Hurricane Ian 2022 (effects on Amtrak)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't the bridge south of Palatka now Amtrak? It is Amtrak Deland to Palatke. The Bridge just north of Sanford and south of DeBArry is Sun Rail.
It may be as I still think of that line as CSX but not sure who is responsible for maintenance. Last month a CSX track gang did a tie replacement and surfacing of a 3 mile industrial branch in Deland. If Amtrak/Sunrail is responsible for the bridges I hope they have a good contractor. Perhaps it’s CSX?

Amtrak just post more updates on more cancellations until Saturday, adding 2 more days to cancel it's services:

Temporary Service Adjustments in Advance of Hurricane Ian
September 27, 2022 04:30 PM ET
As Hurricane Ian approaches Florida, Amtrak is temporarily adjusting service on select routes as a safety precaution for customers and employees.
Wednesday, September 28

• Auto Train #52—scheduled to depart Sanford, Fla. on Wed. Sept 28 and arrive in Lorton, Va. on Thurs. September 29—is canceled entirely.
  • Auto Train #53—scheduled to depart Lorton, Va. on Wed. Sept 28 and arrive in Sanford, Fla. on Thurs. September 29—is canceled entirely.
  • Silver Star train #91—scheduled to depart New York on Wed. September 28 and arrive in Miami. on Thurs. September 29—is canceled entirely.
  • Silver Star train #92—scheduled to depart Miami on Wed. September 28 and arrive in New York on Thurs. September 29—is canceled entirely.
Thursday, September 29

• Auto Train #52—scheduled to depart Sanford, Fla. on Thurs. Sept 29 and arrive in Lorton, Va. on Fri. September 30—is canceled entirely.
  • Auto Train #53—scheduled to depart Lorton, Va. on Thurs. Sept 29 and arrive in Sanford, Fla. on Fri. September 30—is canceled entirely.
  • Silver Star train #91—scheduled to depart New York on Thurs. September 29 and arrive in Miami. on Fri. September 30—is canceled entirely.
  • Silver Star train #92—scheduled to depart Miami on Thurs. Sept 29 and arrive in New York on Fri. September 30—is canceled entirely.

Friday, September 30

• Auto Train #52—scheduled to depart Sanford, Fla. on Fri. September 30 and arrive in Lorton, Va. on Sat. Oct. 1—is canceled entirely.
  • Auto Train #53— scheduled to depart Lorton, Va. on Fri. Sept 30 and arrive in Sanford, Fla. on Sat. Oct. 1—is canceled entirely.
  • Silver Star train #91—scheduled to depart New York on Fri. September 30 and arrive in Miami. on Sat. Oct. 1—is canceled entirely.
  • Silver Star train #92—scheduled to depart Miami on Fri. September 30 and arrive in New York on Sat. Oct. 1—is canceled entirely.
Saturday, October 1

• Silver Star train #92—scheduled to depart Miami on Sat. Oct. 1 and arrive in New York on Sun. Oct. 2—is canceled entirely.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 1-800-USA-RAIL.
The most up-to-date train status is available on Amtrak.com and in the free mobile app.
Follow us on Twitter for real-time service information:
  • @AmtrakNECAlerts for service information in the Northeast Corridor (Acela, Northeast Regional and other corridor services).
  • @AmtrakAlerts for service information outside the Northeast Corridor.
Subscribe at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts to receive automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations.
This information is correct as of the time and date above. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.
Confused. Just called Amtrak and they said my trip is still on. I'm connecting in DC on Sat 10/1 to take 91 to Tampa. Am I misreading your post? TY

Below is an update from this morning (I am on pins and needles about my trip on 98 on Monday):

Amtrak Temporarily Adjusts Service Due to Hurricane Ian​

September 29, 2022 9:55 AM

As Hurricane Ian approaches Florida, Amtrak is temporarily adjusting service on select routes as a safety precaution for customers and employees.

Thurs. Sept. 29

Palmetto train #89 – scheduled to depart New York on Thurs. Sept. 29 will terminate in Washington, D.C.
Palmetto train #90 – scheduled to depart Savannah on Thurs. Sept. 30 will originate in Washington, D.C.
Silver Star train #92—scheduled to depart Miami on Thurs. Sept 29 and arrive in New York on Fri. Sept. 30—is canceled entirely.

Fri. Sept. 30

Auto Train #52—scheduled to depart Sanford, Fla. on Fri. Sept. 30 and arrive in Lorton, Va. on Sat. Oct. 1—is canceled entirely.
Auto Train #53— scheduled to depart Lorton, Va. on Fri. Sept 30 and arrive in Sanford, Fla. on Sat. Oct. 1—is canceled entirely.
Palmetto train #89 – scheduled to depart New York on Thurs. Sept. 29 will terminate in Washington, D.C.
Palmetto train #90 – scheduled to depart Savannah on Thurs. Sept. 30 will originate in Washington, D.C.
Silver Star train #91—scheduled to depart New York on Fri. Sept. 30 and arrive in Miami. on Sat. Oct. 1—is canceled entirely.
Silver Star train #92—scheduled to depart Miami on Fri. Sept. 30 and arrive in New York on Sat. Oct. 1—is canceled entirely.

Confused. Just called Amtrak and they said my trip is still on. I'm connecting in DC on Sat 10/1 to take 91 to Tampa. Am I misreading your post? TY
It appears that they have not announced cancellations for Saturday's 91 and 92. I am guessing it will be announced later today or tomorrow.

It appears that they have not announced cancellations for Saturday's 91 and 92. I am guessing it will be announced later today or tomorrow.
Yesterday the advisory had listed 92 only as canceled for Saturday, but they left it off today's update. Booking 92 on the website still says Canceled, but booking 91 says Sold Out.

Looks resuming the operation of the Star will take a while if this report from Trains is any indication.

“Kissimmee, near the southern end of SunRail’s 61-mile route, reported record flooding; Thursday video from WKMG-TV in Orlando shows the tracks used by SunRail and Amtrak undercut by flooding and blocked by downed trees.”

I would keep checking. Ian is now headed to the Carolinas, which could cause further impacts. And Amtrak doesn't have a stellar record on proactively notifying ticket-holders about changes and cancellations.

SunRail has a partial bridge washout in Kissimmee which should allegedly be stabilized enough to let trains pass at very reduced speed by Sunday.

I would keep checking. Ian is now headed to the Carolinas, which could cause further impacts. And Amtrak doesn't have a stellar record on proactively notifying ticket-holders about changes and cancellations.
Specially considering that the Star passes on trackage that is through areas expecting Tropical Storm and is notorious for trees toppling over onto track even with a minor whiff of a thunderstorm. But by the time the Saturday departures of 91 and 92 get there it will be well past the time that Ian passes by, so any damage would most likely be cleaned up by then.

Looks like 92(1) and 91(1) are now cancelled according to the Amtrak ticketing and reservation system.

Last edited:
another update from Amtrak:

September 30, 2022 10:45 AM

As Hurricane Ian moves along the Southeastern Coast, toward South and North Carolina, Amtrak is temporarily adjusting service on select routes as a safety precaution for customers and employees.

Friday, Sept. 30

Auto Train #52—scheduled to depart Sanford, Fla. on Fri. Sept. 30 and arrive in Lorton, Va. on Sat. Oct.
1 is canceled entirely.

Auto Train #53— scheduled to depart Lorton, Va. on Fri. Sept 30 and arrive in Sanford, Fla. on Sat. Oct. 1 is
canceled entirely.

Silver Star train #91—scheduled to depart New York on Fri. Sept. 30 and arrive in Miami. on Sat. Oct. 1 is canceled entirely.

Silver Star train #92—scheduled to depart Miami on Fri. Sept. 30 and arrive in New York on Sat.
Oct. 1 is canceled entirely.

Saturday, Oct. 1

Auto Train #52 — scheduled to depart Sanford, Fla. on Sat. Oct. 1 and arrive in Lorton, Va. on Sun. Oct. 2 is
canceled entirely.

Auto Train #53 — scheduled to depart Lorton, Va. on Sat. Oct. 1 and arrive in Sanford, Fla. on Sun. Oct. 2 is
canceled entirely.

Palmetto train #89 – scheduled to depart New York on Sat. Oct. 1 will terminate in Washington, D.C.

Palmetto train #90 – scheduled to depart Savannah on Sat. Oct. 1 will originate in Washington, D.C.

Silver Star train #91—scheduled to depart New York on Sat. Oct. 1 and arrive in Miami on Sun. Oct. 2 is canceled entirely.

Silver Star train #92 — scheduled to depart Miami on Sat. Oct. 1 and arrive in New York on Sun. Oct. 2 is
canceled entirely.

another update from Amtrak:

September 30, 2022 10:45 AM

As Hurricane Ian moves along the Southeastern Coast, toward South and North Carolina, Amtrak is temporarily adjusting service on select routes as a safety precaution for customers and employees.

Friday, Sept. 30

Auto Train #52—scheduled to depart Sanford, Fla. on Fri. Sept. 30 and arrive in Lorton, Va. on Sat. Oct.
1 is canceled entirely.

Auto Train #53— scheduled to depart Lorton, Va. on Fri. Sept 30 and arrive in Sanford, Fla. on Sat. Oct. 1 is
canceled entirely.

Silver Star train #91—scheduled to depart New York on Fri. Sept. 30 and arrive in Miami. on Sat. Oct. 1 is canceled entirely.

Silver Star train #92—scheduled to depart Miami on Fri. Sept. 30 and arrive in New York on Sat.
Oct. 1 is canceled entirely.

Saturday, Oct. 1

Auto Train #52 — scheduled to depart Sanford, Fla. on Sat. Oct. 1 and arrive in Lorton, Va. on Sun. Oct. 2 is
canceled entirely.

Auto Train #53 — scheduled to depart Lorton, Va. on Sat. Oct. 1 and arrive in Sanford, Fla. on Sun. Oct. 2 is
canceled entirely.

Palmetto train #89 – scheduled to depart New York on Sat. Oct. 1 will terminate in Washington, D.C.

Palmetto train #90 – scheduled to depart Savannah on Sat. Oct. 1 will originate in Washington, D.C.

Silver Star train #91—scheduled to depart New York on Sat. Oct. 1 and arrive in Miami on Sun. Oct. 2 is canceled entirely.

Silver Star train #92 — scheduled to depart Miami on Sat. Oct. 1 and arrive in New York on Sun. Oct. 2 is
canceled entirely.
So the Super Star consist that is in Miami should be part of your Meteor to NYP IF it runs??🤞

I talked to 2 agents yesterday and neither told me 91 was canceled. I told them the Amtrak Alert account on Twitter and folks here told me otherwise. So did the Status section on the Amtrak app. They were nice and accommodating when I asked to reschedule. Antrak used to contact me when trains were delayed.

So the Super Star consist that is in Miami should be part of your Meteor to NYP IF it runs??🤞
I am very doubtful that the Meteor will run on 10/3 but my fingers are crossed. I want to take the trip (but I am prepared for it to be canceled - in fact, I was just texting Kevin trying to decide if I want the refund in a voucher or credit to my BOA credit card, which may or may not transfer over to FNBO)

I am very doubtful that the Meteor will run on 10/3 but my fingers are crossed. I want to take the trip (but I am prepared for it to be canceled - in fact, I was just texting Kevin trying to decide if I want the refund in a voucher or credit to my BOA credit card, which may or may not transfer over to FNBO)
Hope you do get to go, but perhaps once things settle down in the SE a trip to NY anytime in October is great!

Glad you're OK, get some rest anx keep on keepin' on!

I still haven't heard from BOA or FNBO, my AGR Account ( I only have the No Fee Card now)Closes on the 7th. Supposedly we get points till Oct 20th on the BOA Card?

Based on Arrow it’s looking like the solution may be they’re just going to run one train to Jacksonville and bus further south as John Bobinyec suggested . I’m guessing it’s due to the damage in Kissimmee as the auto train still shows resuming Sunday. Then it looks like resuming the Meteor as soon as the line gets reopened (right now next Friday is first day showing two trains).

This evening, I received the dreaded email from Amtrak regarding 98 on 10/3:

Hi PENNY ,

We wanted to let you know that train #98, the Silver Meteor, from Orlando, Florida on Monday, October 3rd, has been CANCELLED due to a service disruption. Unfortunately, we don't have other transportation available.

Give us a call at 877-231-9448 to speak with an Amtrak Agent about your travel options.

We're sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for being a valued Amtrak customer - we'll see you onboard.

The most up to date arrival and departure times are available on Amtrak.com, our free mobile apps or by text or phone 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Back