How old must one be to work for Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak839

Lead Service Attendant
I'm 17, and like most 17 year olds, I am strapped for cash. I live less than an hour from DC, which as we all know, is Amtrak's national headquarters and home of Union Station and the fairly large Ivy City maintenance base. I've been considering contacting Amtrak Human Resources in D.C. for a while, but thought I'd check here first to see if anyone can provide me with some helpful information. I've heard that Amtrak won't hire people under 18, but I've also heard about cases where exceptions were made. And if they won't hire a 17 year old, do they offer summer internships? I'll be applying to college this fall and that would look good on an application. Any useful information you guys can can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

For the record I don't know the answer to your questions but here is what I do know. Most jobs require you to be 18, and many require you to be 21. Weather there are any exceptions, I don't know.

My opinion though, is that you seem to want to work there as a "summer" deal. Amtrak jobs are generally careers, not part time Summer jobs. Certainly anything to do with operations or on the train service is way out of the question.

I don't honestly think you meant it this way.. but the way you phrased your question (strapped for cash and want to work for Amtrak over the summer before applying for college) seems a little degrading to Amtrak employees. These are real, legitimate, good paying careers that require extensive training, unique talents, and are mostly full time positions. This includes maintenance, on board services, operations, station agents, etc.

Now on the other hand... if your planning on working in the railroad industry, your question takes a very different spin, even though I still don't think there are many, if any, options.

I can tell you from Personal Experience. To work for Amtrak it's 21. :angry: For ALL jobs. Try local commuter rail first. :) That way you have some experience to get into Amtrak. :) I applied to work as a Conductor on Septa's Regional Rail trains. :) Hoping it works out. Should find out with in 24 hours.

There are internships available in the major offices (well, DC and Chicago anyway). I don't know the specifics of how to apply, though. It likely depends on the specific area of interest you have (internships are generally related to your field of study or career goals, not just a part-time summer job). I don't know what colleges would use an internship as a criterion of whether or not to accept you, as generally, you get into college first, then get an internship.

Ironically, when I do a google search for "Amtrak Internship" the first three results are threads on this forum.

Also, as a word of advice to you and anyone else who is hoping to get a job with a particular company (whether it be Amtrak, a transit agency, or anyone else out there), do be careful in what jobs you apply for (that is, only apply for postings that you actually want and actually think you might be qualified for). In a former job, I had to go through applications that people submitted to work in my department (not Amtrak), and for some reason the application packet included a listing of every job that individual had *ever* applied for at the company.

There were some people who had literally applied for every job listed on the website, from janitor all the way up to some VP positions. We actually used that to filter applicants out, as it was obvious that they weren't really going for the job we were hiring, they were just desperate to get a job.

I'll echo what others have said in that you aren't going to get a position in maintenance or operations just as a kid out of high school looking for a summer job. If Amtrak is a company you want to work for longer term, find an area that really interests you (it doesn't hurt to study something of a related field when you go to college), then try and get the name of a manager that works in that department and ask him/her about the possibility of an internship.

There is no particular age limit beyond the Federal labor law. Amtrak takes college interns every year and there have been some as young as 16 (employees). If you don't mind working as a contractor/consultant, you can go even younger...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your replies, guys! I'll look into contacting Amtrak HR in DC. For those who asked, I'm not looking for a long term career at the moment, but I am planning on working in the railroad industry, so I'm looking for something right now to serve as a stepping stone to a long term career. I've already worked 3 summers as a volunteer intern at NARP in DC. That was mostly helping out with odd jobs, and I'm hoping to find something this summer that involves a bit more responsibility than boxing up news letters.

Last edited by a moderator:
... , I am strapped for cash.

... , do they offer summer internships?
I thought the last time I read about internships, they were all true internships (unpaid).

IMHO, call your local Congressman's office, and ask if they could help.

I got my first job with Amtrak as summer OBS staff, and ended up staying "on board" after school. I'd be surprised if the OBS crews had to be over 21, could have changed, but I was not 21 when I started as summer hire.

I got my first job with Amtrak as summer OBS staff, and ended up staying "on board" after school. I'd be surprised if the OBS crews had to be over 21, could have changed, but I was not 21 when I started as summer hire.
The applications I've read stated that due to alcohol service OBS employees needed to be 21. I also remember a coach attendant telling me he had to wait to start work till he turned 21. So it seems that is the current rule. Of course, there could be exceptions.

The applications I've read stated that due to alcohol service OBS employees needed to be 21. I also remember a coach attendant telling me he had to wait to start work till he turned 21. So it seems that is the current rule. Of course, there could be exceptions.
This is the reason why you need to be 21. You rotate throughout the train. Coach, Sleepers, Diners, and the Lounge cars. To serve liquor in some state the laws require a person to be 21. So Amtrak doesn't take a chance and makes sure persons that work are 21 years of age or older.

You do NOT need to be 21 for an internship, as they don't have interns handling alcohol in the office environment. And most Amtrak internships available on the jobs site these days are definitely paid.

You do NOT need to be 21 for an internship, as they don't have interns handling alcohol in the office environment. And most Amtrak internships available on the jobs site these days are definitely paid.
Thank you, sir, your posts have been most helpful :)

How old you have to be to work for Amtrak red cap baggage handler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back