Hurricane Henri 8/22/21

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daybeers

Conductor
Storm surges expected to be 3-5 feet, on top of possibly two high tide cycles due to tonight's Harvest Moon. Rain up to 8 or 10 inches in some places. If your area is prone to flooding, it's the last minute to prepare.

Amtrak has not announced anything as of yet, but CTtransit will stop all buses at midnight, along with the Metro-North New Haven Line and its branches and the Wassaic Branch. The Hudson & Harlem lines will run every two hours, but I have a feeling they will shut them down at some point. The Hartford Line & Shore Line East also stop at midnight, along with LIRR's Montauk Branch and between Ronkonkoma and Greenport.

Stay safe everyone.

Here's Amtrak's first announcement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Service Between New York and Boston is Canceled due to Hurricane Henri
Saturday, August 21, 2021 3PM EDT
Lake Shore Limited, Vermonter and Springfield service is also affected

All Northeast corridor service, including the Northeast Regional and Acela is canceled on Sunday, August 22 between New York and Boston due to severe weather impacts.
Lake Shore Limited service will continue to run between Chicago and Albany and the Vermonter will continue to run between Washington, DC and New York.
Amtrak is also suspending train service on the Springfield Line between New Haven, CT and Springfield, MA.
Amtrak service between Washington, DC and New York is not affected.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 1-800-USA-RAIL.
The most up-to-date train status is availble on Amtrak.com and in the free mobile app.
Follow us on Twitter for real-time service information:
  • @AmtrakNECAlerts for service information in the Northeast Corridor (Acela, Northeast Regional and other corridor services).
  • @AmtrakAlerts for service information outside the Northeast Corridor.
Subscribe at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts to receive automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations.
This information is correct as of the time and date above. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

It will be a massive rain event, which is not that good a thing in paved over urban areas. Also the fully loaded trees standing on saturated ground do not take much of a wind to push them over unfortunately. It is always a good thing when one of these don't live upto their billing. The Northeast is really not equipped to handle even a middling Category 1 very well. Good thing this one is down to a TS before landfall.

When Hurricane Isaias hit Delaware last year as a tropical storm, it did significant damage to trees below & above the C&D canal. I have pics of the fallen trees on the north side.

I am still concerned for my friends and relatives in CT and RI but am feeling slightly better about the situation now. Not ideal, but better than a hurricane.

Looks like it landed at Westerly, Rhode Island with 60 mph winds.

To our AU friends up there, we’re thinking of you—let us know how you’re doing.

NYC seems to have gotten a solid map of which parts of the subway need better protection against rain infiltration out of this.

Boston seems to be fine so far, but Henri's path may hit it more.

I wonder about all the Connecticut, Rhode Island, and western Mass towns but I haven't seen much news since landfall.

Any time there is a possible cancellation just remember. If MNRR shuts down that means Amtrak cancelled Gate thru New Haven. Cannot confirm but read MNRR even shuts the CAT off. That prevents any CAT caused fires and reduces the grid load very slightly if it is shut off.

"Storm surges expected to be 3-5 feet, on top of possibly two high tide cycles due to tonight's Harvest Moon. Rain up to 8 or 10 inches in some places. If your area is prone to flooding, it's the last minute to prepare."
Surges of 3 to 5 feet are a panic? good grief! Maybe these people need exposure to some real weather. If this sort of surge floods out anything in any rail or transit system, heads should roll.

"Storm surges expected to be 3-5 feet, on top of possibly two high tide cycles due to tonight's Harvest Moon. Rain up to 8 or 10 inches in some places. If your area is prone to flooding, it's the last minute to prepare."
Surges of 3 to 5 feet are a panic? good grief! Maybe these people need exposure to some real weather. If this sort of surge floods out anything in any rail or transit system, heads should roll.
Nobody here is panicking. Just a bad rain storm with strong winds. Power was out for about 100,000 people in Rhode Island and 30,000 in Massachusetts, but 30,000 in RI and 20,000 in MA have already got their power back on. It will probably be couple of days before all power is restored. There were no deaths reported in the Boston Globe, that I could see.

Many winter storms are much worse, and much longer lasting. We get either hurricanes or more commonly severe nor'easters (mostly rain) every few years. With rain storms, there is no snow to clog the streets for weeks afterwards.

I wish we could ship some of the rain to the West Coast, we've had way too much already this year. The ground is totally soaked, which makes it easier for the wind to knock the trees over.

Back