How to get a window seat?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking the Empire Builder east from Portland, OR tomorrow and the California Zephyr west from Princeton, IL in a couple of weeks. I have tickets for the upper level, but is there a strategy for getting a window seat? How early does boarding start in Portland? Thanks!

I am taking the Empire Builder east from Portland, OR tomorrow and the California Zephyr west from Princeton, IL in a couple of weeks. I have tickets for the upper level, but is there a strategy for getting a window seat? How early does boarding start in Portland? Thanks!
They usually open the Builder for boarding about 30 minutes before departure at Portland. Conductors no longer assign seats upon check-in at Portland, IIRC. So just be there early and get towards the front of the coach check-in line.

Princeton is a short stop and scoot stop and they'll probably only open one door. You'll get the leftovers after those having boarded at Chicago and Naperville.

They usually open the Builder for boarding about 30 minutes before departure at Portland. Conductors no longer assign seats upon check-in at Portland, IIRC. So just be there early and get towards the front of the coach check-in line.

Princeton is a short stop and scoot stop and they'll probably only open one door. You'll get the leftovers after those having boarded at Chicago and Naperville.
Thanks for the info. I wondered about getting on at Princeton. It's really close to my family, but I'm wondering if I should try to switch my tickets to board in Chicago.

Even if the window seats are gone when you board, you should get an opportunity before long to move into one, as other passengers get off down line. Ask the Conductor or Attendant about that, on board…

This may be too late for you, but I've gotten on the CZ in Princeton several times and there are always plenty of open window seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back