How to Get Specific Consist Details?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In April, I will be traveling on five different trains, my trip comprising of seven segments (Crescent and SL twice). I have been interested in how some trip reports and other comments list the specific cars on a given train and date.

I want to document my circle trip for this forum in words and images. My question is, what is the best way to ascertain the specific consist details for each train I am on? Are they buried somewhere on the Amtrak website? Would my SLA know the details? Maybe the conductor? And if so, would they be amenable to giving me the details if I asked politely and explained my reason?

I’m not savvy enough to identify locomotive and various car types by myself, except for obvious things like Superliner vs. Viewliner. I would like to know more about, for example, the type of food service car, baggage car, etc.

Actually, if someone could provide me with a list of appropriate details to ask for, I’ll try to collect them all.

Or am I embarking on a quixotic mission? 😊

Thanks for any help.

Stretch your legs at a longer station stop and walk up to the front of the train and just write down the engine/car numbers along the way. Then cross-reference it to something like the on-track-on-line fleet list. Some train staff might be willing to get certain info for you, but they could be just as likely to look at you like you’ve got two heads and/or wonder why you’re asking such questions.

Stretch your legs at a longer station stop and walk up to the front of the train and just write down the engine/car numbers along the way. Then cross-reference it to something like the on-track-on-line fleet list. Some train staff might be willing to get certain info for you, but they could be just as likely to look at you like you’ve got two heads and/or wonder why you’re asking such questions.
Thanks! That might do it. I'm on the CZ, Cardinal, Crescent, SL, and CS. And for all except my first Crescent ride, I’ll be either boarding or de-boarding at the end of the line. So If I can’t get it done during a stop, I can do it in the station. The challenge will be the first Crescent, where I board at CVS in the evening and de-board at ATL in the morning.

Thanks! That might do it. I'm on the CZ, Cardinal, Crescent, SL, and CS. And for all except my first Crescent ride, I’ll be either boarding or de-boarding at the end of the line. So If I can’t get it done during a stop, I can do it in the station. The challenge will be the first Crescent, where I board at CVS in the evening and de-board at ATL in the morning.

For Charlottesville, just make note of the consist from the platform as the train pulls into the station.

For Charlottesville, just make note of the consist from the platform as the train pulls into the station.
Now why didn't I think of that???? :) Thanks again.

I won't even have to write the details down. I'll just dictate them into my phone while I'm videoing the arrival. I think I can also do this at EMY as well. I recall that they bring up the CZ just before boarding.

The Crescent probably sits in the Atlanta station for a while after it arrives.

The Crescent has a Viewliner baggage-dorm, usually 2 Viewliner I sleepers (but I've seen a Viewliner II), an Amfleet 2 cafe and 3 Amfleet 2 coaches. It doesn't really change.

The Cardinal doesn't change either two or three Amfleet II Coaches, an Amfleet I Cafe/Business Class, Amfleet II Cafe, Viewliner I Sleeper, and a Bag Dorm.

The Crescent probably sits in the Atlanta station for a while after it arrives.

The Crescent has a Viewliner baggage-dorm, usually 2 Viewliner I sleepers (but I've seen a Viewliner II), an Amfleet 2 cafe and 3 Amfleet 2 coaches. It doesn't really change.

There is one VL-I sleeper, 62043, painted in Phase III. That's probably what you saw. AFAIK, no VL-II sleepers have operated anywhere except the Silver Service.

The Cardinal doesn't change either two or three Amfleet II Coaches, an Amfleet I Cafe/Business Class, Amfleet II Cafe, Viewliner I Sleeper, and a Bag Dorm.

The Cardinal currently operates with two coaches, one Amfleet II Cafe, one VL-I sleeper and one VL-II bag/dorm car.

Coast Starlight consist as of last December (I doubt it's changed, who knows)

-Two locomotives (almost always P42's)
-Viewliner II Baggage car
-Superliner II Transdorm
-Two Superliner Sleepers (I or II)
-Superliner Diner
-Superliner Business Class car (I believe it's always a II)
-Superliner Sightseer Lounge
-Superliner coach
-Superliner coach/baggage

Coach and coach baggage might switch around sometimes, other than that, should be good.

Sunset Limited consist by looking at it this week on the Tuscon live camera, assuming my eyes served me correct.
-Two engines (almost always P42's)
-Superliner sleeper
-Superliner diner
-Superliner sightseer lounge
-Three superliner coaches (one or two probably a coach/baggage)
-Superliner sleeper

California Zephyr from what my memory serves me, can always look at the Galesburg live camera
-Viewliner II baggage car
-Superliner transdorm
-Superliner sleeper (They might be running with two now -- not sure)
-Superliner diner
-Two superliner coaches (one probably a coach/baggage)

For the Coast Starlight, you can check the Chehalis railcam.
For the Sunset Limited, you can check the Tuscon railcam
For the California Zephyr, you can check the Galesburg railcam.

All can be found free on Virtual Railfan's YouTube Channel. Or just look up "-insert city- railcam" and it should show up.

Coast Starlight consist as of last December (I doubt it's changed, who knows)

-Two locomotives (almost always P42's)
-Viewliner II Baggage car
-Superliner II Transdorm
-Two Superliner Sleepers (I or II)
-Superliner Diner
-Superliner Business Class car (I believe it's always a II)
-Superliner Sightseer Lounge
-Superliner coach
-Superliner coach/baggage

Coach and coach baggage might switch around sometimes, other than that, should be good.

Sunset Limited consist by looking at it this week on the Tuscon live camera, assuming my eyes served me correct.
-Superliner sleeper
-Superliner diner
-Three superliner coaches (one or two probably a coach/baggage)
-Superliner sleeper

California Zephyr from what my memory serves me, can always look at the Galesburg live camera
-Viewliner II baggage car
-Superliner transdorm
-Superliner sleeper (They might be running with two now -- not sure)
-Superliner diner
-Two superliner coaches (one probably a coach/baggage)

For the Coast Starlight, you can check the Chehalis railcam.
For the Sunset Limited, you can check the Tuscon railcam
For the California Zephyr, you can check the Galesburg railcam.

All can be found free on Virtual Railfan's YouTube Channel. Or just look up "-insert city- railcam" and it should show up.
Thanks very much. This is very helpful. I'm going to print it and use it as a checklist.

Back