How to get a good seat on Cascades

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacorbett70

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Found this forwarded by Twitter @cleancartalk and could be helpful for those taking the Cascades routes where seating is assigned at Portland and Seattle.

How to score the perfect Amtrak Cascades seat
- How to guarantee a personal power socket every time.

- How to get a seat by yourself.

- How to prop open those whooshing doors (push one of the red buttons near the top of the door frame until they’re either both lit or both off).
http://portlandafoot.org/2011/08/how-to-score-the-perfect-amtrak-cascades-seat/

Interesting. Though I once had an issue with a conductor on a power trip when he gave me a hard time for asking for a window seat on the water side from Vancouver to Seattle. I was first in line for bc too. Usually asking works. But the best way if you are a single traveler is to be at the front of the line.

The article suggest pushing the button to keep the door from opening an shutting as passengers pass through. I'm not sure this is the best thing to do unless the conductor says it is OK. While I don't perceive a safety issue, this might the AC or heating system in the car.

The article suggest pushing the button to keep the door from opening an shutting as passengers pass through. I'm not sure this is the best thing to do unless the conductor says it is OK. While I don't perceive a safety issue, this might the AC or heating system in the car.
Not to mention that it would be a case of a passenger deciding for him/herself that their personal desire to leave the door open

trumps the personal desires of everyone else in the car. I can see doing this if there's just a few people and you ask them all first.

That said, the "whooshing" of the doors can be a little irritating. But I don't find it too bad if the door is working properly. The problem

I've seen is that the doors on the Cascades often take it upon themselves to open/close even if no one is approaching. But in those

cases I've pointed this out to a conductor and they generally just "prop" it open...which is very different than me making a unilateral

decision to do it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back