Hurricane Harvey Texas Impacts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I'll be on the TE going through San Anton late Thursday night, trying to connect to Cardinal in CHI. Any advice from those who live in the area or have traveled through it a lot would be appreciated. And my best wishes for all in Harvey's path
Significant tropical system situation will persist till Wednesday with historic amounts of rainfall. Anything working as planned in the area appears somewhat iffy this coming Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
No evac train?
Is the Hurricane a Missed Opportunity for Amtrak?

200px-Cat_Chow.png

Queue the Man in Black:

"How high's the water, Mama?

She says it's two feet high and risin'.

How high's the water, Papa?

He says it's two feet high and risin'"

No evac train?
There is an evacuation train from Galveston operated by BNSF for the Galveston Rail museum. It has two Santa Fe painted F7 locomotives and I believe four passenger cars leaving the island. But an important note about this train. It is carrying NO PASSENGERS.

My personal opinion is that even though it is a very low capacity train I believe two coaches, a diner, and a sleeper. But every person you can get out is potentially one life saved. So I think personally they should be taking pax inland instead of empty equipment. But that's me.

6 PM CDT POSITION AND INTENSITY UPDATE... ...HARVEY BECOMES A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE... ...SUSTAINED HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS SPREADING ONTO THE MIDDLE TEXAS COAST...

6:00 PM CDT Fri Aug 25

Moving: NW at 8 mph

Min pressure: 941 mb

Max sustained: 130 mph

MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL9_storm_info_1280x720.jpg

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251655816954

2(25) will terminate at El Paso, where it will spin for 1 (26) departing on the 27th.

21/22 operations unaffected.
No word of notice for me? I'm booked for #422 in "the future" (few months out). If they put "sold out" for 1/2 and 421/422 for the forseeable future, I should have known about this by now.
If you're booked a few months out, why would you expect to hear anything?

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251655816954

2(25) will terminate at El Paso, where it will spin for 1 (26) departing on the 27th.

21/22 operations unaffected.
No word of notice for me? I'm booked for #422 in "the future" (few months out). If they put "sold out" for 1/2 and 421/422 for the forseeable future, I should have known about this by now.
You do know this is because of the hurricane? It has no effect on any service "a few months out."

Harvey is now a cat 4 as per msnbc. I spoke with an Amtrak rep today as I am traveling with 22 tomorrow. The Texas Eagle is being turned around at Longview TX and running.

Why would they turn the TE at Longview? SAS has seen no effects of Harvey same for AUS.
The rainfall totals for Austin and SAT are to be heavy with flash flooding possible with road closures.. If the rails can't be safely checked, maybe that's the wisest preemptive option.

http://abc13.com/travel/20000-cruise-ship-passengers-stranded-in-gulf/2341493/

20,000 cruise pax stranded till Tuesday. Not sure what condition their cars will be when they arrive.
Wet. Unless they paid for the indoor parking, in which case.... dry.
Until the garage floods. :(

Galveston didn't see much in the way of surge, certainly not enough to top the seawall.

We're gonna see a lot of rain today, and there could be some street type flooding down there, but Galveston is surrounded by water and not on any major rivers, so up in the lots they USUALLY* don't flood from rainfall.

*I'm just a weather forecaster, who lives halfway between Downtown Houston and Galveston, and has been known to cruise out of Galveston fairly frequently. YMMV. ;)

Back