Amtrak's own hypothetical national track infrastructure discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two lines I wish Amtrak would acquire: between Staples Mill Road Station and Richmond Main St. Station (about 7 mi.), and between Main St. Station and Centralia, Virginia (around 11 mi.).

As long as I have been riding the Newport News trains (maybe 30 years), the trains have crept between Staples Mill Rd. and Main St. Station at about 25 or 30 mph. This stretch of railroad could be upgraded to 40, 50, maybe 60 mph. The line between Main St. Station and Centralia would be used by all Amtrak trains that go south from Staples Mill Rd., allowing them to serve Main St. Station too; the line needs upgrading to passenger standards.

A separate project would add a platform to the west side of Main St. Station, leading to the line to Centralia.

Although Virginia has been active in expanding passenger rail in the state, it seems to have been pondering what to do about these two lines for just about all of this century. It's been decades since Main St. Station reopened as a passenger station. Upgrading these two lines would allow the Florida trains, the Palmetto, the Carolinian, and (I think) the Norfolk trains to serve the city of Richmond and not just Staples Mill Rd. out in Henrico County.

The state's DC2RVA project, which was cleared with an FRA Record of Decision, is based on shifting all Amtrak trains (except Auto Train) to the S Line, via Main St. Station. Doing the significant upgrades that will be required may not be a top priority for them.

Back