How to get to Morgantown, WV

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtraknovi

Train Attendant
I'm coming from Oklahoma to see a game in Morgantown soon. Current plan is the eagle and cap limited to Pittsburgh and then rent a car. Any other ways to get there?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty much it.

Connellsville is a little closer, but I don't know the rental car situation there.

Cumberland is about the same distance as Pittsburgh, if you want a little more time on the train.

Either way, go Oklahoma (State?)!!!

Both Greyhound and Megabus have departures from Pittsburgh to Morgantown. A quick check shows Megabus being a shorter wait between the arrival of the Capitol Limited and the bus departure, but at the same price as Greyhound.

Both Greyhound and Megabus have departures from Pittsburgh to Morgantown. A quick check shows Megabus being a shorter wait between the arrival of the Capitol Limited and the bus departure, but at the same price as Greyhound.
Then I would prefer Greyhound's extra transfer time and better buses. LD trains aren't very timely. The Piitsburgh Amtrak and Greyhound stations are also right next to each other.

Back when Amtrak's SHENANDOAH (I think it was called) ran to Cincinnati, wasn't Morgantown a stop? Or there was another town not too far away that was a stop.

[i know that doesn't help the poster now.]

However, (again, no help to current poster) Clarksburg and Morgantown are still roughly 40 miles apart.

Personally, I'd opt for Cumberland, don't have to get off the train at O'Dark Thirty, and it's an EZ hop to Morgantown from Cumberland. 100% interstate, about 73 miles, or an hours drive once you are on the road. (I-68 in W.V. is 75 MPH most of the stretch)

Only unknown is the price differential of rental cars in Cumberland vs. PGH.

Mountain Line transit (busride.org) runs shuttles specifically for games at WVU (route #29) from Pittsburgh Greyhound located (I think) 1/10 of a mile from Pittsburgh Amtrak. The first bus leaves about 6:15, about 90 minutes after the Capitol Ltd is scheduled to arrive. That's a pretty good connection.

Personally, I'd opt for Cumberland, don't have to get off the train at O'Dark Thirty, and it's an EZ hop to Morgantown from Cumberland. 100% interstate, about 73 miles, or an hours drive once you are on the road. (I-68 in W.V. is 75 MPH most of the stretch)
Are you talking about how fast everyone drives on I-68 or what the actual speed limit is? The limit in WV is 70MPH, unless they have increased it recently.

Are you talking about how fast everyone drives on I-68 or what the actual speed limit is? The limit in WV is 70MPH, unless they have increased it recently.
Yeah, better not overspeed!

Mountain Line transit (busride.org) runs shuttles specifically for games at WVU (route #29) from Pittsburgh Greyhound located (I think) 1/10 of a mile from Pittsburgh Amtrak. The first bus leaves about 6:15, about 90 minutes after the Capitol Ltd is scheduled to arrive. That's a pretty good connection.
Sounds Great, will look into that as well as changing from PGH to Cumberland as suggested. The 435 arrival is obviously no fun. Oh and its the Oklahoma / WVU game.

Aq

However, (again, no help to current poster) Clarksburg and Morgantown are still roughly 40 miles apart.

Only unknown is the price differential of rental cars in Cumberland vs. PGH.
Thanks for the help. I just changed the reservation to CUM from PGH. Was really dreading the 4:00AM wake up knock from Service Attendent, and then hanging around the Pitt station for a few hours in the dark, half asleep before the car rental place opened (although the sugessted Mountain Line would have solved that) and we get an extra meal this way! Thanks for all the input.

Yeah, you've got a 7:00PM kickoff time, so unless the wheels come off the Cap, you will be MORE than alright time-wise. Maybe time for some train-watching in Cumberland, maybe even take a steam train in Frostburg, MD If you don't plan on tailgating all day:

Standard Excursion

Steam Engine

November 17, 2012 | Starts at 11:30 AM

purchase_tickets.png
More Info

You are probably correct Tom, I just remember it being 70-something, and setting the cruise-control at 79, so it must have a posted 70MPH

I think I'd prefer transferring in Cumberland, but only to enjoy time on the train. Wake up right at 6, get your shower, be packed and ready to go then enjoy breakfast in the diner as you watch the sun come up over the Allegheny and Appalachian mountains. The return would be all in the dark at this time of the year.

From a pure cost standpoint, I'd make the move in PGH. It's about $200 cheaper R/T on the train, and only a $50 R/T bus ride. But the time on the Capitol Ltd would be 100% in the dark from CHI to PGH and mostly dark going home (except for spending the whole morning in the industrial lake front).

But I like the Cumberland plan. BOOMER SOONERS!

Yeah, you've got a 7:00PM kickoff time, so unless the wheels come off the Cap, you will be MORE than alright time-wise. Maybe time for some train-watching in Cumberland, maybe even take a steam train in Frostburg, MD If you don't plan on tailgating all day:

Standard Excursion

Steam Engine

November 17, 2012 | Starts at 11:30 AM

purchase_tickets.png
More Info
that sounds pretty fun, worry about getting to game without much time to see campus though. Have you ever taken that train exscursion?

You are probably correct Tom, I just remember it being 70-something, and setting the cruise-control at 79, so it must have a posted 70MPH
Why would you set the Cruise Control at 79 when the speed limit is 70? Are you talking about Amtrak?

Why would you set the Cruise Control at 79 when the speed limit is 70? Are you talking about Amtrak?
Ugh. Really? Yes, Amtrak on Interstate Highway 68. "Everyone drives on I-68" must be referring to Amtrak. :)

Wait? What? Because I'm quite confident that I can "get away with" going over the speed limit by up to about nine miles and hour, without getting a visit from a statie.

I absolutely love BENDING the rules. I've only had one ticket for speeding. And I gladly paid it, with no fuss. I was going to fast, I got caught, pay the fine. Risk vs. Reward.

Since I was just on I-68 last weekend from Hancock to Morgantown I can attest that the speed limit is 70mph, but that most travel well over that limit. Of course there were scattered speed traps set by the Maryland and WVa state police that were effectively collecting revenue at various points :giggle:

In answer to another question, I have taken the Western Maryland Scenic RR trip and it is one of the best I have ridden. Would especially be nice with all the snow they have had the past few weeks. A nice trip up to Frostburg, where the engine is turned on their turntable while everyone observed the process. Nice little villages along the way and great mountain scenery. Time for a quick meal and shopping in Frostburg before returning to Cumberland.

But you would be cutting your time to get to a WVU football game if the trip were delayed for any reason. :eek:

Also if you are in to antiques and old memorabilia, there is a great antique shop at Brewston Mills, WVa along I-68 that is a great place to stop.

Wait? What? Because I'm quite confident that I can "get away with" going over the speed limit by up to about nine miles and hour, without getting a visit from a statie.

I absolutely love BENDING the rules. I've only had one ticket for speeding. And I gladly paid it, with no fuss. I was going to fast, I got caught, pay the fine. Risk vs. Reward.
But, there is a REASON why the speed limits are set at 70 mph. That was the maximum speed the road was designed to facilitate. It has been shown that if you go too fast, you're much more likely to get killed.

I believe a WOW is in order. Here in Southern California, where the speed limits are between 55 and 70, and 65 in my area, I am used to the SLOW lane going 70, and the fast between 80 and 85, provided we don't have any SoCal traffic. San Diegans are notoriously fast, and it is actually quite frustrating when driving in the Bay Area, where ALL drivers absolutely refuse to hit more than 60. I would say that if you're taught properly and have your full and unimpaired attention on the road, going even 80 is perfectly reasonable if not normal. That is the culture I have been brought up in. As far as Swadian's post specifically goes, not only are we DEFINITELY talking about Amtrak, trains travel down the middle of the 68.

I believe a WOW is in order. Here in Southern California, where the speed limits are between 55 and 70, and 65 in my area, I am used to the SLOW lane going 70, and the fast between 80 and 85, provided we don't have any SoCal traffic. San Diegans are notoriously fast, and it is actually quite frustrating when driving in the Bay Area, where ALL drivers absolutely refuse to hit more than 60. I would say that if you're taught properly and have your full and unimpaired attention on the road, going even 80 is perfectly reasonable if not normal. That is the culture I have been brought up in. As far as Swadian's post specifically goes, not only are we DEFINITELY talking about Amtrak, trains travel down the middle of the 68.
Ha, I knew somebody would make a pport like this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back