How often do cars smell like sewer gas?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David K

We recently took the Zephyr from Chicago to California, and the car knocked us out every fifteen minutes with wiltering sewer gas. I know this is an occasional problem. For regular riders, is this a regular occurence? We would like to try again but if is a 50/50 deal, we're out. I'm willing to gamble if it's 10% or so. Thoughts? Experience?

Yes I've yet to have that problem - I certainly don't have the travel experience as the previous two responders but I've been on a number of trips over the past few years and have yet to run into this. Of course I can't vouch totally for my sense of smell.

Thanks everybody. Your experiences are appreciated. I kept running into the same posts when searching with google, so it didn't look super common. Otherwise there would have been hundreds showing up. That said, count your stars if you haven't had it. Have mercy! The scenery was a knockout though.

Thanks everybody. Your experiences are appreciated. I kept running into the same posts when searching with google, so it didn't look super common. Otherwise there would have been hundreds showing up. That said, count your stars if you haven't had it. Have mercy! The scenery was a knockout though.
It happens. The cars are old and the vacuum flush systems are persnickety. If a car with a problem is dispatched out of its terminal with a problem, there is pretty much zero chance of it getting fixed on the road.

A worse problem that a sewer smell is often a precursor to is a complete toilet failure in the car. Now that's fun!

It isn't 50/50. It is more like less than 10% or less other posters have alluded to. Just hope no one flushes paper towels, diapers or feminine products, which likely will disable all the toilets for the duration of the trip...

That smell was an issue on the EB departing Portland in October for us. Bad smell of toilets in the sleeper car but only by the bedrooms not the roommettes. Really bad right before the transition area to another car.

That smell was an issue on the EB departing Portland in October for us. Bad smell of toilets in the sleeper car but only by the bedrooms not the roommettes. Really bad right before the transition area to another car.
Yeah, the bedroom end is the "wet" end where all the plumbing is, as well as the black water retention tanks, which are over the trucks on that end. The smell issue has to get really bad before the roomettes on the "dry" end get it.

Just another amenity for getting a Bedroom!

An adjacent sleeper once on the Coast Starlight had this affliction, and I have caught whiffs of that smell in my own car. On another Coast Starlight from Seattle to Los Angeles, the toilets in our sleeper were inoperable for a few hours, but were fixed in either Emeryville or Oakland. I think there might be some ability to perform en-route maintenance in San Antonio, but can't think of other locations.

Yeah, the bedroom end is the "wet" end where all the plumbing is, as well as the black water retention tanks, which are over the trucks on that end. The smell issue has to get really bad before the roomettes on the "dry" end get it.

Just another amenity for getting a Bedroom!
Crazy. My wife was like "we are never getting a bedroom" and I was like " that's fine because we could never afford them!" (would need 2 with our kids).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back