Hurricane Dorian (2019)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I am aware of, but this one's going to be a doozie. Lot of uncertainty still about exact location of landfall. Virtually anywhere on the east coast of Florida or Georgia possible at present. We will know a bit more tonight and much more tomorrow morning.

I am dusting off my shutters, charging the battery for my drill all ready to get to work bolting on the shutters come Saturday. Other than that I am pretty much all set. The center of the cone is at present at Cape Canaveral. But the ensambles and hence the cone is moving quite a bit from Advisory to Advisory.

Not that I am aware of, but this one's going to be a doozie. Lot of uncertainty still about exact location of landfall. Virtually anywhere on the east coast of Florida or Georgia possible at present. We will know a bit more tonight and much more tomorrow morning.

I am dusting off my shutters, charging the battery for my drill all ready to get to work bolting on the shutters come Saturday. Other than that I am pretty much all set. The center of the cone is at present at Cape Canaveral. But the ensambles and hence the cone is moving quite a bit from Advisory to Advisory.
Stay Safe!!!

My clever plan to take the 97 from PHL to ORL on Sunday so I could go to the Disney Halloween Party on Monday is looking less and less clever.

My clever plan to take the 97 from PHL to ORL on Sunday so I could go to the Disney Halloween Party on Monday is looking less and less clever.
Disney may be closed on Monday - depending.......

The center of the cone is at present at Cape Canaveral. But the ensambles and hence the cone is moving quite a bit from Advisory to Advisory.

On the last map I saw, it looked like the center of the cone was over Melbourne (and I immediately thought of you). In Orlando, we are futher from the coast, but we still could get slammed. A friend just texted me to tell me that "her" Publix has sold out of water.

Wonder how far in advance Amtrak will cancel the 97 on 9/1, if they do.
Depending on the path (if it is South or Central Florida, Amtrak may terminate 97 in SAV or JAX. CSX will make the decision whether and where to close the tracks. You may have one or two day's notice.

Slivers will get impacted if this storm hits anywhere south of DC.

Sister cruise to St Thomas USVI became a cruise to Mexico. There trying to head back to Port Canaveral . Was scheduled for Saturday, may be earlier. She flying out of Orlando on Tuesday.

Last edited:
I'm supposed to be taking the Star the following weekend, I hope there is no severe damage that will impact my trip

I live far enough inland that we are seldom impacted by direct excessive damage - but we still get some high winds and rain, rain and more rain

I'm supposed to be taking the Star the following weekend, I hope there is no severe damage that will impact my trip
I am right there with you. I am scheduled to take the Meteor the following weekend.

On the last map I saw, it looked like the center of the cone was over Melbourne (and I immediately thought of you). In Orlando, we are futher from the coast, but we still could get slammed. A friend just texted me to tell me that "her" Publix has sold out of water.
There is no point in focusing on the center of the cone. Any point in the cone is equally likely to be on the actual final final path. At this stage the probability cone undergoes what we call the "windshield wiper effect". It will sweep back and forth north and south as it narrows until it finally settles down slowly to the final path. We are not even in the three day cone yet. That happens tomorrow. And the cone cover the entire eastern seaboard of Florida and Georgia.

But it is true that if it comes ashore in Brevard County you guys will get slammed with a Category 2 Hurricane in Orlando. It will then likely pass across Florida and possibly strengthen to a Category 4 over the Gulf, turn northwards and make landfall in the panhandle or further west. It is also possible that it will turn north much earlier and just skirt the coast of Florida. It all depends on how the two high pressure systems and a front up north behaves. There are only educated guesses until it actually happens.

So for now chill, prepare and watch.

Down here there is no shortage of anything yet. Trays of water were quite available a couple of hours back. Which reminds me I should gas up my car just in case.

I live far enough inland that we are seldom impacted by direct excessive damage - but we still get some high winds and rain, rain and more rain

I am right there with you. I am scheduled to take the Meteor the following weekend.

I am right there with yall! Meteor this coming weekend! I

Us great minds sure think alike! :p

Thinking about being proactive and seeing if I can move my departure to Saturday instead of Sunday...but also thinking just seeing if I can move everything around to avoid the hurricane altogether. I have a bit of flexibility here, basically the first three weeks in September to play with.

I am watching this development, with great interest, as it will be my first hurricane experience since moving to Florida this month. We were out shopping yesterday, and already the stores are limiting quantities of bottled water (4 cases per customer). And after a steady decline in gasoline rates this month, they jumped up yesterday....

It looks like, based on current tracking, that it will come directly over us in Tampa Bay. Hopefully, it will have weakened to a CAT-1 by then, but....

I am watching this development, with great interest, as it will be my first hurricane experience since moving to Florida this month. We were out shopping yesterday, and already the stores are limiting quantities of bottled water (4 cases per customer). And after a steady decline in gasoline rates this month, they jumped up yesterday....
Whereabouts in Florida are you located?

I just got back from my local Publix in Orlando. The overflow parking lot (across the street) was full and there were no shopping carts. Fortunately, I only needed produce and was able to put it in a small basket. Pallets of water were being wheeled in and staged in the area where shopping carts are normally stored. Lines were very long. I think 9 out of 10 people were buying at least 2 cases of water and some where buying the 4 case limit.

I have lived in Florida all my life and I have no idea how many hurricanes I have experienced. However, most were when I was a child in Miami (and no one was buying bottled water). I think Floridians get a bit crazy with bottled water. However, this storm looks very scary, even for those of us inland.

Amtrak is showing trains in/out of Florida on Sunday and Monday as sold out. I'm booked for the Autotrain supposed to leave Sanford on Monday afternoon. I assume that means I'm soon to be cancelled?

Amtrak is showing trains in/out of Florida on Sunday and Monday as sold out. I'm booked for the Autotrain supposed to leave Sanford on Monday afternoon. I assume that means I'm soon to be cancelled?
Showing trains as "sold out" is common place when Amtrak does not know if the train will be canceled. Amtrak does not want to sell any more seats/rooms if the train will be canceled.

If I had to guess, I would guess that the NB AT will be canceled on Monday, but often hurricanes drastically change paths. (I hope so).

The storm is still so far from Florida that The Cone of Silence is the logical selection.

Hopefully, all you East Coasters will be able to remark come Wednesday, "Missed it by that much."

Three of my daughters and my son-in-law all vend products - two of them sell chips and two sell tortillas.

The two who sell chips had to make a trip to Orlando today because they sold out and will not get another delivery till next week. The other girls had to order extra for their routes also.

Sales are looking to be very good for the next few days!

Three of my daughters and my son-in-law all vend products - two of them sell chips and two sell tortillas.

The two who sell chips had to make a trip to Orlando today because they sold out and will not get another delivery till next week. The other girls had to order extra for their routes also.

Sales are looking to be very good for the next few days!

I bought my "hurricane" chips this afternoon. :)

Last edited:
Back