How Small is Bedroom A on Superliners?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LinPhil

Train Attendant
I hear that Bedroom A is smaller, but it offers the advantage of being fully enclosed. How small is Bedroom A and is it that big? I called Amtrak and they said the partitions were 'locked', but last time I rode in a Refurbished Superliner I, the door was flinging around like crazy and opening up while we were trying to sleep. Also, we would have two adults and a child, is Bedroom A too small for that? Also, is the ride quality worse since its over the wheels? Does the door opening and closing bother you too much?
I seems like on the Superliner Is (Wood Design) there's no lock, but on the Superliner IIs and Viewliners, there's some sort of lock with a keyhole? Is this true or am I imagining?

Thanks

I hear that Bedroom A is smaller, but it offers the advantage of being fully enclosed. How small is Bedroom A and is it that big? I called Amtrak and they said the partitions were 'locked', but last time I rode in a Refurbished Superliner I, the door was flinging around like crazy and opening up while we were trying to sleep. Also, we would have two adults and a child, is Bedroom A too small for that? Also, is the ride quality worse since its over the wheels? Does the door opening and closing bother you too much?
I seems like on the Superliner Is (Wood Design) there's no lock, but on the Superliner IIs and Viewliners, there's some sort of lock with a keyhole? Is this true or am I imagining?

Thanks

My opinion: For 3 people, even if one was a child, Bedroom A would be more "cozy" than I'd prefer. As to ride quality, I never noticed any difference. Remember you are on the second level so not exactly directly over the wheels. A lock with a keyhole? Never have noticed that. The doors do have a mechanical type of lock within the Bedroom/Roomette that should hold the door closed. I am pretty sure that the doors are not able to be locked from outside the accommodation.

The keyhole lock I'm talking about is the one between the portions in the Bedrooms (E and D/C and B). From what I saw some of them required a key and others didn't?

"Lock" what? And what door was "flinging around like crazy"? The partition between bedrooms? It requires a special tool (LOL that I carry). The 2 of us always get 2 adjoining bedrooms and open that partition, 'cept at nite I close it. When alone (every other month) I specify "A" as it does not connect, so I don't hear the people next door talking or flushing!!! In "A" you go into the bathroom from the hall side vs the window side. It is a tad smaller, but more private. If the bathroom door rattles, I put a towel in it before closing.

"Lock" what? And what door was "flinging around like crazy"? The partition between bedrooms? It requires a special tool (LOL that I carry). The 2 of us always get 2 adjoining bedrooms and open that partition, 'cept at nite I close it. When alone (every other month) I specify "A" as it does not connect, so I don't hear the people next door talking or flushing!!! In "A" you go into the bathroom from the hall side vs the window side. It is a tad smaller, but more private. If the bathroom door rattles, I put a towel in it before closing.

Really? On my train we just thrust the door open ourselves and it started swinging open and closed all the time. Like you see in the photo, all you have to do is pull open the door. Kinda ruins the point of locking the room. bedroom3.jpg

When you book 2 adjoining rooms, they will usually open the door maybe before you board. Did you ask for them to Lock it shut after you boarded...or when you went to bed??? One reason I carry rubber door stops. If you don't want to interact with your traveling companions...just tell your attendant.

Generally, the sliding door between bedrooms is locked and should only be opened by an authorized member of the Amtrak crew. I have traveled in bedroom A and did not think it was too small for me (traveling by myself and I am fairly small). I think it may be tight for 3 people in bedroom A. In bedroom A, you have the advantage of not hearing the toilet flush in the neighboring room or dealing with a rattling sliding door.

We were in Bedroom A once and as Penny said, for one person it will be fine. But we are both larger people and would not want to do that again. Bathroom is a bit difficult to manipulate the doorway when beds are down. . Also if there is a wait line for the diner and you are in the 00 car, noise can be an issue in the hall

I chose Bedroom A for all three legs of a six-night, circle-west trip, but I was alone in the room. Just the fact that my wife likes her suitcase in the room would make A inconvenient for travel with her (cooler goes under chair, backpack goes on shelf). But being alone, I would find that I would hear the conversation next door in B, C, D or E because I'm not chatting myself. On the Portland section of the Empire Builder, Bedrooms were on the end (as usual), so my Room A was right next to the window at the end of the train, and nobody else came to look out it the entire trip. I got some great photos.

On the Portland section of the Empire Builder, Bedrooms were on the end (as usual), so my Room A was right next to the window at the end of the train, and nobody else came to look out it the entire trip. I got some great photos.

My Bedroom A was in the sleeper at the end of Desert Wind and had the same experience. Lots of interesting scenery after leaving Los Angeles and getting into the mountains and desert.

Back