How Much Time Do I have at Denver US?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jake

I know #6 stop at Denver for 50 mins. I'd love to get off the train and look around the station.

Is there any coffee shops at the station or any stores that I could get a local new paper?

Jake

I'm not sure about now, but there used to be a gift shop at Union Station. But the last time I was there, it was gone.
sad.gif

But the CZ is (or will be soon) using a temporary station while Union Station is being remodeled!

Most important is ask your car attendant. Part of the answer will depend on whether the train is early, on time or late. If late, keep in mind it might cut its station visit short to help make up time.

But the last time I went eastbound on the CZ we arrived about an hour eary. So I had almost two hours to walk around the immediate downtown.

But do not count on that!!

Always keep your watch set on local time.

Last edited by a moderator:
My son and I our riding the CZ this December. We start out on the Cardinal in the DC area. We plan to walk and get plenty of exercise in Chicago - while changing trains, and also take a brisk walk and maybe a quick jog in Denver, just to get some physical activity. Then a long break in Sacramento allows for some more time to walk about the town, rail museum, etc... We catch the Coast Starlight at midnight.

But we certainly don't want to miss the train in Denver - while out walking/running. Maybe I'll walk back and forth from the engine to the rear, etc.... or in the nearby parking area, and plan to get back on with time to spare.

The key is to look at the schedule. If your train arrives before the scheduled departure time (which, if on time, it should), plan to be back on board at least 10 minutes prior to schedule.

If the train is running late, then anticipate the stop being pretty short.

There are no stores inside the station itself. You'd have to walk a block or two at least to get to a store. If the departure time is scheduled for 7:10 pm, and your watch says 6:55 pm, then it may not be a wise idea to go anywhere.

The station in Denver is a giant cavern; there's absolutely NOTHING inside other than vending machines and the ticket area (and many long, uncomfortable wooden benches). We arrived early on the #6 in October so we got off and wandered around....BORING. We stepped outside the front of the station for awhile, too, but there's not a whole lot nearby either as I recall. There is a newspaper machine outside the front of the station; we grabbed a Denver Post during our stop there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The station in Denver is a giant cavern; there's absolutely NOTHING inside other than vending machines and the ticket area (and many long, uncomfortable wooden benches). We arrived early on the #6 in October so we got off and wandered around....BORING. We stepped outside the front of the station for awhile, too, but there's not a whole lot nearby either as I recall.
For those who haven't been to Denver's Union Station, I couldn't let this post go without offering a different slant. True, there is no restaurant inside the station: it would be hard to justify one with 2 trains a day, plus many restaurants and bars within a block. I find the station very interesting, and depressing at the same time, because of the references to its glory days. One example are the logos above the ticket office area of all the former RR's arriving at the station. Also some pictures, one of the City of San Francisco and the California Zephyr getting ready to start the race to Chicago. But the most interesting are the signs at each of the doors in the underground passage announcing the departure of long gone trains like the Rocky Mountain Rocket, Prospector, and Chief Connection.

I wouldn't describe the station as a cavern, both because of the high ceiling and the fact those uncomfortable wooden benches usually fill up with people prior to 5 and 6's departure. Actually. I would describe the seating as pews, very similar to the Great Hall at CUS - uncomfortable compared to lazy boys; but not compared to any other transportation system waiting room seating.

BORING of course is in the eye of the beholder; but I've never heard anyone call the Lo-Do area of Denver boring. Maybe slightly less exciting than the areas around the London, Paris, Berlin, Vienna, Munich, Rome etc train stations, but certainly not boring compared to say East Moline.

A couple other comments:

Although I would never recommend anyone bank on it; but it seemed to me that the later #6 arrives in DEN, the longer it sits.

Another factor to consider is the distance from the train to the station, especially from the sleepers unless they have been moved to the rear of the train. The train backs in and stops quite a way from ramp which leads down to the underground passage, which leads up to the station. I've heard that this is because the fuel truck can't get any closer. I don't know what the temporary situation will bring.

It's safest to rely on the scheduled departure time. The train won't leave before that time. People get into trouble by assuming the layover time will stay constant. If it arrives late, still be ready to go at the regular time.

I couldn't let this post go without offering a different slant.
Thanks for the alternative view, it was very interesting. I have a Denver departure scheduled for later this winter but I understand that will likely be from a different "temporary" location. Can anyone comment on what the new station will be like or what would be around the area?

I know #6 stop at Denver for 50 mins. I'd love to get off the train and look around the station.

Is there any coffee shops at the station or any stores that I could get a local new paper?

Jake
If you stand in front of Union Station, you are looking up 15th Street. In the first block, right hand side, is the historic Oxford Hotel with a bar called the Cruise (as in ship) Room.

If you go over one block to 16th street, most of it is a pedestrian mall, good for walking, with a free shuttle running up and down it.

...BORING of course is in the eye of the beholder; but I've never heard anyone call the Lo-Do area of Denver boring. Maybe slightly less exciting than the areas around the London, Paris, Berlin, Vienna, Munich, Rome etc train stations, but certainly not boring compared to say East Moline...
If you would have read my post CLOSELY, you'll see that I did NOT call that area of Denver boring. I was referring to the station itself. And your insult of East Moline was uncalled for; Quincy's no bargain.

Jake
If you stand in front of Union Station, you are looking up 15th Street. In the first block, right hand side, is the historic Oxford Hotel with a bar called the Cruise (as in ship) Room.

If you go over one block to 16th street, most of it is a pedestrian mall, good for walking, with a free shuttle running up and down it.
That's 17th Street leaving station, not 15th. All else, correct.

...BORING of course is in the eye of the beholder; but I've never heard anyone call the Lo-Do area of Denver boring. Maybe slightly less exciting than the areas around the London, Paris, Berlin, Vienna, Munich, Rome etc train stations, but certainly not boring compared to say East Moline...
If you would have read my post CLOSELY, you'll see that I did NOT call that area of Denver boring. I was referring to the station itself. And your insult of East Moline was uncalled for; Quincy's no bargain.
You got me there. My apologies.

The place I enjoy in the LoDo Denver is the Tattered Cover Book Store at

1628 16th Street at Wynkoop in Denver, in the restored Morey Mercantile Building, directly across Wynkoop Street from the new EPA building next to Union Station just blocks from Coors Field. It is basically right across the street from the current Union Station and it will be a short walk from the Temporary Station. It is open until 9:00 PM Monday to Saturday and 6:00 PM on Sunday. It is one of the largest independent bookstores in the country. (As a disclaimer; I have never been to Powell's) Great coffee shop, free WiFi, and one of the largest magazine selections I have ever seen.

As a note the last time I was there I ran into a fellow railroader from Indiana who said to me "I won't tell any one you were here if you don't tell anyone you saw me here."

neither of us would appreciate if the word got out on the railroad that we can read.

mosking.gif
cool.gif
mda.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back