway Bus (MKB) as well, and you can buy a bus-only ticket from Amtrak. When I've used the automated voice-response system calling Amtrak requesting Milwaukee they always cycle me through the other two before offering the main Intermodal.

Amtrak's Milwaukee codes:

MKE - Milwaukee Downtown Intermodal Station
MKA - Milwaukee Airport Rail Station
MKB - Milwaukee Airport Terminal Busses

So if you want to get from the main MKE Intermodal Station to the MKE airport terminal, Amtrak will sell you a bus to MKB or a train to MKA + shuttle.

Regarding PVD for Providence RI Amtrak Station. The airport code PVD is for TF Green Airport which is actually located in Warwick south of Providence. It currently has its own commuter rail station served by MBTA under contract to Rhode Island, and may eventually become an Amtrak stop if and when a new platform is built. In that case it will need a new Amtrak code TFG maybe?

Interesting from a thread that started - Aug 22, 2013 !
All those common station codes - - -

My question which came first the chicken or the egg -OR- the Railroad code or the Airline code ? Who copied who ? LOL !

Still yet in checking your baggage luggage whatever beware of where the Amtrak Airline agent is checking it to !!!
With the airlines getting a mischecked bag back is probably a day at the most for Amtrak maybe next week ?
Ref chicken or the egg, my best recollection is when I worked for the C&O passenger agent in Williamsburg VA in the mid 1960's, there were NO 3-letter codes for the rails but definitely YES for the airlines. The codes for rails I think came with the invention of the ARROW system for Amtrak. Williamsburg, VA rail is now WBG, but airline code is PHF (I think named for Patrick Henry Field airbase which is the airport for Williamsburg-Newport News-Hampton, etc. VA). Back in the 60"s it was still all strip rail tickets and Pullman tickets--the rail 3-letter codes did not exist

One time when flying "Treetop Airlines" DAL to Clovis NM the agent guessed at the code and was going to write "CLO" which would have sent my bag to Cali, Colombia. :eek: Fortunately another agent gave him the correct code CVN.

Since we've resurrected an ancient thread, I thought I'd tackle this one. The New England Patriots were originally the Boston Patriots--a name that makes perfect historical sense. They played with that name for the 11 seasons that they played in Boston, at various stadiums. When they moved to Foxboro, they wanted to become the Bay State Patriots, but the NFL said no to that, and they went with New England, which was allowed. It appeals to their regional fan base.

Back