Hurricane Ian 2022 (effects on Amtrak)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak might have taken CSX JAX <> Lakeland EX SAL and backed to Kissimmee. Oh wait, beyond managements expert visions.
That is almost beyond what CSX would agree to setup on a good sunny day, much less in the middle of a flood crisis and a staff crisis.

If it could be set up why on earth would they back up to KIS instead of bussing from Tampa or Winter Heaven or to make it faster from the north, from JAX?

BTW we have no idea what the state of CSX is between Auburndale and WPB. Afterall the eye of a Cat 3 -> Cat 2 hurricane passed over Sebring dumping a whole lot of rain (couple of feet according to some reports causing the seldom used Flash Flood Emergency designation on weather maps) while at it.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any luck rescheduling a caceled train more than once without additional fees? I was due to take train 97 on Oct 4 but of course that route was canceled yesterday. I called to reschedule on train 91 with a bus connection from Jacksonville to Orlando, but now I'm thinking about traveling on another date.

Has anyone had any luck rescheduling a caceled train more than once without additional fees? I was due to take train 97 on Oct 4 but of course that route was canceled yesterday. I called to reschedule on train 91 with a bus connection from Jacksonville to Orlando, but now I'm thinking about traveling on another date.
I did not get a chance to ask that question because I switched to 92 from 98 and it was less money. However, if I was not able to switch to bus/92, I would have rescheduled and all the fares were more money and more points (I paid one way and did points the other-during the sale).

I just received a robo call and email stating that my return trip on Silver Star 91 on 10/6 has been canceled. I am on hold now to see if the bus bridge to Orlando from JAX will work on the way home.

I just received a robo call and email stating that my return trip on Silver Star 91 on 10/6 has been canceled. I am on hold now to see if the bus bridge to Orlando from JAX will work on the way home.
My return trip on 10/8 was canceled as well. I see the option for the bus bridge on 10/6 online, but no bus option on 10/8.

My return trip on 10/8 was canceled as well. I see the option for the bus bridge on 10/6 online, but no bus option on 10/8.
It may be. Although the bus bridge was not "offered" without asking, I was able to book 91 on 10/6 from NYP to ORL (with JAX-ORL by bus) - with a points refund.

It may be. Although the bus bridge was not "offered" without asking, I was able to book 91 on 10/6 from NYP to ORL (with JAX-ORL by bus) - with a points refund.
This is what I just received in an email:
We wanted to let you know that train #92, the Silver Star, from Orlando, Florida on Saturday, October 8th, has been affected due to a service disruption. Don't worry, we've already set up alternate transportation for some or all of your route, and there's nothing you need to do.

another alert:

Amtrak Resumes Modified Service in Parts of the Southeast​

October 01, 2022 03:30 PM ET

Amtrak will resume modified service to areas of the Southeast after severe weather. Amtrak has made the following service adjustments:​

• Auto Train 52/53 and Palmetto 89/90 will resume normal service beginning on Sunday, October 2nd, 2022
  • Silver Star 91 — scheduled to depart New York on Sunday, October 2, will terminate in Jacksonville, Florida, on Monday, October 3rd, 2022 Bus transportation will be provided for passengers traveling to Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa.
  • Silver Star 92 — scheduled to depart Miami on Monday, October 3rd, 2022 will originate in Jacksonville, Florida Service from Miami to Jacksonville, Florida, is canceled. Bus transportation will be provided for passengers traveling to Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 1-800-USA-RAIL.

• Silver Star 91 — scheduled to depart New York on Sunday, October 2, will terminate in Jacksonville, Florida, on Monday, October 3rd, 2022 Bus transportation will be provided for passengers traveling to Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa.
  • Silver Star 92 — scheduled to depart Miami on Monday, October 3rd, 2022 will originate in Jacksonville, Florida Service from Miami to Jacksonville, Florida, is canceled. Bus transportation will be provided for passengers traveling to Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville.
Amtrak really needs to get someone who knows the English language to proofread these things. Passengers traveling to JAX on 91 won't need a bus bridge. Passengers traveling on 92 will be departing from TPA & ORL, not traveling to them. And a period between "Florida" and "Service" would be helpful.

Amtrak really needs to get someone who knows the English language to proofread these things. Passengers traveling to JAX on 91 won't need a bus bridge. Passengers traveling on 92 will be departing from TPA & ORL, not traveling to them. And a period between "Florida" and "Service" would be helpful.
I noticed those mistakes, too. Editing is a lost art. (Now to review this post before I hit “Post Reply” 😁 )

Silver Star 92 — scheduled to depart Miami on Monday, October 3rd, 2022 will originate in Jacksonville, Florida Service from Miami to Jacksonville, Florida, is canceled. Bus transportation will be provided for passengers traveling to Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville.

I was also going to ask about this, because it's weirdly worded. Is Amtrak providing a bus to Jacksonville? I'm on 92 departing 10/13. Hopefully it would be cleared up by then, but I just want to know what to expect.

It appears they sent a canned notice that said no alternate transportation is available - which is the case if you are booked to or from a station south of Tampa - Arrow is also not showing the option if you book from a location requiring a connection for some reason. If you are booked between now and the 11th between New York and Tampa on the silver service they are going to run the “Super Star” each day to and from Jacksonville with bus connections to DeLand, Winter Park, Orlando, Kissimmee, Lakeland, and Tampa. If you are using any of those stops and receive a cancellation with “no alternate transportation provided” call and this should be available to you and in my case I got money and points back.

Last edited:
Cancellations south of Jacksonville have been extended. Now expecting 91 and 97 to resume the full route with trains originating in NYP on October 11. 92 and 98 showing resuming from Miami on October 12.

I'd say there is a good probability of further cancellations. It appears this all hinges on the washout in Kissimmee. Thankfully, CSX has reported no mainline service disruption damage.

It appears the bus bridge JAX-ORL-TPA is only for existing ticket holders. No new reservations are being taken.

Amtrak might have taken CSX JAX <> Lakeland EX SAL and backed to Kissimmee. Oh wait, beyond managements expert visions.

It makes absolutely zero sense to go to Kissimmee from the south. You could get there without backing up, but then you'd have to back up 30+ miles to Auburndale to head to Miami. Just... no.

Would it be nice to see the Star flip over to the S-Line and operate via Tampa to Miami like the good 'ole days of the Palmetto/Silver Palm? Sure. However, no Amtrak crews are qualified that way and CSX definitely doesn't have any spare conductors/engineers to pilot two daily trains over that route.

Back