HSR vs Express train travel ~ A Tale of Two Train Journeys

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
Have to make this clear from the start, this is a subjective comparison of two very different rail journeys. One a top class 4 hour Japanese Shinkansen ride from Tokyo to Hiroshima, Japan, the other a 36 hour older express train from Saigon to Hanoi, Vietnam.

Both in coach, both AC and both the top of their type for their country.

It is subjective as many ride the rails for the technical experience, then many ride the rails for the complete experience with less emphasis on the technical. Some just want to get from A to B without flying, or due to environment reasons.
I'm in the second camp even having had a technical working life, scenery and people feature more and more in my appreciation of rail travel, so there is a bias to this opinion piece.

First, HSR journeys are starting to lose their excitement for me having taken maybe 10 or 12. We chose the top option of Green class for our first Japanese Bullet train ride, it was all very civilised and worked like a dream. At a guess about 50/50 private and business travellers. It was a great example of moving from A to B without effort or drama, at high speed too. But I found the interior characterless, the effortless high speed movement slightly without interest. If it had been our first HSR journey then it would have been exciting and riveting, but that disappeared after about the 3rd HSR journey taken, maybe because that one was even smoother than the Shinkansen.
Does this beat flying? For me by miles as it is so simple and convenient, and in many cases city centre to city centre probably similar in time taken to fly but without the aggravation of airports.
My view HSR is ideally suited to people who travel for business or are in a real hurry, a fast rail people mover.

Two views of the train type we used. The exterior looks fabulous.

SA172108a.jpg

The train we boarded

SA094223a.jpg

Interior of Green class. High backs to the comfortable seats, creates a sort of cubicle effect

SA100542a.jpg

The Vietnamese express train was quite worn, the first thing we needed to know was 'were they comfortable' as we'll be sitting there for 36 hours. Yes, in the same way as older Amtrak coach seats are.

The car was full most of the time, it was a proper commuter train with seats being vacated and others boarding to fill most of them immediately.
The Vietnamese appear to be more talkative than the Japanese, there was always a burble of conversation during daylight. About 8 hours into the journey a cockerel boarded too, he occasionally joined in with his announcements.

About mid afternoon of the first day a debating society started in the centre of the car when a serious man with a loud voice boarded and started speaking to those around him, others joined in until about a dozen where in conversation on a regular basis, and others when some form of important point was made. Sometimes it turned humorous, then even more joined in.
There were us and another alternating 2-4 non Vietnamese in this car, we were treated in a friendly manner, often offered something to eat We came equipped and had enough of our own supplies to offer around too. Lots of smiles all round but close to no understanding as we speak about zero Vietnamese, most locals two to three words of English, but we all seemed to get along.

The ride was the opposite to the Bullet train, rock and roll sometimes violently, sometimes it was smooth for long stretches. I don't know the origin or age of the cars, I will post a photo or two when I find them.

The car attendant was visible the whole journey, I even saw him unblocking a sink at a station stop, dedication to his job and passengers. In the main the bathroom area was acceptable, not pristine.

Here's a photo of our car before we left Ho Chi Minh (Saigon), starting to fill.

SA062700a.jpg

By the evening of the first day people had settled into a routine, in a strange way everyone was included even if they didn't speak, just watched. The second day was even more relaxed, some started to leave the train but others boarded and seemed to fill the debating gaps, and not always the ones we guessed would. There was a woman passenger who often challenged the main debater, she was a powerful speaker indeed.

The cars allow people to be more sociable than the Shinkansen, whether that's a good or bad thing is for each to decide, but you will understand we preferred that atmosphere. Some of the scenery was superb, some was dull. Technically this train can't hold a candle to the Shinkansen trains, but it has other attributes which were superior. There is an onboard dinning car with real chefs preparing food mainly for the very regular food carts that came through, it was also possible to sit in the dining car to eat but the number of seats is limited dues to such a large kitchen.

Would this suit the business user I don't think so, is it better than the LD buses, probably. Is it better or worse than the Shinkansen trains, that depends on your needs, but for us these original style trains are hard to beat, so much life is played out in the open and friendships are fairly easily made as you are in each others company for quite a while.

Exterior of our car nearest to the camera, it looks different to the one behind, perhaps older?

SA120807a.jpg

Our heroic car attendant

SA115512a.jpg

What's your preference?

Last edited:
Have to make this clear from the start, this is a subjective comparison of two very different rail journeys. One a top class 4 hour Japanese Shinkansen ride from Tokyo to Hiroshima, Japan, the other a 36 hour older express train from Saigon to Hanoi, Vietnam.

Both in coach, both AC and both the top of their type for their country.

It is subjective as many ride the rails for the technical experience, then many ride the rails for the complete experience with less emphasis on the technical. Some just want to get from A to B without flying, or due to environment reasons.
I'm in the second camp even having had a technical working life, scenery and people feature more and more in my appreciation of rail travel, so there is a bias to this opinion piece.

First, HSR journeys are starting to lose their excitement for me having taken maybe 10 or 12. We chose the top option of Green class for our first Japanese Bullet train ride, it was all very civilised and worked like a dream. At a guess about 50/50 private and business travellers. It was a great example of moving from A to B without effort or drama, at high speed too. But I found the interior characterless, the effortless high speed movement slightly without interest. If it had been our first HSR journey then it would have been exciting and riveting, but that disappeared after about the 3rd HSR journey taken, maybe because that one was even smoother than the Shinkansen.
Does this beat flying? For me by miles as it is so simple and convenient, and in many cases city centre to city centre probably similar in time taken to fly but without the aggravation of airports.
My view HSR is ideally suited to people who travel for business or are in a real hurry, a fast rail people mover.

Two views of the train type we used. The exterior looks fabulous.

View attachment 31442

The train we boarded

View attachment 31443

Interior of Green class. High backs to the comfortable seats, creates a sort of cubicle effect

View attachment 31444

The Vietnamese express train was quite worn, the first thing we needed to know was 'were they comfortable' as we'll be sitting there for 36 hours. Yes, in the same way as older Amtrak coach seats are.

The car was full most of the time, it was a proper commuter train with seats being vacated and others boarding to fill most of them immediately.
The Vietnamese appear to be more talkative than the Japanese, there was always a burble of conversation during daylight. About 8 hours into the journey a cockerel boarded too, he occasionally joined in with his announcements.

About mid afternoon of the first day a debating society started in the centre of the car when a serious man with a loud voice boarded and started speaking to those around him, others joined in until about a dozen where in conversation on a regular basis, and others when some form of important point was made. Sometimes it turned humorous, then even more joined in.
There were us and another alternating 2-4 non Vietnamese in this car, we were treated in a friendly manner, often offered something to eat We came equipped and had enough of our own supplies to offer around too. Lots of smiles all round but close to no understanding as we speak about zero Vietnamese, most locals two to three words of English, but we all seemed to get along.

The ride was the opposite to the Bullet train, rock and roll sometimes violently, sometimes it was smooth for long stretches. I don't know the origin or age of the cars, I will post a photo or two when I find them.

The car attendant was visible the whole journey, I even saw him unblocking a sink at a station stop, dedication to his job and passengers. In the main the bathroom area was acceptable, not pristine.

Here's a photo of our car before we left Ho Chi Minh (Saigon), starting to fill.

View attachment 31446

By the evening of the first day people had settled into a routine, in a strange way everyone was included even if they didn't speak, just watched. The second day was even more relaxed, some started to leave the train but others boarded and seemed to fill the debating gaps, and not always the ones we guessed would. There was a woman passenger who often challenged the main debater, she was a powerful speaker indeed.

The cars allow people to be more sociable than the Shinkansen, whether that's a good or bad thing is for each to decide, but you will understand we preferred that atmosphere. Some of the scenery was superb, some was dull. Technically this train can't hold a candle to the Shinkansen trains, but it has other attributes which were superior. There is an onboard dinning car with real chefs preparing food mainly for the very regular food carts that came through, it was also possible to sit in the dining car to eat but the number of seats is limited dues to such a large kitchen.

Would this suit the business user I don't think so, is it better than the LD buses, probably. Is it better or worse than the Shinkansen trains, that depends on your needs, but for us these original style trains are hard to beat, so much life is played out in the open and friendships are fairly easily made as you are in each others company for quite a while.

Exterior of our car nearest to the camera, it looks different to the one behind, perhaps older?

View attachment 31447

Our heroic car attendant

View attachment 31448

What's your preference?
I'd take the Classic Vietnamese Train Jamie!

And since yall live in France, we're yall able to Communicate in French with any of the Vietnamese, or has that disappeared since it's been do long since the French left???

I'd take the Classic Vietnamese Train Jamie!

And since yall live in France, we're yall able to Communicate in French with any of the Vietnamese, or has that disappeared since it's been do long since the French left???

No Jim, we didn't come across hardly any French speakers at all. What they do appear to treasure from the French period is the extensive French infrastructure in respect of the Colonial? buildings which there are thousands and thousands. Also some of the new build in the cities is mimicking French architecture of the past too.

In some areas we felt quite at home, it felt more French than France at times. Some of the public buildings were quite magnificent especially in Ho Chi Minh City. In the north a lot more Chinese influence around the place, not surprising when you think the Chinese Border is only about 100 miles from Hanoi.

We're going to miss you next week, still time to head on down.

Last edited:
What's your preference?
Both. ;) Just like people fly sometimes and drive other times depending on the trip and how much time they can spare, I'd like to have the options of:

a sleek electric train running hourly or better at triple-digit speeds when I want to get somewhere in a relative hurry, without the pollution & carbon footprint of flying, without the hassles of airports, and not stuck in ny seat but able to stretch my legs or grab a drink, snack, or meal,

AND

a still fast-ish train with sleeper cars and a real diner, to see the world going by when I'm not in a hurry.

When I've had the time, I've taken (and enjoyed) long journeys between Chicago and Emeryville, New Orleans, Washington DC, and NYC. But I'd also like the option within my *working* lifetime (20 years give or take) to travel to NYC in one night, getting on in the evening and arriving in the morning, when I don't have the time to spare from work for a schedule like the Lake Shore Ltd. And while I've often taken the existing Midwest corridor trains as I don't like driving long distances, I would like to be able to go to cities like Detroit, Minneapolis, and St. Louis in a couple of hours instead of five or more and with hourly service instead of a handful of trains at best.

What's your preference?

Having never taken a high-speed line, the high-speed option in Japan sounds a bit more enjoyable to me. The train ride can be part of the trip, without feeling like it's taking up a large chunk of the trip.

That said, the Vietnamese train journey also looks very interesting and could be a trip in its own right! Definitely enjoyable aspects to that, and makes sense why you quite enjoyed it.

Both. ;) Just like people fly sometimes and drive other times depending on the trip and how much time they can spare, I'd like to have the options of:

a sleek electric train running hourly or better at triple-digit speeds when I want to get somewhere in a relative hurry, without the pollution & carbon footprint of flying, without the hassles of airports, and not stuck in ny seat but able to stretch my legs or grab a drink, snack, or meal,

AND

a still fast-ish train with sleeper cars and a real diner, to see the world going by when I'm not in a hurry.

When I've had the time, I've taken (and enjoyed) long journeys between Chicago and Emeryville, New Orleans, Washington DC, and NYC. But I'd also like the option within my *working* lifetime (20 years give or take) to travel to NYC in one night, getting on in the evening and arriving in the morning, when I don't have the time to spare from work for a schedule like the Lake Shore Ltd. And while I've often taken the existing Midwest corridor trains as I don't like driving long distances, I would like to be able to go to cities like Detroit, Minneapolis, and St. Louis in a couple of hours instead of five or more and with hourly service instead of a handful of trains at best.

That's a great post John and makes complete sense if you are working. I think most people would totally agree with you on more/better options on rail.

My viewpoint was comparing two leisure trips and what to me/us were the advantages and disadvantages in that context.
That HSR does all it's supposed to do and does it well is in no doubt, whether when compared with a slower more characterful and interesting express train it stands up is another question.

I see HSR now as a work tool unless the next generation of equipment is radically different to this one I would use them for leisure only if they were the only or best option.

I think you make an excellent case for HSR to get properly started in the US, there would be so many users once people had the opportunity to choose to fly or train.

Last edited:
Both Vietnam and Japan are roughly in my neighbourhood - certainly close to our own timezone. I'm definitely keen to get aboard Vietnam's Reunification Express, but I'm totally unfussed about whether I get a ride on the Japanese superspeed ones.

Having never taken a high-speed line, the high-speed option in Japan sounds a bit more enjoyable to me. The train ride can be part of the trip, without feeling like it's taking up a large chunk of the trip.

That said, the Vietnamese train journey also looks very interesting and could be a trip in its own right! Definitely enjoyable aspects to that, and makes sense why you quite enjoyed it.

Agree with you too Jeb, I tried not to over enthuse on the Vietnamese express but it was wonderful. The best of it was a young Vietnamese man of 18 who boarded the train about 6 hours before we reached Hanoi, that day he had taken a train ride from Hanoi south, and then when we met him returned the same day.
His life ambition was to travel although he knows he has years of study in front of him first. For his first solo trip he chose train travel, so Rosie and I told him tales of wonder riding Amtrak, he became even more excited and kept shaking our hands.

Whole trip was worth it for that moment, bit like me having me meeting Michael Palin and having him to myself for 2 or 3 hours.

Last edited:
Both Vietnam and Japan are roughly in my neighbourhood - certainly close to our own timezone. I'm definitely keen to get aboard Vietnam's Reunification Express, but I'm totally unfussed about whether I get a ride on the Japanese superspeed ones.

I think that if you have never ridden a 200 mph train you must do it once, but again it's a personal opinion.

What's your preference?
My preference would be the Shinkansen. It's no surprise that HSR fails as a joyride for tourists. It's meant to be a fast, quiet, reliable, and frequent travel option for people who work long hours with limited personal time. I get enough slow, grimy, infrequent, and unreliable train travel at home, so there is little desire to search for more abroad. If the worst thing you can say about a train is that it lacks distractions and interruptions that sounds like perfection to me. If you warped the wheels, broke the sink, and sprinkled shouting passengers onto an otherwise bland and boring Shinkansen would it suddenly gain interest and character?

No Jim, we didn't come across hardly any French speakers at all. What they do appear to treasure from the French period is the extensive French infrastructure in respect of the Colonial? buildings which there are thousands and thousands. Also some of the new build in the cities is mimicking French architecture of the past too.

In some areas we felt quite at home, it felt more French than France at times. Some of the public buildings were quite magnificent especially in Ho Chi Minh City. In the north a lot more Chinese influence around the place, not surprising when you think the Chinese Border is only about 100 miles from Hanoi.

We're going to miss you next week, still time to head on down.
I will be there in Spirit!. Hugs to Rosie and to Alice when she arrives!

I fondly remember my times in the Baja and the trips out to see the Whales.( mine were on Fishing Boats, not the Eco Tourist Boats, but its really amazing to see them up close!)😎🥰

And of course there's the French Influence in some of the the Cuisine,( also in Mexico with the Bollios) still remember our trips to Hai Kai here in Austin for Bahn Mis!

My preference would be the Shinkansen. It's no surprise that HSR fails as a joyride for tourists. It's meant to be a fast, quiet, reliable, and frequent travel option for people who work long hours with limited personal time. I get enough slow, grimy, infrequent, and unreliable train travel at home, so there is little desire to search for more abroad. If the worst thing you can say about a train is that it lacks distractions and interruptions that sounds like perfection to me. If you warped the wheels, broke the sink, and sprinkled shouting passengers onto an otherwise bland and boring Shinkansen would it suddenly gain interest and character?

Possibly. We do have to get together sometime.

Back