How to transfer at Chicago Union Station; traveling with firearm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First time rider here.
I will be boarding Lake Shore 49 in Toledo and looks like I will then transfer to Empire Builder 27.
What do I need to do for this?
Do I need to get my bags from one train to the other or will they be transferred for me?
What else do I need to know?

Also, I will be taking a firearm and it will be packed away in a case in my checked bag.
I looked at: Firearms in Checked Baggage on Amtrak Trains
and was just wondering what else I need to know?

Thanks!!

Get there extra early. The checked bags get transferred. I'm assuming that the destination station is a checked bag station with a ticket office, so as to comply with the firearms stuff. If you are in a sleeper on 49 or 27 (or both) you have use of the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago to wait.

Baggage must checked at least 45 minutes before departure. That is enforced as a hard cutoff at many stations.

Checked bags will transferred between trains for you.

You must manage carry on bags yourself.

Both the origin and destination stations must offer checked baggage service to be able to check it. Firearms can only be taken as checked baggage, so both stations have to have baggage service.

You did not indicate the final checked baggage station but since you are on train 27 (Spokane split)
presume that your destination is Portland with checked baggage - OK.
The LS 49 arrives on the south side of Union Station (track unknown - readers help) Train 7/27 will
most invariably leave from track 19 the closest to the Chicago river on the north side of Union Station.
In between the south and north sides you will find Metropolitan Lounge (sleeper passengers) and time permitting.
Food and gift shops next level up - one more level to street level - - -

Thanks for the feedback. My route is to board in Toledo Ohio on train 49, then in Chicago I board train 27 to Shelby Montana. I will have my firearms in hard cases locked and in my checked bag. (hopefully that helps) My train in Toledo Ohio leaves at 6am and I plan on arriving at around 3-4am. I am in coach seating.

Destination - Shelby Montana.

Check Station - "destination station is a checked bag station with a ticket office". I am unclear what this means? For me to take my firearms in my checked bag, are you saying that the station in Shelby Montana needs something that it might not have?

My train ride back are the same stops (Shelby MT to Chicago to Toledo Ohio) with obviously different train numbers. Does that change anything for my way home?

Thanks!!

Just maybe the checked luggage with firearm inside has to be claimed in person with matching claim check !
For that to happen then an Amtrak agent must be able to verify this.
Just a thought !

Amtrak says, about their station for Shelby, Montana:
  • Amtrak Express shipping not available
  • Checked baggage service available
  • No checked baggage storage
  • Bike boxes not available
    The number of bike boxes available in the station is limited. For assistance, call us at 1-800-USA-RAIL.
  • No baggage carts
  • Ski bags not available
  • No bag storage
    Baggage storage is an area where passengers may store their bags, equivalent to "left luggage" in Europe. A storage fee may apply.
  • Shipping boxes not available
  • Baggage assistance provided by {baggageAssistanceProvider}
So there shouldn't be any issue there with getting the bags that you have checked.

Firearm Check In - It says,

Notification that the passenger will be checking firearms/ammunition must be made no later than 24 hours before train departure by calling Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL

My trip is on June 3rd, so I called today May 16th to let them know, but the lady said I needed to call back the day before I leave on June 2nd to let them know. Does this sound correct? It says no later then 24 hours, so I figured now or in the next 2 weeks they need to be notified. I hate waiting till the day before.

Also, I have my guns in locked hard cases, which includes the clips. She said that the ammo needs to be in a ammo case. Do I have to pack the ammo/clips in a separate case?

...and guns are unloaded. :)

I am not that familiar with firearms. But IMHO the statement that ammo must be in an ammo case must mean that it is in a case that is fireproof and that would prevent the ammo from firing if there was a fire. I am thinking that if you have a gun case and can store ammo in the gun case then that would also be designed to prevent the ammo from discharging in the event of a fire.

It obviously would be highly unlikely that a fire would occur, but I think airlines also have similar provisions.

Good luck. I hope this was helpful.

(based on one of my other posts)

Per Amtrack, "Notification that the passenger will be checking firearms/ammunition must be made no later than 24 hours before train departure by calling Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL."

I called Amtrack a couple weeks ago and the lady I think was confused, because she said that I needed to call the day before I left to make the notification. I told her that it says no later then 24 hours, but she said it had to be the day before. I figured I'd call back and talk to someone else. I leave in about a week, so I called back and this time the lady went through all the details about how many guns, ammo, etc. Then she said that there isn't any room. I was like huh?! there is no room for my checked bag. She seemed a little confused when I asked follow-up questions to clarify. Then she said I could try calling back again and see if anything opens up since people cancel all the time, but it seemed like she wasn't sure and really just wanted me to talk to someone else. (I little annoyed that the if they would have taken my info weeks ago, this might not have happened)

Question: I heard checked bags with firearms go in a separate checked area, so is that what she is talking about? The area where checked bags with firearms go is full??

...My trip is on June 3rd, so I called today May 16th to let them know, but the lady said I needed to call back the day before I leave on June 2nd to let them know. Does this sound correct? It says no later then 24 hours, so I figured now or in the next 2 weeks they need to be notified. I hate waiting till the day before....
"No later than 24 hours" to me means between 0-24 hours before departure.

Enjoy your trip and welcome to Amtrak Unlimited!

I believe Amtrak trains have a special locker that firearms will be locked into (within your locked case). If the locker is full, then no more firearms are allowed on the train.

peter

Trackwalker - "No later than 24 hours" to me means between 0-24 hours before departure." If someone says I need your rsvp no later then this Friday for a Saturday party, then I need to let them know by or before that Friday for the Saturday party. (Is how i am seeing it)

If it is 0-24 hour then how could it be full already since it doesn't depart for another week?

Trackwalker - "No later than 24 hours" to me means between 0-24 hours before departure." If someone says I need your rsvp no later then this Friday for a Saturday party, then I need to let them know by or before that Friday for the Saturday party. (Is how i am seeing it)

If it is 0-24 hour then how could it be full already since it doesn't depart for another week?
Call back. A lot of Amtrak agents can be pretty clueless about anything besides fares and tickets. And your description of the call sure makes it sound like the agent was out of her depth.

While it's true that there is locker for firearms and when it's full, it's full, I wouldn't take that answer just yet. One of the issues that could be confusing to the agent is you are booked on 7/27. Believe it or not it's quite possible a given agent may not be aware that that they are physically the same train between Chicago and Spokane (beyond Shelby). 27's official baggage car is a coach/bag, while 7 has the full baggage. The actual practice on the ground is 7's baggage car carries all the bags for points between Chicago and Spokane regardless of whether the passenger is ticketed on 7 or 27. You may need to drill down on whether it's the firearms locker on 7 or 27 that's "full". While I don't know, it's conceivable that the firearms locker on 27's coach/bag may be blocked by being shown as full between Chicago and Spokane because they don't work bags on that car between those points, they work 7's. It may that your weapon has to booked against 7's firearms limit rather than 27's, despite your being officially ticketed on 27. You should also drill down on whether 49's is the one that's full.

If you are an AGR member, call the AGR line. AGR is usually staffed with more experienced agents.

For what it's worth, I agree with your interpretation of no later than 24 hours. To me that means if you call later than 24 hours before departure you'd be out of luck. Fortunately, you still have time to work through it, but it might take more than one more call.

Last edited:
According to Amtrak;
Amtrak accepts reservations of firearms and ammunition for carriage between Amtrak stations and on Amtrak trains within the United States that offer checked baggage service and a ticket office. Thruway Bus Services are not be included in this service. The following policies are in effect:

• Notification that the passenger will be checking firearms/ammunition must be made no later than 24 hours before train departure by calling Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL. Online reservations for firearms/ammunition are not accepted.
  • The passengers must travel on the same train that is transporting the checked firearms and/or ammunition.
  • All firearms and/or ammunition must be checked at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled train departure. Some larger stations require that baggage be checked earlier. Please contact your departure station for more details.
  • All firearms (rifles, shotguns, handguns, taser guns, starter pistols) must be unloaded and in an approved, locked hard-sided container not exceeding 62" L x 17" W x 7" D (1575 mm x 432 mm x 178 mm). The passenger must have sole possession of the key or the combination for the lock to the container. The weight of the container may not exceed 50 lbs/23 kg.
  • Smaller locked, hard-sided containers containing smaller unloaded firearms such as handguns, taser guns and starter pistols must be securely stored within a suitcase or other item of checked baggage, but the existence of such a firearm must be declared.
  • All ammunition carried must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's container; in fiber, wood, or metal boxes; or in other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. The maximum weight of all ammunition and containers may not exceed 11 lbs/5 kg.
  • The passenger is responsible for knowing and following all federal, state, and local firearm laws at all jurisdictions to and through which he or she will be travelling.
  • All other Amtrak checked baggage policies apply, including limits on the number of pieces of checked baggage, the maximum weight of each piece (50 lbs/23 kg).
  • Firearms/ammunition may not be carried in carry-on baggage; therefore, checked baggage must be available on all trains and at all stations in the passenger's itinerary.
  • At the time of check-in, passengers will be required to complete and sign a two-part Declaration Form.
  • BB guns and Compressed Air Guns (to include paintball markers), are to be treated as firearms and must comply with the above firearms policy. Canisters, tanks, or other devices containing propellants must be emptied prior to checking and securely packaged within the contents of the passenger's luggage.
Passengers failing to meet the above-mentioned requirements for checking firearms will be denied transportation.

To inquire about or begin the firearms reservation process, use the Contact Us page and select "Checked Firearms Program" as the subject and follow guidance.

(based on one of my other posts)

Per Amtrack, "Notification that the passenger will be checking firearms/ammunition must be made no later than 24 hours before train departure by calling Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL."

I called Amtrack a couple weeks ago and the lady I think was confused, because she said that I needed to call the day before I left to make the notification. I told her that it says no later then 24 hours, but she said it had to be the day before. I figured I'd call back and talk to someone else. I leave in about a week, so I called back and this time the lady went through all the details about how many guns, ammo, etc. Then she said that there isn't any room. I was like huh?! there is no room for my checked bag. She seemed a little confused when I asked follow-up questions to clarify. Then she said I could try calling back again and see if anything opens up since people cancel all the time, but it seemed like she wasn't sure and really just wanted me to talk to someone else. (I little annoyed that the if they would have taken my info weeks ago, this might not have happened)

Question: I heard checked bags with firearms go in a separate checked area, so is that what she is talking about? The area where checked bags with firearms go is full??
The baggage car has a heavy safe-like secure locker for sensitive items such as firearms. While a finite space, it is large enough to handle quite a few items.
Amtrak closed the Chicago Res Office back in the nineties, then the Riverside, CA res office leaving only the Philadelphia Center. The person to at the 800 number may well NOT be an Amtrak employee. Keep in mind that Amtrak (note correct spelling) has contracted out much of its reservations "service" to non-Amtrak personnel, many of whom are not at all familiar with passenger trains, especially long-distance trains.
From your "conversation", I would conclude the res agent was speaking about something different from your question.

"No later" means 24 hours or more, not zero to 24 hours.

3rd try on the 800 number - Guy was very nice and went and got a supervisor because he said the it was weird that it kept coming back with an error that Shelby Station Checked luggage was closed or not accepting any check in's. Sounded a little strange but I think he was referring to the "special area" for firearm baggage.

I called the Rewards 800 number and talked to a lady there and at first she said that it was coming up with an error and maybe it was because I was taking 2 firearms. After getting her supervisor and talking with them, she said that Shelby was not accepting offers for firearm check in. She wasn't sure what that meant so she couldn't expand on it.

I think at this point, I have to throw the towel in and not take them on my trip this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back